Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my 5yr old split level home upstairs unit took a dump blowing hot air, its 88 degrees upstairs. So now we sleeping downstairs until this can be fix.

This is the 4th time this piece happen. 3x upstairs unit, down stairs unit 1x.

1st Problem was outside unit for upstairs

2nd Problem was the unit in the attic for the upstairs

3rd Problem was outside unit for upstairs

4th Problem was outside unit for downstairs

Not necessary in that order but overall I'm pissed :mad:

I only pay for the labor but these labor bills is unexpected expensive , parts are under warranty till 2023.
Over the 5 yrs of ownership I have roughly spent $ 2500, and now I have this new problem.

The unit I have is Goodman piece of shit.

1 Outside upper model # GSZ130361
1 Outside lower model # GSZ130241
1 Attic model# ARUF363616
1 Garage model # GSZ130361

Home is 2800 sq ft split level.

This piece has put my engine build on hold for now.

I really can justify to my wife that I still want my build and Replace the HVAC @ the same time.

What are you guys running (HVAC) in your home with successful results?

I was thinking about replacing everything 1 shot 1 kill or should I replace both outside units?

What would you do?

I'm just tired of being nickel and dimed by a HVAC unit..:mad::mad:

·
Registered
91 Posts
When a unit in one of my rentals go bad I usually just replace the whole damn thing. Better to just get that cheap crap out of there and start fresh.

I’ve been replacing with Lennox. 3 have been rock solid, the other 1 I’ve averaged about 1 service call a year. Always for the same stupid pressure sensor. But they’ve been good about covering parts and labor under warranty so it’s more a an inconvenience. All of these systems are <6 years old.

I also have an old Lennox in my personal home. It’s at least 25 years old and it’s a fricken work horse. Thing just won’t die.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
i always thought Goodman was a good brand...

for my downstairs i have a 5 ton central air Bryant... unit that is about 6 yrs old... it used to run the whole house including 3 BR and 2 BA upstairs, but we did a second fl extension last year so i added another 3 ton Amana unit as a dedicated 2nd zone for the upstairs... the Amana is nice, variable speed... slightly oversized for the 2nd floor but since cold air drops, it helps cool the first floor at night so i just turn off the bigger unit downstairs...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have you had the same company do the install and all of the repair work? Maybe it's time to find another HVAC company. We installed a Goodman unit at our old house, but we sold it about a year later so I have no data on operating experience. We have two Carrier units (upstairs/downstairs) at our current house and I don't know that I am thrilled (although they keep telling me they are great units). They were installed in 2010 and we are on our third blower motor for the air handler in the attic. Last year the TXV valve in the downstairs unit had failed and the evaporator coil was starting to leak. We decided to bite the bullet and replace the evaporator coil to the cost of $1900. The kick to the nuts was the jackass that did the install (before we bought the house) never submitted the warranty information, so Carrier would only honor a 5 year instead of the 10 year for parts. That meant I had to eat the full cost. We just had our semi-annual HVAC maintenance visit and they said the upstairs evaporator coil was starting to leak. So seven years for one and eight years for the other. That's terrible in my mind.

I have a buddy that worked in manufacturing for Trane and he said if you knew the failure rates from their sub-suppliers you would not buy from them either. Good luck and stay cool.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Our current house has a Trane unit and has been great. Its at least 15 years old and only had to replace the start capacitor which was like $5 and 5 mins. We just placed an offer on a house with two big Trane units so hope they are as good as this one has been.

·
Premium Member
14,367 Posts
I suspect a lot of companies have started sourcing most of their parts overseas over the past decade, likely accounting for the discrepancies.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have nothing but positive things to say about my Dakin system I put in a couple-3yrs ago. Living in Fla we have to run our A/C a lot. I went 16seer with 2 stage compressor and variable air handler.. My whole house is now the same temp and it controls the humidity to whatever % (usually 55) it is set to.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to thank everyone for your input and experience with your units.
I decided to go with a different company called Happy Hiller, the service guy was on point with his trouble shooting skills..

My original complaint was the upstairs' unit come to find out it was a faulty Capacitor (440v round dual 40/5/440 ) a $ 6.87 item cost me $ 199.00 included install. So now we got air. SMH...

So I mention can you check my downstairs unit just for the hell of it, ANOTHER PROBLEM check the capacitor and it was under voltage but working, he

mention it was just a matter of time, so he said the second capacitor would cost me $ 99.00 for install, now this item is a $ 7.39 item cost.( capacitor dual round 45/5/440)

I also had my Reversing valve replaced just a few weeks ago from a different HVAC co. So the tech pulled out a Leak detection device as soon as he went near the Reversing valve, and the alarm sounded off beeping steadily, checked it a few more times to confirm, because I just replaced it.

Well that piece alone was a $ 756.00 and that was a military discount.

By this time I hotter than my IAT2 on my V.

I just prayed about it and got it fixed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
I fired an HVAC company after 5 years of using them when I found out what the capacitor he used cost 10% of what he charged me.

I get paying for labor, I get paying for parts, I also get paying extra so they have parts on their truck, but I’m not paying 10x.

His loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with you, I may take up a few classes and learn that HVAC, stuff, and get a few basic tools for troubleshooting.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
The markup on service parts is ridiculous!

I'm fortunate to have a good friend that is able to fix anything HVAC or appliance related. All I have to do is pay him for the parts at his cost and the labor/installation is always free minus a steak and a few beers. In return, I help him with any auto related problems he needs help with.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Troubleshooting

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The markup on service parts is ridiculous!

I'm fortunate to have a good friend that is able to fix anything HVAC or appliance related. All I have to do is pay him for the parts at his cost and the labor/installation is always free minus a steak and a few beers. In return, I help him with any auto related problems he needs help with.
That's a good tradeoff.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I own around 2 million sq ft of commercial real estate. Shopping centers, office, industrial etc. I will never use a Goodman AC system. I have had some bad out of the box, had repairs needed on units a month old. It's warrantied but still not worth the hassle when I have tenants with no AC. I am in South Florida, AC is 100% required.

I have been using Rheem and RUUD as well as some Carrier for 3 to 10 ton systems.

The last time, about 4 years ago, my contractor installed a 5 ton Goodman unit and right from the start it would not keep cooling. They replaced a motor the next day. A week later another problem, and a week later the same motor failed. Goodman sent their regional rep who accused my contractor of a poor install and sent their own tech. Their tech said the motor failed, install was fine, the replacement motor was bad, the Goodman tech says he'll be back in 2 days with a new motor. The the arrived if found a RUUD AC system in it's place.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Troubleshooting

I just had the same part go out on mine last Sept, last yr on one of the hottest weekends of the yr. First issue I’ve had with my unit since I’ve been at this place ,15yrs and only issue since unit was new, 20+ yrs. we have a Amana.
i

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Daaaamn dude you got taken for a ride on capacitors...
I was freaking out when my AC died in the dead of summer last year but I did about 10 mins of the jazz hands routine on the old googler and figured out the capacitors are a super common problem with HVAC and I narrowed it down to the start capacitor because I could start the fan with my hand and it would run but it would just buzz and not start if I didn't push the fan first.

Like I said, it was like $5 and 5 minutes to fix it and I will always to my own research first before calling someone.

Similar thing with my wife's BMW the other day. It wouldn't run and she thought it was fucked, didn't throw any codes so I did some research and narrowed it down to probably the Idle Air Control Valve and so I took it out, it was seized shut and sprayed with throttle body cleaner and it fixed it right back up! $0 and a couple hours of work where I know it would have been over $1000 at the dealership throwing parts at it because it didn't throw a code!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I agree with you, after watching him troubleshooting, With a few basic tools I figure why not give it a shot next time.

Hopeful it won't be a next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
I replaced our unit a couple years ago with a York one. The HVAC company did work at a couple local friends so I trust them. They did work for other friends of mine after my install.

They had a 10yr warranty I picked up, $100 deduct for parts & labor. It was under 800 so not bad. I'm hoping it doesn't break but you never know.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Late to this thread, but here is my 2¢ worth:

1: I own an HVAC company (Professional Climate Control), and the amount of hacks we see out there is ridiculous.
2: Markup is a part of life - but not 1000%. I have to buy the part, pay somebody to pick it up (or pay delivery/shipping), and stock the part - which takes up real estate space, which I have to pay for. 30% is a fair markup IMO, and that's about what I charge. For a $3 part I will probably double the price.
3: My overhead is tremendous. Employee Salary, large workmans comp payments, unemployment, disability, liability, auto, bonding insurance, etc. Office staff, office rental, trucks, tools, on and on...
Rule of thumb is take my employees hourly wage times 2.5 is my total cost for that employee per hour.
4: Yeah, it's a $7 part. It still costs me over $100 to get my technician out to your house. See #3.
5: Yeah, it's a $7 part. How many of you have the training and schooling to be able to diagnose WHICH $7 part is bad?
6: I work mostly commercial and government contracts. Residential customers are the most difficult customers there are. They are a bunch of cunts.

Any questions?

Oh yeah - Goodman is the worst POS on the market. It's the contractors special (cheap crap). Google "Goodman AC Lawsuits". You get what you pay for. You want quality, buy a Trane, Lennox or York.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts