Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So having oil pressure drop off 300 miles after you do a cam swap sucks a big one.. Here I am again, but this time I have pulled the whole engine.. the only two things that kind of suck are the a/c compressor bolts on the bottom and the eng mount arms (should have pulled the loose while I had the engine lifted)
Initial look after pulling the cam tells me some shit is afu , not sure if it's from pump or not enough assembly lube or what.. all I know is it was fine for 300 miles. It's the risk we take.. I'll get the rest of it torn down an start working with the local LS machine shop on what it needs an see how $$ works out as far as up grades to the bottom end.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,017 Posts
So having oil pressure drop off 300 miles after you do a cam swap sucks a big one.. Here I am again, but this time I have pulled the whole engine.. the only two things that kind of suck are the a/c compressor bolts on the bottom and the eng mount arms (should have pulled the loose while I had the engine lifted)
Initial look after pulling the cam tells me some shit is afu , not sure if it's from pump or not enough assembly lube or what.. all I know is it was fine for 300 miles. It's the risk we take.. I'll get the rest of it torn down an start working with the local LS machine shop on what it needs an see how $$ works out as far as up grades to the bottom end.

I'm waiving at you from the Coast. Hope 2.0 goes a little easier!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

Damn I hate to hear this.

Your garage looks lot like mine at the moment.

Good luck on your adventure.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hoping it's not major!

Reactions: Florida-Vee

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reactions: NOLAG05 and tinman

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Hope you find the cause and that it isn't too bad.

I'm planning to install my 2.5 cam and a few other goodies on the 12th and would like to know if there's something to keep an eye out for.

Best of luck to ya!

·
Premium Member
15,017 Posts
Bummer FV, but I do like your attitude. If it were me, I'd probably want to walk out in the back yard and suck start my .45
So your neighbor is a large black man who's prison name was "fo-five?"

I'd probably just drink a few beers personally - but hey, if that's your thing!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So your neighbor is a large black man who's prison name was "fo-five?"

I'd probably just drink a few beers personally - but hey, if that's your thing!

Bhahaha.. that shits funny!! Yeah no reason to go postal.. figure I'll make it bullet proof now (bottom end)..

Reactions: NOLAG05

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Wishing you luck in sorting it out. Wonder if there's a good way to run it in first?

Regardless - at least you have the skills to do the work and find the issue. Seems you got the motor out fairly quick. Hope the cause of the problem is apparent so you can re-install with confidence.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope you find the cause and that it isn't too bad.

I'm planning to install my 2.5 cam and a few other goodies on the 12th and would like to know if there's something to keep an eye out for.

Best of luck to ya!
Id say make sure you have good assembly lube, and take your time when sliding the cam in. I've heard it is very easy to dork a cam bearing on these cars,,, guess I did.., or my assembly lube did nothing, because the cam bearings dont look good at all.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wishing you luck in sorting it out. Wonder if there's a good way to run it in first?

Regardless - at least you have the skills to do the work and find the issue. Seems you got the motor out fairly quick. Hope the cause of the problem is apparent so you can re-install with confidence.
I was confident the last time.. and see where it got me? LOL Yeah the motor came out pretty quick even though I had plenty of armchair QB's around me telling i need to do it this way or that way.. my inner voice says.. "once you START turning wrenches I may hear what you have to offer" My only problem is I'm now looking at stoker kits, and wonder if the 416 kit requires a lot of extra machine work or it's a plug and play (so to speak) I'm certain that I'm going to be installing the Precision 10355 oil pump this go around. I havent pulled the pump apart (the new stock 10355) yet and dont think anything is wrong with it.. but investing in new parts regardless of what I do, I want to be sure it will not suffer from an oiling issue. I may just do what t.j.t has done and swap rods and pistons and get out with a little $$ left over.
I may look and see what my stock rods and pistons will fetch if they are all still std/std..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Man this sucks to hear. I know when something isn’t right with my car I feel sick until it’s fixed. Hopefully you get it figured out quickly and get back on the road. Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
What did you use for assembly lube? I've read that some use some special lube and some use plain motor oil.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
I've always used brad penn assembly lube, never had a problem yet. I've never used motor oil to install one, and have never heard of anyone in the business using it. I would definitely use a quality assembly lube when installing cam and valvetrain components.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Decided even though it's Easter I have to keep disassembling my short block. Like I said I'm all there is to blame.. here's the o-ring.. it's pinched an must of starved the cam journals enough to throw metal all in the filter.. rods coming out next..

Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Damn, that's hard to believe a simple thing as that can cause so much damage. Thanks for sharing this so we all learn from it.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts