Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2012 CTS V with 67,000 miles . Had it delivered from out of state and arrived with a full tank of gas, well I parked it in my garage and I have this raw gas odor from the car. I was wondering if anyone may have an idea what it may be?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just bought a 2012 CTS V with 67,000 miles . Had it delivered from out of state and arrived with a full tank of gas, well I parked it in my garage and I have this raw gas odor from the car. I was wondering if anyone may have an idea what it may be?
Does it have any mods? Exhaust work? Notice any new stains on garage floor where car was parked?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Could be a leaky fuel hat connection. Search for Fuel Hat Leak Repair, there's a few that have documented the process.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Leaky fuel pump hat, get ready to have some fun. Look under the passenger rear and see if the side of the tank is wet. You can do it yourself for about $100, but it's a mid-level repair skill wise. There is a fantastic write up to follow though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
Yes. Fuel hat repair.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I wouldn't park it in the garage........

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looked under the car and that is exactly what my tank looks like-wet with gas

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
BINGO! You have the Fuel Hat Leak issue!
While it's aggravating that any car has a 'known issue' of any kind, it IS helpful that its well documented rather than your having some never-seen problem. For this, the info and parts are available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While it's aggravating that any car has a 'known issue' of any kind, it IS helpful that its well documented rather than your having some never-seen problem. For this, the info and parts are available.
its going to the dealer Monday, can only imagine what that’s gonna cost

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The dealer will quote you replacing the fuel pump (over $1,000 just the part) and the labor will involve dropping the rear cradle just to drop the tank. Probably a $2500 job you can do yourself for $100 and some patience.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yes. Fuel hat repair.
I take it you got yours all sorted out? Mine is still dry and smelling right. Thank God for Silver Surfer, owe that man a beer.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
I take it you got yours all sorted out? Mine is still dry and smelling right. Thank God for Silver Surfer, owe that man a beer.

I have not yet done mine. I am amassing quite a pile of boxes and a long list of work to do, once I get back home!!

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
its going to the dealer Monday, can only imagine what that’s gonna cost
This is one of those jobs that has a DIY work-around method that lets a guy do this task for $100 in parts and basically a Saturday. The method involves cutting a hole in the car's floor for access, not a task for the faint of heart, or for one lacking certain tools.
The dealer wll not do the job that way, they will remove the fuel tank AND the rear suspension cradle to do so. They will not repair the leaking fitting in the hat; rather they will sell you a compete fuel pump carrier module. It will be pretty painful, I'm sure.

It's possible though that you might find an independent shop that will save you a chunk of money.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
"a Saturday"... You're funny!!!

It's certainly possible, but not my experience. Mostly my own doing TBH.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
@RCJ if it was me, I'd have the dealer drop it but have them put in @adam112 's hat.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Can you cut the section from under the rear seat with the tank in place? Albeit risky!
Yes, but with the proper tools and methods in the other post linked above.

Reactions: jcs003
1 - 20 of 42 Posts