Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've tried searching for an answer to this but haven't found anything so I created an account in hopes of getting some info. V2s are just now starting to reach the end of that 10 year extension GM provides for replacing superchargers that develop the rattle with spring isolator.

My problem: I'm wanting to pull the trigger on a 2010 V2 A6 sedan with about 35k miles, but the SC hasn't been replaced yet and now it's nearly the end of 2020... Can I install the solid isolator to avoid any future problem or am I just gambling at this point since I couldn't take it to a dealer for a free replacement at this point...

I've been wanting to own a V2 forever but I can't deal with the idea that I may be on the hook for a new SC or according to GM, even worse - the engine ceasing if the problem is apparently bad enough.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Also, take into consideration, that not all LSAs experience the rattle issue and if they do, the level of noise varies. I have an '09 with 33k-miles, with no discernable rattle. Cross that bridge if and when you come to it. Overall, the V2s are bulletproof.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've tried searching for an answer to this but haven't found anything so I created an account in hopes of getting some info. V2s are just now starting to reach the end of that 10 year extension GM provides for replacing superchargers that develop the rattle with spring isolator.

My problem: I'm wanting to pull the trigger on a 2010 V2 A6 sedan with about 35k miles, but the SC hasn't been replaced yet and now it's nearly the end of 2020... Can I install the solid isolator to avoid any future problem or am I just gambling at this point since I couldn't take it to a dealer for a free replacement at this point...

I've been wanting to own a V2 forever but I can't deal with the idea that I may be on the hook for a new SC or according to GM, even worse - the engine ceasing if the problem is apparently bad enough.

Any and all help is appreciated!
call denny menholt chevrolet GMC cadillac in billings montana and ask for Peyton she will help you
her prices are cheaper than anyone else

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just sold my 2010 with 209,000 miles. I received the dreaded letter as well. Nothing ever rattled. It was still pulling to 6,500 rpm when it left. I would worry about the next asteroid that will be hitting us. You'll get a lot more traction with that one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry to bump a somewhat old thread.

I bought my 2010 V Sedan about a month ago and LOVE it. I had to compromise a bit as it's an auto and I've strictly owned MTs for every car I've owned over the last 15 years. It only had 41k miles and was immaculate so I couldn't pass it up, anyway returning to the topic of this thread:

Are there consequences to driving the V for an extended amount of time after you hear the supercharger rattle?

Sorry for asking way too many questions on this topic, I've just found some conflicting info on other forums.

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to bump a somewhat old thread.

I bought my 2010 V Sedan about a month ago and LOVE it. I had to compromise a bit as it's an auto and I've strictly owned MTs for every car I've owned over the last 15 years. It only had 41k miles and was immaculate so I couldn't pass it up, anyway returning to the topic of this thread:

Are there consequences to driving the V for an extended amount of time after you hear the supercharger rattle?

Sorry for asking way too many questions on this topic, I've just found some conflicting info on other forums.

Thanks!
I don't know about the rattle, but I guarantee if one is there it gets fixed. A rattle in the engine can come to no good end. I loved my 2010 M/T. 209,000 miles. Replaced with a M/T Z07. Gave up quite a bit in ride and sound quality.

·
Super Moderator
17,218 Posts
No negative effect from the rattle, new superchargers also rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting comment on superchargers. I never heard the first peep from mine. It was not because I never used it. Plus, it was one of those extended warranty superchargers. I never needed the warranty.

Question: If I had gone to the dealer with the rattle then he would have said they all do that?

There was a reference to a rattle in a 2014 thread under engines/superchargers. It was titled
2014 CTS V wagon with 1200 miles getting supercharger replaced do to supercharger rattle.

It was a guy with a new 2014 V that took it in for what he thought was an exhaust rattle. The dealer came back and said no, we need to install a new supercharger.

Is there something different about supercharger rattles in 2014? The conversation referred to a spring isolator verses a solid isolator.

·
Super Moderator
17,218 Posts
2009-2013.5 super chargers came with original spring isolators, they rattled over time but created no harm. GM engineers came on the other Cadillac forum to explain the rattle.

GM then decided to do a Technical Service Bulletin and offered a 10 year 120k mile courtesy replacement due to having bad publicity with the key cylinder recalls, in other words, GM went overboard with TSB’s on all annoyance issues. This is not exactly a warranty.

2013.5-2014, New V’s and replacement SC’s came with solid isolators and were not included in the TSB. There was a different resonance noise, especially in MT cars.

The solid isolators with stock SC pulley seem to hit a resonance frequency, easy fix is to put on a smaller pulley.

2014+ GM went back to an updated spring isolator and that is what you get today. Still rattle after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine was a manual. I guess I was just fortunate. Not that adding a smaller pulley would have hurt my feelings to kill some resonance problems. So now I have to ask. Will my manual Z07 suffer the same rattle? I know it is a different SC unit, but I figure there are similiarities.

I guess the bottom line is I need to be more attentive.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
2009-2013.5 super chargers came with original spring isolators, they rattled over time but created no harm. GM engineers came on the other Cadillac forum to explain the rattle.

GM then decided to do a Technical Service Bulletin and offered a 10 year 120k mile courtesy replacement due to having bad publicity with the key cylinder recalls, in other words, GM went overboard with TSB’s on all annoyance issues. This is not exactly a warranty.

2013.5-2014, New V’s and replacement SC’s came with solid isolators and were not included in the TSB. There was a different resonance noise, especially in MT cars.

The solid isolators with stock SC pulley seem to hit a resonance frequency, easy fix is to put on a smaller pulley.

2014+ GM went back to an updated spring isolator and that is what you get today. Still rattle after a few thousand miles.

I "got" the idea of the spring vs solid for easing strain but it was/is the wear on the shaft that was my issue. I wondered if they looked at staying with the spring that was a slightly larger diameter than the first iteration with a teflon sleeve on the shaft to prevent that metal on metal friction wear.

·
Super Moderator
17,218 Posts
The spring wore the shaft but only so far

·
Registered
3 Posts
From early on my '13 wagon had the rattle which never changed. My plan was to ride it out if it didn't intensify or develop a squeal and have replaced near the end of the warranty with a squeaky clean free new one. Just had the swap last week. Completed in a day. No questions asked despite CC, CAI, and axle-back exhaust mods. I have no idea what coupler I have but now there is no bearing or shaft wear and the lubricant is fresh. I do however now hear a whirring noise from the snout at startup with a cold engine that becomes louder with increased rpm. It is gone in a minute or two and is temperature related as it is not present if I apply external heat to the snout beforehand. I suspect the "problem" will abate in time and not likely be present as the weather warms or I may make use of the year I have left on the warranty. I might have brought it to the attention of the the dealership had the sound not quit before I could do so. There are no noises of any kind at operating temperature. Am I the only one to experience this? Do I assume I now have an "improved" spring isolator?

·
Registered
100 Posts
My '13 has a build date 3/13. Anyone know for sure if this is a 2013.5 or later?
Per the SB the coverage is 2009-2013 CTS-V's.
Mine was replaced in 2012 with the original GMPN and then again in June of 2020 at 95k miles with the new GMPN. Rattled at idle so no questions asked. Dealer ordered it one day and installed it the next free of charge.
Reference bulletin attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have just over 33K miles and engine sounds normal. Maybe it is a later '13 with a solid coupling. I still have 2 more years of warranty so I'm not concerned.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts