Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Flu season is pretty much over but going forward get your Flu shots. The Flu is fucking killing people.

43 days ago my mother-in-law got diagnosed with the Flu. A few days later she passed out at home and my sister-in-law rushed her to the emergency room. There she was told her Flu had turned into Pneumonia and she was admitted to ICU. While in ICU she developed ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome). She was given a tracheotomy and put on a ventilator. To make a long story short, on Tuesday the doctors determined she had zero percent chance of recovery and would be on a ventilator the rest of her life. Tuesday night my wife and her two siblings made the decision to shut off her ventilator (basically life support) and she passed away about an hour later. She was only 60. The shitty thing about all of this was, she was awake and aware most of the time. She had to knowingly make the decision to die. Nothing scares me more than dying. I cant imagine the will power it took to accept defeat and decide it was time to end it all.

I haven't gotten a Flu shot in 20+ years and neither has my wife. We don't give them to our kids. I'm not one of those don't vaccinate your kids people as I believe vaccinations work. I just remember getting sick after a Flu shot and ive know several people that have gotten sick despite getting a shot.

Point is multiple doctors said this probably could have been avoided had she gotten a Flu shot or taken Tamiflu when it was offered to her when she first got to the hospital. She declined it, why who knows!?

Point is people if you don't get Flu shots please start getting them. The Flu used to only kill small children and old people. Now it doesn't discriminate. I'm reading articles about perfectly healthy people in their 20s-30s dying from the Flu

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Sorry to hear what your family is going through dude.

Im a skeptic, so of course I'm wondering if tests can and did conclude that the flu strain she contracted was the same one as the vaccine this year? I know it's a guessing game to a certain extent as to what they send out for vaccines.

·
Premium Member
15,012 Posts
Thanks for sharing - that must have been hell for your family.

I am a dumbass who knows better but didn't get a flu shot this year... and I got the flu 3 days before vacation. Cost me several thousands in lost wages but thankfully I hit up a walk in clinic as soon as I felt the chills and let me say...

I am now a believer in Tamiflu!

I won't be missing my flu shot anymore... cheap insurance even if you still get sick down the road.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts
Thanks.

We get them every year. Wife is super insistent on it. We all had the flu this year (actually, not sure I did) but it was mild, presumably because of the shot.

FWIW, I'm not afraid of dying, I don't want to keep going when I am not looking forward to something in the future. To me, it's not how long you live, it's what you do with your time.

Very sorry for your loss. My mom was on a ventilator for weeks, complications from COPD, which was from smoking. She lied to me for years saying she had quit. Sad, but, it was her call. She made the decision to smoke for 60 years. It's a miserable way to die.

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
Sorry for reading about the loss your family had to endure, but thank you for posting it in hopes that it'll sway those that don't take the shot every year.

I had to get the flu shot every year that my wife was in chemo/radiation because of her obviously compromised (non-existent) immune system. I guess it helped as I was flu free those years, but I generally don't even get a common cold, so is the the efficacy there? Who knows... The point is that it is, as others have said, it's a no-brainer cheap insurance needle.

Again, my condolences.

·
Premium Member
12,755 Posts
sorry about your MIL

I just got a cold for the first time in 3 years, no chills just a throat thing. Hope im not going to die ( not joking - now im wondering! )

·
Premium Member
15,012 Posts
sorry about your MIL

I just got a cold for the first time in 3 years, no chills just a throat thing. Hope im not going to die ( not joking - now im wondering! )
Any acute fever or chills is highly suspect. You can get a flu test in any minute clinic type place for around $10 - its ~60% accurate. With the right symptoms you can get Tamiflu either way.

I was in and out of the clinic for $20 and about 15 minutes. I got the chills walking out of work, had a 102* temp within 30 minutes and was at the clinic an hour later. My wife and I both tested positive for the flu. It significantly shortened my symptoms to about 24 hours of nasty, and a week of "meh."

Getting the flu shot won't necessarily keep you from getting the flu (multiple strains, etc) but in most cases it will also significantly reduce the duration and severity of symptoms. Tamiflu works best if started within 48 hours or so and is very realistic to get with all of these walk-in clinics, as long as you're honest about your symptoms and don't keep putting it off (and infecting others).

It literally cost me $3k to stay home but it was the right thing to do.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Condolences brother. No flu for me this year. No shot either. Seasonal allergies getting worse than ever though. Had me battling a 4 week sinus infection until starting up on Flonase kicked it for good. Time to start getting shots for those I think.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Thanks for sharing - that must have been hell for your family.

I am a dumbass who knows better but didn't get a flu shot this year... and I got the flu 3 days before vacation. Cost me several thousands in lost wages but thankfully I hit up a walk in clinic as soon as I felt the chills and let me say...

I am now a believer in Tamiflu!

I won't be missing my flu shot anymore... cheap insurance even if you still get sick down the road.

be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with Tamiflu, its some pretty bad shit in my opinion and ill never willingly take it.

·
Premium Member
15,012 Posts
be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with Tamiflu, its some pretty bad shit in my opinion and ill never willingly take it.
How so?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Are you able to elaborate more? I'm a pharmacist and curious what articles or material has caused you to form this opinion. I'm not trying to start an argument or derail OP but all information I have and have read shows it to be relatively safe. It's been used for up to six weeks at a time for certain patient populations and I've had to treat some individuals 3 times this year. A question that usually comes up is that ok.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
How so?

Some people are unaffected by it but it has some really strange side effects and mental effects. There are tons of stories online about suicide, hallucinations, and a host of other ones.

My younger brother had to take it one time and essentially in about 2 days of taking it he was have night terrors and almost manic. Same thing for my mom.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Are you able to elaborate more? I'm a pharmacist and curious what articles or material has caused you to form this opinion. I'm not trying to start an argument or derail OP but all information I have and have read shows it to be relatively safe. It's been used for up to six weeks at a time for certain patient populations and I've had to treat some individuals 3 times this year. A question that usually comes up is that ok.
See my response above

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Some people are unaffected by it but it has some really strange side effects and mental effects. There are tons of stories online about suicide, hallucinations, and a host of other ones.

My younger brother had to take it one time and essentially in about 2 days of taking it he was have night terrors and almost manic. Same thing for my mom.
I see there are similar stories about these kinds of side effects but it sounds like they are EXTREMELY rare vs the huge number of people who take it and have no side effects.
ALSO it could be unrelated to the Tamiflu and just influenza encephalitis or simply hallucinations from having a fever...

I know I personally have had some crazy hallucinations when I was sick as a kid where I thought 10k years had passed while I slept and I woke up and ran around screaming...and I didn't take Tamiflu lol. Just semi normal (crazy) fever dreams.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow. I can't even imagine having to go through that. My condolences to you and your family.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
My condolences to you and your family ��. This year I chose not to get the flu shot for myself, but made sure the kids got theirs. I guess I need to re-think my decision.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Very sorry for your loss.
This year I got the Flu shot for the first time and glad I did. Helps but some people have passed even with the shot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts