Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Frustrating night at the track

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Rekkr 
#1 ·
Weather was good so decided to take the car back to the track. Mods are in sig. Not sure what to do next so post up your opinions/thoughts/advice and shit talking lol

I’ll say this, the damn car is consistent 😑
Runs 11.1 @127 like clockwork. I cannot get this setup to cut better than a 1.6 60ft on the current tire setup which is a 275 MT street SS. Cuts almost the exact same 60ft, time and mph on a 305 MT SS.
IAT’s stay under control so I don’t think it’s pulling any timing.
so I’m at a crossroads of trying to figure out what to do next to break into the 10’s.
Do a lower pulley and turn the meth back on to keep IAT under control?
Switch to a ET R or something else and hope the 60ft improves?
Replace the probably worn out suspension and hope it plants better?
Put a 50 shot on it?

I don’t feel like the car is spinning bad. Am I just not making enough power which is resulting in trash 60ft’s? I know az doesn’t have the best DA for racing. Open to all thoughts you guys throw out!

See less See more
#4 ·
Damn. They made that big of a difference!? How were you launching the car?

#3 ·
Sounds exactly like my issue year before last, lazy 60' with the stock torque converter. Decided to install a 2600 stall, billet, triple disc lock-up converter last winter and my 60' improved by almost 2/10ths last year.

#6 ·
I am pretty sure the DA is playing a good part in it. I figured I could at least crack a 10.99 lol

Reactions: Rubber Duck
#7 ·
Torque converter will make a YUGE difference. Also relatively cheap, easy and safe.

#10 ·
I have a six speed. :D but torque converters have been a thing for the past 40+ years. My last was a Yank in a 383 stroker for a 1984 Corvette. Ha.

#12 ·
All good, just thought I would point it out in case Random took a nap.

With a PD, it’s not as pertinent, especially on the stock cam. It really is dependent on the setup.

I had a, I think, Yank, 3600 on my TBSS. I think I would have been better off with the 3200 as I was on the stock cam. So that vehicle weighed around 4800# if memory serves me, 3.06 first gear, 4.10 rear axle, and I forget but 28-30” tall tire.

V is 500# lighter, way more torque, smaller cam, a bit less static compression but dynamic compression is way higher on the hit (I’m close to 17 psi max).

If I had a cam with more than, say, 224 degrees intake duration (not going to get into all the various aspects/specs), then I would consider a bit higher stall speed depending on usage.

My TBSS definitely loss mpg with that converter, but much stronger on the hit.

My V would probably be a bigger hit but I’m already traction limited as I don’t drive around on DR’s and it’s not primarily a race car.

Anyway, this is more for general consumption than for anyone in particular. I just personally believe that unless you are suffering on torque below 2K rpm, perhaps a converter isn’t the next best mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
[QUOTE="Karch, post: 2592014, member:
With a PD, it’s not as pertinent, especially on the stock cam. It really is dependent on the setup.

I had a, I think, Yank, 3600 on my TBSS. I think I would have been better off with the 3200 as I was on the stock cam. So that vehicle weighed around 4800# if memory serves me, 3.06 first gear, 4.10 rear axle, and I forget but 28-30” tall tire.

V is 500# lighter, way more torque, smaller cam, a bit less static compression but dynamic compression is way higher on the hit (I’m close to 17 psi max).

My TBSS definitely loss mpg with that converter, but much stronger on the hit.

My V would probably be a bigger hit but I’m already traction limited as I don’t drive around on DR’s and it’s not primarily a race car.
[/QUOTE]

I had a Yank 3600 in my stock internal TBSS. However, it was AWD so 3600 put me right in peak torque range with no wheel spin. Now that I have the V I went down to a 3200 on the last TBSS.rebuild.

The basic converter Yank sells for the V has a 3000 stall speed. I wouldn't go that high in the V depending on the mods. I'd try to be near where the torque curve starts to rise and not too far into it. Study your dyno sheet after your mods are complete to help determine stall speed. My max torque on E85 is at 3800 rpm. It's only a smidge lower (still over 650) at 3500 rpm. Any numbers lower are unusable due to curve smoothing as measurement started at 3100 rpm. Personally, I wouldn't go over 24-2600 or so to keep it usable for daily driving.

#13 ·
While I do plan on doing a TC down the road, it will be when I do the built motor with a cam etc as that will effect which TC I choose.

Reactions: mememe123
#15 · (Edited)
My Precision Industries Vigilante billet lock-up stalls at 2600 (but my launch RPM is less than that). Street manners are no different than stock, reduced ET by almost 2/10ths and... picking up the front wheels on the launch... priceless! :oops::love:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive side marker light

#17 · (Edited)
Big-Boo to you for stripping a 'V' down to go fast.. ;) ;)

Don't take weight out. . .
Just keep putting money in it..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheers,
Bruce

#18 ·
Lol I will not be stripping anything out. In my younger years I was fine with driving around a caged and gutted street car. I won’t do that to the V.

@rubberduck while I got ya, what’s your thoughts on the ly6 block?

Reactions: Rubber Duck
#21 ·
I don't really have any strong opinions regarding going that route.

It really depends on how much HP you're looking for.

If the block is strong enough, then great!
If the heads can flow enough, then great!

If not, then go the aftermarket route. . . . .

That would be. . .
A block that can handle the HP.
A block which can be safely bored enough to handle the required valve size.

I am sure you have read about @07GTS build on this forum.

Cheers

#19 ·
Lose your Covid weight. That should be good for a few hundredths. I should get about .04 off my 1/4 time.

• Haha
Reactions: SaskV
#20 ·
Lol I didn’t get fat over Covid like a lot of people. So that’s also not an option

#22 ·
I’ll have to find his build thread and check it out

#23 ·
It is, no surprise. ;);)
a very nice build and you should speak to him about it.

I don't think he has a build thread on it, I think he
posted it within someone else's thread.

I believe it was in the piston gas port thread.

@07GTS usually posts here everyday,
so I am sure he will respond. . .

Good Luck..(y)

Reactions: 07GTS
#24 ·
Ah yes I believe I saw that motor he posted in the gas port piston thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.