Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
FlyingV - Very happy for you that all your hard work is paying off with the Car getting more and more sorted. Curious what the "Clunking" sound was in the first part of the Streets Of Willow Video might have been when you were going thru the turns after the front strait.

I would say you had a successful first season sorting out your new road race CTS V sedan.

Have a good off season and look forward to your progress reports, as you work thru the list of things you are planning for the Car for next season. :)

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
FlyingV - Very happy for you that all your hard work is paying off with the Car getting more and more sorted. Curious what the "Clunking" sound was in the first part of the Streets Of Willow Video might have been when you were going thru the turns after the front strait.

I would say you had a successful first season sorting out your new road race CTS V sedan.

Have a good off season and look forward to your progress reports, as you work thru the list of things you are planning for the Car for next season. :)
It sounds and feels like it's coming from the rear of the car. I'm thinking rear subframe bushings probably. I have a set of whiteline bushings on the shelf ready to go in. D3 made a video once from under the car and the amount of movement down there was unreal. Their solution was a brace that triangulated all the mounting points. It worked but hung way too low under the car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
This thing is beautiful! Lots of work into those front fenders, when is she going to meet Circuit of the Americas? :D

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Well it turns out it wasn't the subframe bushings but rather the passenger side axle took a dump. When the bearing went on the passenger side of the differential carrier is damaged the CV joint on that side. The Popping noise was the CV binding and then releasing. Kinda explains why in those instances the rear was sliding out on me. The best part is the axles are non-serviceable! Thanks GM..... Every other car in the world appears to have the joints available but not us. So new (slightly used) axle in hand today from Ebay.

Also took the time to dump the crappy lokar throttle pedal assembly and install the Tilton 600 series throttle pedal. Other than battling the brake bias adjuster rod location interfering with the bell crank assembly on the tilton, it went alright. Now the pedal ratio and height are spot on and maybe I'll see 100% throttle this weekend.

John, COTA is definitely on the bucket list. NASA is actually holding their national championship there in Sept. and I'd love to go. So hopefully things go well this spring and we make it happen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Be sure you let us know if you come. Would love to see the car in person and help out any way we can. I personally have 200+ laps in at the track, could give ya some track info.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I do not have my most recent event uploaded yet. Last one was Sept. 30th- Oct. 1st. I set a new PR of 2:43.72. The video I have linked here is from December 18th 2016. Kind of a crap day since it never went above 28 degrees, achieving tire temp was near impossible as well as keeping the car in temp. I always run and instruct with a host called Edge Addicts.
Home

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have not read the entire thread yet, but this right here is what these are all about .....just ask John Heinracy ......very well done 'Flyin'....goin' back to page two......ok, back to here now. Is there any engine setback in this bad boy?

·
Registered
88 Posts
flyingV - It's been about 6 mths. now since we last heard from you. How did the winter maintenance and Up-Date program go for you? Hope all went well. Any testing so far this spring? Did the Tilton pedal assembly work out as well as you hoped for. Did the brake bias adjuster rod location interfering with the bell crank assembly on the Tilton get resolved to your satisfaction?

All are waiting to hear the latest on your "Awesome" road racer CTS V you have built. :)

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Been working on the car for what seems like forever. After digesting all my data and experience from last year I decided to make some changes.

Items I'm addressing

1. Suspension: I managed to garbage a set of R7's in 2 days by cording them on the inside front tires. This lead me down the rabbit hole of the dynamics of the front suspension. I started working with a suspension guru by the name of Ron Sutton to address these issues. Turns out the camber gain when you lower the car goes through the roof and eats tires. So we're working on several modifications to address this and create more grip. We also discovered the car was woefully under sprung. We are also correcting the front and rear bump steer. I'm also working with Vorshlag to adapt a set of rear coil over adjuster so I can decouple the rear spring and put it back in the OEM location.

2. Brake ducts: I never really liked my spindle adapters that I made so I remade a better pair

3. Brakes: The factory calipers are OK, but I really would like to run a dedicated track caliper for its rigidity. I'm pretty sure the Wilwood Gen5 Camaro race stuff will work based on Stephenti swapping the ccm z28 over directly, so that is on the list to try out.

4. Safety: My harnesses expired so I switched to the Scroth profi II's. 2" belt for the HANS which will be nice. Their adjusters are so smooth. Added a Joe's rear mirror that I can actually see out of too.

Hopefully be at the track soon

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Hi FV. I too am grappling with a new suspension, PITA. hope it goes well for you and chomping up R7's sucks ass. Hopefully your suspension guy can figure it out as it is the toughest thing to get right on a road race car. Post some new pics of your whip.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
Some recent pics

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Fv

Car look really great! Nice job. Like the staggered look on the tires as well. The lines with the wing/splitter and roof flows really well, sometime people get it wrong and it makes the car look like shit. Yours is on the money. Are you doing any other classed beside TT1 ? How have your results been this year? IU'll post some new pics in my post of the new livery and results from last weekend. Us road race guys need to stick together with all these drag racing neanderthals. (you pussies know I am only kidding)

Really like color and the cleaness of the car, best thing about it, it never talks back.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'm tired of looking at George's V of the 4 months (no offense). I vote the third pic be posted for the next 6.

·
Registered
88 Posts
FlyingV - Thanks for the update. Your tenacity and devotion to sort the Car is very admirable. Dealing with changing the suspension dynamics on your car is a major project to take on and when completed and dialed in will be a major improvement.

Very interested in the progress as you test and adjust the suspension. We all will appreciate as much detailed reporting as you can, as you go forward this season.

Be safe and hope to hear from you soon. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
101 - 120 of 145 Posts