Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like high class Redneck at my house today. Going to dip the wheels Hyper Graphite and the grill and trim satin black. I'll post back with finished pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
I dipped my tbss rims, looked good for a while then i hated it. I ended up stripping them and getting them powder coated what i should have done the first time.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm on the fence with Vinyl wrap for the trim vs plasti-dip or similar. Good luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done with the wheels. Turned out pretty good. Could do a better job if I redo them. Not sure I'm sold on the color or not. Very close the the factory body color.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
turned out better then mine the first time I used plastidip.
Just remember to use A LOT so its easy to peel. I ended up using almost 1 whole can of black for the base per wheel and half a can of color per wheel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
turned out better then mine the first time I used plastidip.
Just remember to use A LOT so its easy to peel. I ended up using almost 1 whole can of black for the base per wheel and half a can of color per wheel.
Yep. I used 4 cans of black and 2 cans of Graphite pearl. Ended up being 5 coats of black and 4 coats of color. The center caps peeled perfectly. Went a little too heavy on my first coat and got a couple of runs in one wheel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to redo mine when it gets warmer. Had to get new tires put on and they scuffed some areas.
Yeah figured that would happen with a tire swap. Oh also no need to do that card trick. Tire shine the tires and the dip will peel off in one single ribbon. Just make sure you put a nice think coat on the tires each time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah figured that would happen with a tire swap. Oh also no need to do that card trick. Tire shine the tires and the dip will peel off in one single ribbon. Just make sure you put a nice think coat on the tires each time.

I never thought of that! that's a great idea.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
When I got my stuff from dip your car it came with some liquid stuff you rub onto the tires it keeps the plastidip from sticking to the tire. When I was done I peeled it and it just fell off the tire while staying on the rim.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I got my stuff from dip your car it came with some liquid stuff you rub onto the tires it keeps the plastidip from sticking to the tire. When I was done I peeled it and it just fell off the tire while staying on the rim.
Yep same stuff I used. It's just tire shine though.

Paul

·
Registered
44 Posts
To the poster above on the fence about dipping or wrapping things. Front grilles are great with dip as you will get rock chips then its as simple as a 1 minute respray where it got chipped off. Side vents are great dipped as well. All chrome trim however is better painted black or vinyl wrapped. Vinyl wrapping isn't hard just takes time and I prefer regular Oracal 651 vinyl to any of the wrap vinyl for the trim because you want it to only bend when heated whereas you can cold bend the wrap vinyl and when it get colder it will try and go back to its original state whereas regular heated vinyl will not. Adhesive promoter on all areas as well. it comes in little alcohol swap packs on ebay too. everyone above looks like they did a great job dipping the wheels but its just not permanent and worse on our cars as fast as we go through tires. Every time you change tires the shop will mess up the dip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts