Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

221 - 240 of 378 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
As of Dec 2020 there are 1.74 million plug in EV’s in the US of 290 million total registered vehicles.

Infrastructure has a ways to go.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts

Drove mine from California to Colorado . Supercharging was great! Yeah it took longer than a fill up and go at the gas station , but we had extra time to enjoy the road trip. The only supercharging station we had issues with was the one in Vegas, they need more superchargers there. We waited about 45 minutes in line to charge, once we hooked up we ,got off to eat and after that we were on our way! I love my Tesla Model 3 dual motor . Also, I can’t wait for this stadium to open up! PSL holder here! RaiderNation!

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
Everyone talks about the "latest generation" as being so much safer than ICE's. Except they say that for every generation - without recognizing that they were wrong before. :D Again, the Fanboi propaganda machine: everything is awesome, all of the time. When people have to convince you how awesome something is, it makes you wonder why they have to in the first place?

In no way is this a dig against TTex, because he's always been an enthusiastic, standup guy here on the forums! I am really just remarking on the appearance of the Tesla Community in general. And Unavowed's brother, because his Tesla looks like a giant purple EV dildo. And I can just imagine him wanting to slather that thing ALL over the west coast, going in and out, in and out, in and out of places he has no business going in and out of - just so he can say he did with that Barney Dick Tesla.

I honestly think I'd be on board with almost any EV from a mainstream company at this point - I have to admit I just don't like Teslas (in spite of their admittedly awesome tech and performance). Maybe the next gen of styling will change my mind?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
It's a hair over 1,000 miles one way, so he breaks the trip into 2 days. My 75 year old parents do the same when driving out there and back in an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

Drove mine from California to Colorado . Supercharging was great! Yeah it took longer than a fill up and go at the gas station , but we had extra time to enjoy the road trip. The only supercharging station we had issues with was the one in Vegas, they need more superchargers there. We waited about 45 minutes in line to charge, once we hooked up we ,got off to eat and after that we were on our way! I love my Tesla Model 3 dual motor . Also, I can’t wait for this stadium to open up! PSL holder here! RaiderNation!

Just seeking clarity...so the total time one way was about 2 to 2 1/2 hours longer from some place in California to Vegas.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
It's a hair over 1,000 miles one way, so he breaks the trip into 2 days. My 75 year old parents do the same when driving out there and back in an ICE vehicle.
So did my grandparents. When I was in Tallahassee for college...that was the upper range of their endurance from Tampa Bay.

2 days to do what at lot of people, me including me, would do in one.

That delay is with limited number of EVs on the road which would only increase in delay times as the number of EVs increase.

·
Super Moderator
21,178 Posts
Just seeking clarity...so the total time one way was about 2 to 2 1/2 hours longer from some place in California to Vegas.
My parents lived in Vegas...I recall one time driving the 271 miles to their house in 3.25 hours. I was driving a 1994 Thunderbird with 4.6L (all stock, just to clarify), had to stop to take a leak, and even noted how long it took me to to get off the freeway, do my business (In n Out) and get back up to 65 mph.

I also had about 1/3 tank of fuel when I arrived at their house.

Fwiw, there were no charging stations back then. I think my cell was an analog motorola flip phone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmm, I’m trying to remember, I bought it in July 2020. So We left north Hollywood area with a full charge , supercharged for about 40 minutes in Baker CA then made it to Vegas on that charge. About 270 miles from North Hollywood to Vegas. Since ownership, I’ve had to replace one tire (warranty) due to sidewall bulge, hit a big pothole here in Denver. The charging cable was replaced under warranty. Tesla service came out to replace it at my house. I could still supercharge if needed.

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
For a model 3 or S or X.....what is the typical
Charge time and resultant range?

Let’s use a 1000 mile road trip as example.

How many charge stops and how long for each charge assuming a charger is available?

My F150 would take one fill up at say 5 min assuming I started trip with a full tank.

5 min fill up based on US standard of 10 gallons per minute and a 36 gallon tank, plus credit card swipe time.

Average Tesla gets 275 miles range.

1000-275 miles initial charge leaves 725 miles

25 min supercharger gives 150 miles.

725/150 is roughly 5 charges at 25 each.....is just over 2 hours of charge time..... perhaps an additional charger stop based on next available supercharger on your route to alleviate anxiety.

·
Registered
14 Posts

How many charge stops and how long for each charge assuming a charger is available?

My F150 would take one fill up at say 5 min assuming I started trip with a full tank.

5 min fill up based on US standard of 10 gallons per minute and a 36 gallon tank, plus credit card swipe time.

725/150 is roughly 5 charges at 25 each.....is just over 2 hours of charge time..... perhaps an additional charger stop based on next available supercharger on your route to alleviate anxiety.

Yeah ,I also think that driving a gas vehicle will make the road trip total time less than an EV. I’ve done one road trip in the Tesla. I’d do it again if I wasn’t trying to rush to the destination. It’s a fantastic car. For daily driving, I charge it maybe every 3 days at home. We have an SRT Jeep, 4runner for off roading,camping, hiking , fishing etc(plenty of beautiful trails here I’m Colorado) , and the tesla is the vehicle we enjoy driving the most.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
250kw would indeed get your to 80% in under 20 mins in a new Model S.

Risk of fire is a good bit lower than any gasoline car with the latest changes to the BMS and pack design. Guys - let's be realistic - we took huge chances of fire modifying the fuel system on our V's. There was no OEM-level safety testing. And yet the risk was acceptable. BEV's will be far safer in the fire risk category - and I am sure real-world data will bear that out.

The Taycan - in theory - can charge at 270kw. But the number of stations capable of delivering that is right now all but useless to most people. The chances of finding EVERY station along any given road trip route you need to take is effectively ZERO. No one is going to build a massive network of 350kw stations for a few thousand Taycans in the US.
I was simply refuting your statement about the Tesla being the fastest charging.
Even as you pointed out electrify America is rolling out up to 350kw chargers.
And also I would prefer my car be future proof and able to charge faster as the charging networks mature (which they are very quickly).

you sure do hate on the Taycan, suddenly when it is better at something that metric all of a sudden doesn’t matter. Loool
Fanboy gunna fanboy.

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
I was simply refuting your statement about the Tesla being the fastest charging.
Even as you pointed out electrify America is rolling out up to 350kw chargers.
And also I would prefer my car be future proof and able to charge faster as the charging networks mature (which they are very quickly).

you sure do hate on the Taycan, suddenly when it is better at something that metric all of a sudden doesn’t matter. Loool
Fanboy gunna fanboy.

Oh you misread. I dont think I said anything bad about the Taycan. I think its a really good car. Its a bit heavy for its pack size and power. But I'm certain the chassis dynamics is the usual Porsche magic.

So you are good with 350kw? No fire or battery damage risk there? And how many of these are there right now? That's my issue. And they'll gradually increase. Tesla can use them too no problem.

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #234

How many bathroom breaks? I did a 1000 mile trip. Added about an hour total time, but wasn't a big deal. Very few ppl will drive that far in a single day tho.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
My parents lived in Vegas...I recall one time driving the 271 miles to their house in 3.25 hours. I was driving a 1994 Thunderbird with 4.6L (all stock, just to clarify), had to stop to take a leak, and even noted how long it took me to to get off the freeway, do my business (In n Out) and get back up to 65 mph.

I also had about 1/3 tank of fuel when I arrived at their house.

Fwiw, there were no charging stations back then. I think my cell was an analog motorola flip phone.

You stopped to take a leak? That’s what a Gatorade bottle is for.

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Everyone talks about the "latest generation" as being so much safer than ICE's. Except they say that for every generation - without recognizing that they were wrong before. :D Again, the Fanboi propaganda machine: everything is awesome, all of the time. When people have to convince you how awesome something is, it makes you wonder why they have to in the first place?

In no way is this a dig against TTex, because he's always been an enthusiastic, standup guy here on the forums! I am really just remarking on the appearance of the Tesla Community in general. And Unavowed's brother, because his Tesla looks like a giant purple EV dildo. And I can just imagine him wanting to slather that thing ALL over the west coast, going in and out, in and out, in and out of places he has no business going in and out of - just so he can say he did with that Barney Dick Tesla.

I honestly think I'd be on board with almost any EV from a mainstream company at this point - I have to admit I just don't like Teslas (in spite of their admittedly awesome tech and performance). Maybe the next gen of styling will change my mind?
Well let's be clear - I think ALL of us realize there's a highly toxic element to some Tesla fans. No argument there. I have to regularly block them on various platforms.

And look...let's be like we've always been here. Taking shots at someone's ride I don't recall ever being cool. We've always been good to say we don't like it, even hate it. But we've always been supportive of different likes and tastes. Just saying treat people the way we'd treat any forum member in that regard. The front end of the Model 3 I agree looks funny from some angles. But I've seen some really good looking ones too. Maybe given the new aero of the Model S & X refresh maybe the 3 will get similar treatment.

Not sure what you meant about always being wrong...if that was about fires I think we have a few issues that make that hard to debate...

One is the age of vehicles. Teslas are all new and not modified, whereas gas cars are of every age and mod level.

The other is sample size - there are millions of other cars on the road and far less EV's. So any statistical comparison is hard to draw as often the stats are expressed in hundreds of millions of miles driven, or somesuch scale that makes comparisons more subject to natural data variations that about the actual issue being measured.

My 0.02 for now.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Oh, and when dumping the Gatorade bottle out of the car window, always supinate. Never go pronated. Just don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

221 - 240 of 378 Posts