Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my feelings hurt pretty bad a few days ago. Rolling on 288 South of Houston and a unbadged newer Mustang comes up along side and brakes like he wanted to race. I chuckled a bit and then he gasses it a bit. We evened back up and he hit it so I did and to my surprise he started inching up past me. At about 120 I started pulling back so of course he nails the brakes. I had to call a Mustang buddy of mine to get the scoop. He said people are getting close to 600hp from those EcoBoosts.

Oh well that gave me the excuse to order some parts. 2.45" pulley, aux pump and Flex Fuel kit is on the way!!!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Holy crap, I had no idea Ford was outfitting the Mustang with a 2.3 turbo again. Are they they really getting 600Hp out of these already? Thats a lot of bang for a buck even if it is a Mustang. I remember my Dad bought me a 79' Pace car when I was in high school. I thought 147 hp was the shit. Lol. They should've locked me up and thrown away the key back then.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's what my buddy told me and he pulled on me pretty good for a bit. Now I was heavy that day. I had 3 adults in car, full tank and a trunk full of crap but still. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Don't sell it. Just burn it to the ground...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Yeah. There are guys getting 750HP from the 2L motor in my Evo X. I can't imagine the motor and driveline last very long when they do. But they do.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yeah. There are guys getting 750HP from the 2L motor in my Evo X. I can't imagine the motor and driveline last very long when they do. But they do.
Lot of the Ecoboost F150's and SHO's since 2011 (or around that) seem to be doing fine while running 12's. Hard to be mad at that for a half ton truck/sedan. Only gotten better over the years.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Thats not even that crazy. I can't even count on one hand the number of people I personally know with over 1000whp in 4cyl subarus. 8 second cars on 8" wide wheels lol.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Those 4 cylinder Ecoboost Mustangs can be very surprising and hurt a lot of feelings. Our shop car has been 10.70 and the class racers are 9.60's Very impressive out of a 2.3 litre. But those are set up for drag racing mostly not something you could jump in and drive several thousands of miles.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
And be careful with the Ford 1/2 ton trucks running the v6 twin turbo set-up. I ran one from a dig and got my feelings hurt badly, lol. Of course he wasn't stock, had some bolt on's and a tune (I'm bone stock) and he had drag radials, but damn that stung getting whooped by a 4 door truck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wonder how reliable a 600hp 2.3L Eco motor is? I know lots of folks with 600+ hp Subies and sure, the are fast, but things break. Same with a buddy with a 750hp Evo, 2.3L fully built drivetrain. Fast but again things break. Compared to a 2016 CTS-V with well built 750 hp that mom could drive for years reliably.

Now I know the guy who tuned my WRX has an STI running under 10 sec 1/4 and it's a smooth running, daily driver. Been reliable so far, but he has $40k into it which does not include the time he spent developing the car, tuning etc.

Could you build a 600hp 2.3L ecoboost mustang and make it a reliable daily?

now what about a Lincoln MKZ, AWD 3.0L Ecoboost? stock is 400hp, where could that motor go?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I wonder how reliable a 600hp 2.3L Eco motor is? I know lots of folks with 600+ hp Subies and sure, the are fast, but things break. Same with a buddy with a 750hp Evo, 2.3L fully built drivetrain. Fast but again things break. Compared to a 2016 CTS-V with well built 750 hp that mom could drive for years reliably.

Now I know the guy who tuned my WRX has an STI running under 10 sec 1/4 and it's a smooth running, daily driver. Been reliable so far, but he has $40k into it which does not include the time he spent developing the car, tuning etc.

Could you build a 600hp 2.3L ecoboost mustang and make it a reliable daily?

now what about a Lincoln MKZ, AWD 3.0L Ecoboost? stock is 400hp, where could that motor go?
The Focus RS with the 2.3 ecoboost blow headgaskets like crazy even stock haha. Any factory 4cyl turbo motor won’t be reliable for long at more than 2x the stock hp it’s just facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lt1z

·
Registered
503 Posts
Our shop mule 2 years ago. This was record setting back then since the new age of V8 cars coming with Superchargers that has become more of our specialty compared to the turbocharged platforms from some years past. But the Ecoboost platform is still our bread and butter Taurus SHO,Flex, and any Ecoboost powered vehicle.

We have a customer with a 2.3 RS Focus making 430 AWHP and never had a head gasket fail or any other issues now that is pushing the limits on the stock internals and now we built an engine for him. Welded and strengthened the block in the weaker areas and deck braced the floating cylinders so this will strengthen the block to handle way more horsepower and this should make over 500 AWHP when said and done and be very reliable as a daily driver and the occasional weekend warrior.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
A member of my car club has an ecoboost Mustang and told me that yes, you can get a lot of power out of it, but not for long. There is a weak spot in the block straight out of the factory. Ford has yet to address it. There have been some owners who actual weld the spelt, attempting to give it some added strength. In all reality, there many engines capable of shit tons of power, but the question remains: how long will it last?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Our shop mule 2 years ago. This was record setting back then since the new age of V8 cars coming with Superchargers that has become more of our specialty compared to the turbocharged platforms from some years past. But the Ecoboost platform is still our bread and butter Taurus SHO,Flex, and any Ecoboost powered vehicle.

We have a customer with a 2.3 RS Focus making 430 AWHP and never had a head gasket fail or any other issues now that is pushing the limits on the stock internals and now we built an engine for him. Welded and strengthened the block in the weaker areas and deck braced the floating cylinders so this will strengthen the block to handle way more horsepower and this should make over 500 AWHP when said and done and be very reliable as a daily driver and the occasional weekend warrior.

Nice build. What is that awful buzzy sound? Lol.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Summer tires. It's making lots of noise but not moving very fast. lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts