Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if on the v2’s the front stabilizer bar(I’m assuming it’s the sway bar, but that’s what the dealer called it) is the same size for the wagon and sedan? Was told it has excessive play in it so figured I might as well replace it. Thanks!

· Registered
2,917 Posts
Was told it has excessive play in it so figured I might as well replace it.
It can't need replacing. There's nothing to wear out. It's just bent steel and there are no metal-to-metal contact points. What you need is replacement bushings and/or end links, which are the only components that can wear (in any significant way), and not a new bar which will be a much more expensive option.

· Registered
1,912 Posts
Change the end links first. Changing the sway bar bushings are a real bitch.

Here they are and you will need 2 of them as they are sold seperately.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It can't need replacing. There's nothing to wear out. It's just bent steel and there are no metal-to-metal contact points. What you need is replacement bushings and/or end links, which are the only components that can wear (in any significant way), and not a new bar which will be a much more expensive option.
Ahh damn, alright thanks. I’ll just cancel the order for that. Should I just purchase the bushings and end links to be safe ?

Change the end links first. Changing the sway bar bushings are a real bitch.

Here they are and you will need 2 of them as they are sold seperately.

Thanks man I appreciate it! The car drives fine, but the suspension creaks when turning, dealer said my front struts were collapsed and “excessive play on the stabilizer bar” and my grand total was 4,000. Glad I posted on her and you guys saved me some money haha.

· Registered
2,917 Posts
The bushings are not a job for the feint of heart. The front bar passes between the frame and front cradle assembly. To get the bushings out (or the bar, for that matter), you need to jack the car up, unbolt the cradle assembly (supported with a transmission jack) and then lower the whole assembly an inch or two.

Start with the end links. The bushings are big rubber blocks that the bar passes through, they might degrade and crumble given enough time, but otherwise they shouldn't wear out. They can't have been on the car long enough to have started to degrade. So the odds that they're the problem would seem to be low. Save yourself a lot of time and aggravation doing the bushings if it turns out you only need links.

Do you have any details of the "excessive play" diagnosis? Where was the play seen? I suppose it's possible there is really an issue and it just isn't being described very well. But I'd be suspicious of this service department. The diagnosis seems a lot like being told you need new muffler bearings. Meaning, it's bullshit, they're just looking to make some extra money. Especially since I know for a fact the GM service book says the front bar is a 1 hour job and there is no way in hell it can be done that fast. Especially since the book doesn't actually include any details to explain how to do it. If they actually know what's involved, they know they can't make any money doing it. Which is why it smells like a load of crap to me. If it was really a problem, they wouldn't want to do it because it'll take them longer to do than they can charge for the work.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bushings are not a job for the feint of heart. The front bar passes between the frame and front cradle assembly. To get the bushings out (or the bar, for that matter), you need to jack the car up, unbolt the cradle assembly (supported with a transmission jack) and then lower the whole assembly an inch or two.

Start with the end links. The bushings are big rubber blocks that the bar passes through, they might degrade and crumble given enough time, but otherwise they shouldn't wear out. They can't have been on the car long enough to have started to degrade. So the odds that they're the problem would seem to be low. Save yourself a lot of time and aggravation doing the bushings if it turns out you only need links.

Do you have any details of the "excessive play" diagnosis? Where was the play seen? I suppose it's possible there is really an issue and it just isn't being described very well. But I'd be suspicious of this service department. The diagnosis seems a lot like being told you need new muffler bearings. Meaning, it's bullshit, they're just looking to make some extra money. Especially since I know for a fact the GM service book says the front bar is a 1 hour job and there is no way in hell it can be done that fast. Especially since the book doesn't actually include any details to explain how to do it. If they actually know what's involved, they know they can't make any money doing it. Which is why it smells like a load of crap to me. If it was really a problem, they wouldn't want to do it because it'll take them longer to do than they can charge for the work.
Thanks for the knowledge man for real. I’m not too sure about suspension it always confusing me, too many parts lol. Yeah after you explain it that sounds like a very vague answer they gave me. And no details or anything just that it has excessive play. And like I said the car drives fine maybe not as tight as when I first bought it, but I feel like I would definitely feel “excessive play”. the car only has 26,000 miles on it so I can’t see it being anything too big. I figured it was just the struts but decided to ask them to look at the creaking suspension while it was in there getting the really small leak coming from the sunroof that I noticed( that’s a whole other story lol ) and that’s what they told me the issue was.

· Registered
2012 CTS-V M6 Sedan
54 Posts
Yeah like the others have said, the physical sway bar itself is not a typical wear item. The play can only come from either bad end links or bad sway bar bushings. End links are definitely the lowest hanging fruit so go with those first. And since the dealership is the one that gave you this poorly worded info I would check for yourself if what they said is even true in the first place.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah like the others have said, the physical sway bar itself is not a typical wear item. The play can only come from either bad end links or bad sway bar bushings. End links are definitely the lowest hanging fruit so go with those first. And since the dealership is the one that gave you this poorly worded info I would check for yourself if what they said is even true in the first place.
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Is the bushings on the sway bar wearing down a common issue ?

· Registered
2,917 Posts
No. Quite the opposite in fact. In all the cars I've owned over the last few decades, and with all the 100Ks of miles I have driven (abused) those cars, I have never had to replace a sway bar bushing. I sold my 02Z06 with 139K miles on it and its bushings were still just fine. Which is why the needle in my meter is definitely pointed towards the "BS" end of the scale on your supposed problem...

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No. Quite the opposite in fact. In all the cars I've owned over the last few decades, and with all the 100Ks of miles I have driven (abused) those cars, I have never had to replace a sway bar bushing. I sold my 02Z06 with 139K miles on it and its bushings were still just fine. Which is why the needle in my meter is definitely pointed towards the "BS" end of the scale on your supposed problem...
Yeah and the majority of v owners definitely don’t baby their cars, that being said sway bar bushings are not an issue I’ve even seen on this forum. it sounds like they wanted to get some money out of me lol. I called them and asked to specify exactly where and why There’s play in it and waiting to hear back so I guess we’ll see what they decide to tell me. On a side note, they told me my sun roof was leaking cause the drains were clogged and couldn’t drain quick enough and needed to be replaced I know I’ve read about that before on here, but what’s the best way to go about that?

· Premium Member
4,451 Posts
There's threads here on how to clean out those drains, but essentially you can get som grass trimmer line and push it down the pipe to loosen the blockage. The forward drains are in the forward corners and dump into the wheel well area.

Be careful and don't apply too much pressure all at once or you can dislodge the drain.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's threads here on how to clean out those drains, but essentially you can get som grass trimmer line and push it down the pipe to loosen the blockage. The forward drains are in the forward corners and dump into the wheel well area.

Be careful and don't apply too much pressure all at once or you can dislodge the drain.
Thanks for the info. Definitely doesn’t sound fun to do lol. I’m assuming you have to drop the whole headliner and all that stuff. Needs to be done but considering it barely rains in Vegas I got some time to procrastinate 😎

· Premium Member
4,451 Posts
No need to access from the inside. Just open the sunroof completely and find the drains near the corners. 😄

You're lucky you don't have much rain or else the blocked drains would have resulted in a stained headliner, which would then require a full replacement that is not an easy task.

· Administrator
22,787 Posts
No need to access from the inside. Just open the sunroof completely and find the drains near the corners.

You're lucky you don't have much rain or else the blocked drains would have resulted in a stained headliner, which would then require a full replacement that is not an easy task.
Ahh, I sense an opportunity to install a black headliner.

I saw a V with one about 10 years ago and it really made a nice difference in the interior, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
4,451 Posts

I saw a V with one about 10 years ago and it really made a nice difference in the interior, IMO.

I've never seen one in black, but maybe just never noticed! 😄 It would hide the stains better though.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No need to access from the inside. Just open the sunroof completely and find the drains near the corners. 😄

Well that’s good news. I was worried I would have to tear it all apart. 🥲 a stained headliner is definitely not the look I’m going for hah.

That would look way better than the whole interior being black besides the light grey headliner lol.

· Registered
2,917 Posts
the drains were clogged and couldn’t drain quick enough and needed to be replaced
OK. My strong advice is that you delete this dealership phone number from your phone and never call them again. They want you to pay to replace a sway bar because of "excessive play" even though that is simply a nonsensical statement. And they also want you to pay for them to take the entire interior of the car apart so they can replace the drain tubes that could be cleared in 5 or 10 determined minutes by a single person with a length of heavy gauge fishing line.

They're trying to milk you. Don't be a cow. :)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK. My strong advice is that you delete this dealership phone number from your phone and never call them again. They want you to pay to replace a sway bar because of "excessive play" even though that is simply a nonsensical statement. And they also want you to pay for them to take the entire interior of the car apart so they can replace the drain tubes that could be cleared in 5 or 10 determined minutes by a single person with a length of heavy gauge fishing line.

They're trying to milk you. Don't be a cow. :)
Hahaha 😂 yeah I’m not going back there. I’m sure I can find a shop to do the stuff I don’t want to do, but I’m gonna just try to go the sunroof myself. Sounds easy enough. Still waiting for a reply to see what there clarification is about the excessive play lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts