Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I will start by saying I have been a part of the forum now for a few months. I lurk here learning, browsing and reading relevant posts and material for things related to my new to me V.

Some history:
Bought the car in December 2017. With winter here in NJ, it has only been driven a few times and the latest drive, (yesterday), yielded not such great results. I am currently having Pat G remote tune the car as it seemed "off". While driving and data logging the car "bogged" and acted funny. I got home and parked it. Immediately smelled gas. I crawled underneath and see the bottom of the tank is wet. I believe that the common 90 degree basket fitting is bad.

What I did:
Immediately ordered the MericanMotorsports hatch panel and 2 AEM pumps. I also ordered some new aluminum AN fittings to address any future issues with that silly plastic fitting.

My Question:
With me replacing the plastic fitting in the basket and replacing the pumps with AEM pumps, is it necessary to also add the DSX Aux Pump Kit from Weapon X?

My Current Mod List:
Car was built by AMP in Texas by the former owner.
4.5" intake
102 mm TB
Fully ported blower and snout
BTR Cam
660 lift valve springs
Ti, retainers, valve seals, Chromoly pushrods
Innovator West lower balancer with 9.1 pulley
2.5 blower pulley and belt
Idler relocation bracket
ARH 2" header with off road X pipe
FIC 1000cc injectors
PCV Catch Can
Heat Exchanger
High Capacity Intercooler Tank
Varimax Intercooler Pump upgrade
3 bolt cam gear
ARP cam bolts
Plugs
etc etc

Further Info:
When I got the car I had a shop fairly local to me shake it down. Their dyno showed 703rwhp, (dyno sheet that came with the car from AMP showed 660rwhp). They also showed some issues with knock sensor. I replaced both upstream 02 sensors per the advice of Pat G. Being that the shop that dyno'd the car and the tuner was unable to address this, (for whatever reason), that is why I reached out to Pat G.

This is where it brings me:
In the interest of doing this once and once only, I will do the hatch panel and 2 AEM pumps. With the current list of mods, is the DSX Aux Kit necessary? Car is run on 93 octane.

I am posting this as I spent last evening and early this morning trying to figure out what to do and why the fuel system was not addressed when the car was built. This is in no way a negative spin on any shop or person that was involved with the car, (pre me buying or post me buying), but rather a post to gather information, direction and advice regarding my current situation.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

**Side note: I feel it may be worth noting that yes, I have been on this forum for a few months and do not post/comment a lot due to most of the answers to my questions are easily answered by searching but I felt this issue stated above warranted a post. So please do not slaughter me for not posting prior to this. Ha!!!**

Thank you all!!!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I'm a newbie, 1 of the ole G's probably get you pointed in the right direction.
Sounds like you got a nicely modded V.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Do you have data to indicate fuel pressure contributed to the funny behavior? Was the car fully warmed up when it was acting funny? Lots of things in the tune that can cause bogging and lean transient throttle symptoms that otherwise would not show up on a dyno wot. If you aren't going flex, the drop ins should support your mods I'd think. Now if you just want to drop a grand on an aux kit, its not going to cause any harm.

When your first post is this thorough and thought out, I don't see you catching crap :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have data to indicate fuel pressure contributed to the funny behavior? Was the car fully warmed up when it was acting funny? Lots of things in the tune that can cause bogging and lean transient throttle symptoms that otherwise would not show up on a dyno wot. If you aren't going flex, the drop ins should support your mods I'd think. Now if you just want to drop a grand on an aux kit, its not going to cause any harm.

When your first post is this thorough and thought out, I don't see you catching crap :)
Appreciate the info, thank you! Prior to me swapping out the 02 sensors the former shop and tuner, (prior to Pat G), suggested that bank 2 was running lean. Honestly, I am not a fuel guy by any means so I can not say if there may be other issues.

By reading here I know that the weak link for leaks is that fitting. So, my thought was, replace and upgrade once. For another grand to do the Aux kit makes sense. Let's face it, these cars or any car for that matter costs money and I am prepared to spend what is needed to make sure the car is right.

I'll await some other comments, hopefully some other members will chime in with advice but right now I think I may just add the Aux kit with the 2 new AEM pumps.

*Appreciate the words regarding 1st post*

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
On 93 only you will not need the aux kit. Several members here on full Boltons on 93 only make 700-725 on stock pumps (I was one) so the AEM really isn't necessarily required...especially if you're considering an AUX kit.

You also won't need access to the basket to install at a later time since the AUX taps into the bottom of the tank.

The Aux kit will support north of 800whp on E85 per Dave himself.

The transient issue (we'll call it that for now) could be anything without a log or some basic troubleshooting. I'd fix your apparent fuel issue and start down the rabbit hole.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 93 only you will not need the aux kit. Several members here on full Boltons on 93 only make 700-725 on stock pumps (I was one) so the AEM really isn't necessarily required...especially if you're considering an AUX kit.

You also won't need access to the basket to install at a later time since the AUX taps into the bottom of the tank.

The Aux kit will support north of 800whp on E85 per Dave himself.

The transient issue (we'll call it that for now) could be anything without a log or some basic troubleshooting. I'd fix your apparent fuel issue and start down the rabbit hole.

I have watched several times the data logging from this weekend and kept an eye on all the fuel parameters, (pressure, short fuel trim, long fuel trim, fuel system status, fuel level input etc) and truthfully I am not sure what I am looking at but things seem to be not of out the normal. I think!!!!

Next step is wait for the new pumps and hatch panel and get to the basket to diagnose the leak.

Another thought/question: any other common villians with fuel leaks I should be aware of to make the bottom of the tank, passenger side wet? If it is not the 90 degree fitting are there any other common failures that would contribute to a leak?

I know it may be a premature question without cutting the panel first but if it is not the 90 degree fitting what are other common failures?

Thanks again for the direction.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Only other common failure is the large oring that seals the fuel pump module. It is a common one though from what I gather. They are inexpensive and amazon carries them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only other common failure is the large oring that seals the fuel pump module. It is a common one though from what I gather. They are inexpensive and amazon carries them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you....I will grab one. Mind as well replace what I can while doing this project.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
A few things here.

1. Running 93 stock pumps should cover you. What you need to be looking at is your rail pressure and commanded pressure at WOT up to red line/shift. Make sure it's not dropping too far. The AEMs won't hurt since your in there, but if you plan on running E don't want your time with them the AUX kit is what you want.

2 The elbow is the most common failure. But to replace it with aluminum AN fittings takes some work on the basket and the fuel lines. You will have to drill out the old fittings and some other small things just be ready for that.

3. Make sure the tank is on E when you crack the basket ring or you will have a major mess.

Reactions: MYV
1 - 10 of 10 Posts