Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have put together a how-to guide on replacing the plastic 90 deg fitting on the top of the fuel pump hat with a -6AN right angle bulkhead fitting. PDF is attached.

This is not a new topic and has been covered many times. I just picked up a used 2009 V and it was a victim of this under-engineered part as well. There seems to still be a lot of questions going around about what is leaking, where to cut, what parts to get, etc. The posts on this forum were instrumental in my repair, so I thought I would give back with a complete guide on the process. A big thank you to CUIN9SEC and CTIMSV for the info they posted.

One thing I had to figure out The Hard Way was that the straight female adapter didn't allow the quick-disconnect fitting to be placed anywhere useful for connecting the fuel line without kinking and hitting the body. I tried a 90 deg fitting with the same results, and finally ended up with the 180 deg fitting noted in the document.

If you have any feedback on this document let me know and I will keep it updated.

2019.10.22 - Original
2019.10.26 - Corrected typo

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll agree, that is one hell of a write-up. One thought came to mind...how many holes have you drilled-fucked in your life? :eek:

Keep up the great work sir

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Sexy write up. Please just monitor your sealant with time. I let that stuff dry for two days on clean prepped metal and flex ate it right off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sexy write up. Please just monitor your sealant with time. I let that stuff dry for two days on clean prepped metal and flex ate it right off.
Yeah, good call. I searched for the most fuel safe sealant there is, but even this had people saying it didn't work. It's just another reason to cut the hole for easy access, instead of having to drop the suspension again each time.

One thought came to mind...how many holes have you drilled-fucked in your life?
More than I care to remember...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Shit I didn't put any sealant on mine. Just two washers and some thread sealant on the top nut of the elbow. No leaks on mine in about a year. And I have pulled the bitch out twice since then.

OP might want to add that it is also possible to remove the quick connect and replace it with a 3/8s to 6AN barb as a cheaper way (and I think cleaner way) with less points of failure, but grate write up.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Great job documenting the parts and process!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP might want to add that it is also possible to remove the quick connect and replace it with a 3/8s to 6AN barb as a cheaper way (and I think cleaner way) with less points of failure, but grate write up.
I 100% agree that's a much cleaner solution; obviously it eliminates all kinds of parts and potential failure points. I considered doing that but I was worried that I would cut the OEM fuel line and then struggle to get a barb fitting into the tough plastic line. It's probably not as bad as I fear, but without going through the process I'm hesitant to suggest it.

Outstanding write up. Aerospace quality for sure. 39+ years working at a major Aero firm.
Wow, thanks!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Outstanding write up. Aerospace quality for sure. 39+ years working at a major Aero firm.
I work in Aerospace now and I'm not sure that's a compliment...lmao. Ill assume its like most things...its gotten way dumber/worse in the last 25 years.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think I'd rather just fly you out here and have you do mine, but yeah, you're crazy for doing a document that professional and not getting paid for it haha.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I think I'd rather just fly you out here and have you do mine, but yeah, you're crazy for doing a document that professional and not getting paid for it haha.
Or for taking up a profession writing the stuff...but hey.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, for better or worse, my main job isn't writing documents, it's writing code. Documents for customers are necessary from time to time. I try to write them well enough that I never have to hear from the customers about anything. :D

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Well, for better or worse, my main job isn't writing documents, it's writing code. Documents for customers are necessary from time to time. I try to write them well enough that I never have to hear from the customers about anything. :D
Thanks for being gracious. I needed to poke fun. Been a damn day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What a great write up!

A couple of questions.........
(1) Is this a sedan or coupe?
(2) Did you remove the front seat for better access?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts