Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Back from the dead....

Interested in how you made the sun roof delete? Looks great and that thing weighs 45ish lbs.
Slicktop FTMFW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Karch

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I'll post up an update soon. Car is currently being rewired with a new engine management system, solid state power distribution module and 8" color dash. Should be running hard starting next year.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
What an amazing build and journey! Keep the updates coming. I wish I had the balls and money to do what you did!
Not sure if you remember from a couple years ago you post said.... "#1 Rear diff fluid was full of metal so I ended up pulling the it and having to R&R both carrier bearings. no damage to the gears luckily. Also revised my diff cooler hose routing and added a better Setrab filter."
I didn't think our Diffs were serviceable. Seems like many have tried. Do you know what bearing were put in that fit? Also what filter did you go with? My Setrab filter is clogging and starting to collapse the small section of hose when running. New SET11--SKIF612 filter replacement going in this week...for now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Bearing/Seal numbers

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks Adam!. This goes back to figuring out if the noise I have are these bearings or the actual gear wear needing full replacement of the diff. I'm getting the common howling with light throttle. Loudest around 40 to 50 mph. Noticeable but not crazy loud yet. I hear it more than anyone else in the car and conscious about it.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Thanks Adam!. This goes back to figuring out if the noise I have are these bearings or the actual gear wear needing full replacement of the diff. I'm getting the common howling with light throttle. Loudest around 40 to 50 mph. Noticeable but not crazy loud yet. I hear it more than anyone else in the car and conscious about it.

Its like this...it bothers you enough to pull the diff or it doesnt...yes there is the point that you can save the gear set if wear is advanced and you catch it in time....Mine growls mostly when cold and when ambient is cooler...it was replaced by PO and Ive always been pretty gentle on it, its also had a diff cooler installed its whole life.

Having seen the wear on Randoms diff (giggity) Id say you can inspect for crazy carrier wear by wiggling the driveshaft and wathcing the axles move...if that checks out, then its a matter of how much effort youre willing to put in to satisfy your curiosity.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
FlyingV- WHat is the new engine management system?
Life racing F88R.
Benefits
Real time AFR monitoring and fuel control so it can run closed loop the entire time.
Individual cylinder fuel and spark mapping
Drive by wire
Traction control
Direct fire ignition instead of waste spark
Adaptive knock control
Huge data logging ability
Fuel level from dual senders

A lot of the trophy trucks guys have moved to Life Racing and proved the durability of the product.

Going to run there big 8" dash also

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Awesome! Not familiar with that unit, I run an Emtron. With this unit can you use traction control as a switch on the steering wheel that is adjustable? Emtron is a beats and is not cheap, welcome to the dark side now you will really be working toget the most out of the unit.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Time for an update since I've got lots of free time!

New carbon dash with 8" display and soft touch keypad.

I made some custom overlays using the V3 gauges as inspiration. Can't decide with one I like better.
White

Black

New ecu, and pdu with new wiring harness. All tezfel wire and Deutsche connectors

New differential pump and revised plumbing. Added an in-line fan from the NACA duct

Built a shroud for the radiator and switched to dual fans
20191210_092749.jpg

Added the wiper assembly back for any wet track days.
IMG_20200212_145457_01.jpg

Ran the car and Willow Spring before the world went nuts and the car preformed pretty well. Engine ran great with the new engine management. Fluids stayed cool. My driving sucked, from 1.5 years of sitting idle, but that was to be expected.
Had it all set for Auto Club on the 15th and then we got cancelled because of the 250 person group ban.
So now, I wait, again...

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Yup VIR closed up as well. We were supposed to be there Mon/Tues.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks great! If you are working to increase cooling capacity, take a hint from the Z28 camaro and hollow out the Caddy emblem - Flow Crown style! lol. Great build for sure! Sucks the world has gone nuts so you cant track it. No one is out driving really so interstates and on/off ramps might be a great alternative right now. :)

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
Time for a major update!

Please add my new Instagram account @Flyingvtt to watch the progression on the car.

Sent the weekend at Willow Springs and the car ran awesome both days. 9 Months since my last outing and I carved 3 seconds off my PB with a 1:31.5

Also I officially-unofficially broke the previous CTS-V record of 1:33.x set by my buddy Bob Michaels in his race car.

Made some improvements during the downtime.

Racebred Components made me a new splitter and I used their Quick Release brackets to mount it. Now I can remove the bumper and splitter in less then 5 minutes. Supports over 300 pounds in the center as well.

Remade all the oil cooler and radiator ducting so that it was independent of the splitter and decreased the grill opening size.

I lost 5th gear in the transmission at Buttonwillow in June, so I broke it down and discovered the 5/6 selector sheared in half. Replaced 3rd gear as well while I was there along with 3rd and 5th syncros.

The other issue I had been chasing was a clutch issue. I discovered that the Throw out bearing was shimmed incorrectly cause the inner sleeve to contact the clutch disc hub. So I bit the bullet and decided to go with a 7.25" Tilton triple, 153 tooth flywheel and super starter.

That led to a few... interference problems. Starter wouldn't clear the header, so I cut the 2 rear tubes, re-oriented them.

Also, on the CTS-V & ZL-1 the stupid input shaft doesn't have splines on the last 3/4" of it. So the 1st disc of triple clutch wasn't going to engage anything. Good news, The 2010+ SS Camaro had a fully splined input shaft that would work...... If my car was late 2010+, but it's a 2009 :( Tremec made a change to the bearing (taper roller to sleeve bearing) that goes inside the rear of the input around that time, which changed the transmission mainshaft as well. So i was looking at changing all that out to make it all work $$$$. After talking to Tick, D&D, and RPM I found George at Rockland Standard Gear. They actually built the Gen 1 World Challenge SCCA car transmissions. He made the exact bastard input shaft that I needed and saved my ass.

I have to say that the new clutch is awesome. The up shifts are so fast, and combined with Tilton's hydraulic bearing and flow valve, I didn't miss any downshifts.

Needless to say I'm really excited to move forward this year with the car.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

·
Premium Member
15,511 Posts
You're killing it man - great build.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
HI FV welcome back! Nithing beats the V8 sound. What are you weighing in at ?
You know I thought about you racing one of those.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts