Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

261 - 280 of 379 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
Bill gates responded to a question like this on I think 60 minutes or chronicle last week. Says he simply pays money out of pocket on the order of tens of millions to offset his environmental impact, your average joe ain’t touching that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So Bill Gates pollutes like a Mfer and then just throws money at it to make it ok......laughable

I would love to see an accounting of where his millions in carbon credits goes.

For some perspective......

Bill gates carbon footprint 7493 metric tons
Average American 16 metric tons.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only supercharger set up near me is about 15 miles away in a meijer parking lot. It’s not the safest part of town.

I would think you would be a sitting duck for criminals. They know you are going to be locked in for 20 min......

Think of the average Tesla owner profile. Easy target?

You know I never thought of that but it’s true. If you stop for gas in a shitty place it’s a 5 minute stop. Stopping to charge ya Rusta at least 20 minutes or more. Makes you very vulnerable. Wow. Not good.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You know I never thought of that but it’s true. If you stop for gas in a shitty place it’s a 5 minute stop. Stopping to charge ya Rusta at least 20 minutes or more. Makes you very vulnerable. Wow. Not good.
I like the battery pack method, simply because of how fast you are back on your way compared to todays method of waiting for a charge, though not sure how to scale it to a vehicle that drives 300 miles/charge and across platforms. Here's a company that does it for ebikes and stuff. Would keep a close eye on everything via revolving inventory too. "Back on your way in 6 seconds"

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
Does Tesla still have the quick change battery stations?

I would be concerned that I would get a junk battery with high mileage.

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honestly this whole thing I find terrible. Having to stop to charge more than five minutes. Terrible. Changing out battery packs if it’s even realistic. Terrible. Planning out stops using navigation and plotting around charging stations. Terrible. Not to mention if you’re planning stops using the Tesla nav and it has you down to sit say 20-30% battery and planning to stop soon if you run into a road closure due to a spill or bad accident you could be stuck in crawling traffic merging into one lane and one exit which could take 2-3 hours. It’s happened to me over the years on occasion and if you’re low battery you’re getting stranded and it’s not like you can call aaa to bring you some gas to get you going real quick to the nearest gas station off the next exit. You need to find a charger. Terrible.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Honestly this whole thing I find terrible. Having to stop to charge more than five minutes. Terrible. Changing out battery packs if it’s even realistic. Terrible. Planning out stops using navigation and plotting around charging stations. Terrible. Not to mention if you’re planning stops using the Tesla nav and it has you down to sit say 20-30% battery and planning to stop soon if you run into a road closure due to a spill or bad accident you could be stuck in crawling traffic merging into one lane and one exit which could take 2-3 hours. It’s happened to me over the years on occasion and if you’re low battery you’re getting stranded and it’s not like you can call aaa to bring you some gas to get you going real quick to the nearest gas station off the next exit. You need to find a charger. Terrible.
You could insert "gas/diesel" into everywhere you wrote battery and it would still be the same story, minus the refueling. ICE ain't perfect either. Seems we are in the midst of a paradigm shift of transportation technologies and will have to live through the slow and painful process of infrastructure developments and conversion.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Does Tesla still have the quick change battery stations?

I would be concerned that I would get a junk battery with high mileage.

Never heard of those, I did hear they wanted to use a server blade approach for their batteries which would allow them to stack etc. Probably could morph relatively easily into swapping them out at quick change stations. Instead of a texaco on every corner, it would be a Teslaco.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Bill gates responded to a question like this on I think 60 minutes or chronicle last week. Says he simply pays money out of pocket on the order of tens of millions to offset his environmental impact, your average joe ain’t touching that.

carbon credits, its so dumb.
I have a customer who is a broker for these things- yes there is a whole business of brokering these things
its a joke. you want to be clean- be clean just because you bought credits you are only interested in the optics of your business being "carbon neutral" . its IMPOSSIBLE to be 100% carbon neutral. the phrase is snake oil

·
Super Moderator
21,178 Posts
carbon credits, its so dumb.
I have a customer who is a broker for these things- yes there is a whole business of brokering these things
its a joke. you want to be clean- be clean just because you bought credits you are only interested in the optics of your business being "carbon neutral" . its IMPOSSIBLE to be 100% carbon neutral. the phrase is snake oil
It is huge business. Refineries and power plants are actually making large purchases based on carbon credits....I mean, like changing out major pieces of equipment, it’s not that they are saving a ton (no pun intended) of money in higher efficiently it’s that their rated consumption goes down so that they are, on paper, able to sell more carbon credits.

The value of these is in hundreds of millions of dollars.

Another one I find fascinating: converging oil refineries to bio-diesel processing plants.

They use soybean oil as feedstock to produce a biodiesel fuel. These plants are in places like the upper Midwest (I don’t want to disclose the actual plant) and the fuel is shipped to CA (well, technically I think they use rail cars primarily).

The reason: the owners of these plants (I call them plants but they were refineries just before the conversion) make more profit per gallon than the retail price of petroleum diesel sells for here, which, is:

Again, they are PROFITING more than the retail price...and if that doesn’t jar you, or upset you, then I would like to know and maybe have some of that what you are on.

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
Elites do the most polluting, yet cry the most about climate change (can’t call it global warming because it confuses the narrative when things like what happened in Texas occurs).

Hard to respect gates,gore, Hollywood etc with the do as I say, not as I do.

Now gates want us to eat fake meat? Yeah no.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Elites do the most polluting, yet cry the most about climate change (can’t call it global warming because it confuses the narrative when things like what happened in Texas occurs).

Hard to respect gates,gore, Hollywood etc with the do as I say, not as I do.

Now gates want us to eat fake meat? Yeah no.

how many yachts and private jets were at the google meeting on climate last week or 2? lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
You could insert "gas/diesel" into everywhere you wrote battery and it would still be the same story, minus the refueling. ICE ain't perfect either. Seems we are in the midst of a paradigm shift of transportation technologies and will have to live through the slow and painful process of infrastructure developments and conversion.
I'm sorry but I don't see the correlation. Gas is available everywhere and easy to access and takes no time at all. Nothing to plan out just get in your car and drive and when you need gas it's never a problem. How is that not different?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't see the correlation. Gas is available everywhere and easy to access and takes no time at all. Nothing to plan out just get in your car and drive and when you need gas it's never a problem. How is that not different?
I completely agree that they're different levels of going out of your way/getting caught in a pinch, but gas runs out too eventually if you're stuck on the highway or if you're on a long route with "no gas for next 50 miles" signs then youre planning out your fueling route through the nav the same way etc.. The same fundamental issue applies. Of course a gas station is easier to come by, and infrastructure for EV's is low, but you can trip across the US in an EV or charge your battery by driving down a road in sweden: EV-charging roads have arrived. Here's why we do (and don't) need them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I completely agree that they're different levels of going out of your way/getting caught in a pinch, but gas runs out too eventually if you're stuck on the highway or if you're on a long route with "no gas for next 50 miles" signs then youre planning out your fueling route through the nav the same way etc.. The same fundamental issue applies. Of course a gas station is easier to come by, and infrastructure for EV's is low, but you can trip across the US in an EV or charge your battery by driving down a road in sweden: EV-charging roads have arrived. Here's why we do (and don't) need them.
Not only is gas more available and easier to find the real crux of it is you don't have to sit for 20-40 minutes like a moron waiting.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
its also a bit easier to grab a gas can versus a portable generator or towing a trailer of batteries

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Yes, but your logic failed: Unavowed isn't an actual person. Therefore, I am not making fun of someone's brother's purple dildo car. Besides, Greg likes it when I tickle him with dildos while I sniff his hair from behind. It's... it's like when we used to joke with each other in the Old Days of the Forum.

I'm so good at this, I could be President!
Possibly/probably true....

Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
Unless you’re charging the car using nuclear or hydro power plants for power that’s hardly green. Not to mention line others have said when building the car it is hardly green. Also the morons in Washington shoving this bullshit green agenda down our throats are the biggest hypocrites I’ve ever seen. They have the biggest carbon footprint over anyone. With their huge houses and private jets. He’ll even flying commercial has a huge carbon footprint. They are so full of shit. It’s all nonsense.
Haven't you heard? 25% of all power in Texas is wind. And nat gas is like half the footprint of gas cars. So we good.

The only supercharger set up near me is about 15 miles away in a meijer parking lot. It’s not the safest part of town.

I would think you would be a sitting duck for criminals. They know you are going to be locked in for 20 min......

But you still have to go to gas stations. I've only supercharged a dozen times ever.

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
Tesla Tazer in next update

Reactions: nsaness

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Most EV's do all the planning for you,.too.

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #280

Well this target is armed, trained, fit, and I've gotten decent at Judo. Not sure where you saw my profile but if you fuck with me while charging I won't hesitate to flip you then shoot you. Twice.

And by "you" I mean the general "you". But please ID yourself as a forum member just to be safe!

261 - 280 of 379 Posts