Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

First Track Day with the Blackwing

1102 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  kinghurl
Bought a new CT4 Blackwing automatic last year, have approx 10,000 miles on it and am taking it to Gingerman this weekend. I have upgraded the brake fluid to Wilwood 600.

I am a 20 year SCCA racer and know the track well so I am very comfortable with that part of the experience, not sure i fully understand the traction management system though. The manual is a bit vague. As i progress through the levels the "traction control off" and the "Stabilitrac off" lights come on. Is this just telling me that the full program is not engaged? My understanding is that there is a gradual diminishing of TC as I go up in settings. Would like to FULLY understand the car before I take it out.

Any advise or experience is appreciated.

Also, I am going out on the stock tires, the manual says they will need to be changed out after burning 2 tanks of fuel on the track. Any thoughts or experience with that?

Anything else I may need to know.

Thanks
Dave
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
What type and treadwear rating on the tires?

Can't help with thr settings.....
Both these vids are CT5 BW reviews, but the PTM stuff is still relevant.

Go to 13:46 (somewhere in the middle of them explaining PTM there are slides showing the characteristics of each mode)

Go to 8:20 (Cadillac engineer explaining PTM)
Reactions: 1
Thanks for the info, very helpful. These are 300 tw tires.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. These are 300 tw tires.
Michelins ZR 18
The Manual says to change tires after burning two tanks of gas. That's a first. I would inspect the front tires after the third session( Assuming sessions are 20 minutes) looking for wear on the inside or outside of the tires. That's your gage. Due to stock camber, the fronts will wear out first as it is set up from the factory w/o negative camber in the front or the rear. It is also set up for understeer so you have that going for you. I expect the outside edges to be shredded after the first day due to the stock settings and the weight of the car.

Good luck and post your results.
Had fun at the track day yesterday.

Car handled well for being such a heavy beast. I need to put more aggressive brake pads on to get it whoa'd down better. Worked my way up the Traction Control settings(or down depending on your perspective) Did not get any sessions in with TC full off. Got the back end loose a couple of times and TC caught it. Top speed was 119.

On the downside after the 3rd session it threw P0016-19 codes, camshaft and crankshaft position sensors are out of sync. Codes wouldn't clear so I skipped the last 2 sessions.

Tires held up, they wore evenly. Still got some life left in them, only burned 3/4 of a tank of gas.

Thanks for the links and advise, they were VERY helpful.

Had fun at the track day yesterday.

Car handled well for being such a heavy beast. I need to put more aggressive brake pads on to get it whoa'd down better. Worked my way up the Traction Control settings(or down depending on your perspective) Did not get any sessions in with TC full off. Got the back end loose a couple of times and TC caught it. Top speed was 119.

On the downside after the 3rd session it threw P0016-19 codes, camshaft and crankshaft position sensors are out of sync. Codes wouldn't clear so I skipped the last 2 sessions.

Tires held up, they wore evenly. Still got some life left in them, only burned 3/4 of a tank of gas.

Thanks for the links and advise, they were VERY helpful.
I should add that the car held it's own pretty well, I got passed easily by a couple of C8's and a 911. Ran about the same pace as the BMW 3. Not sure what model or mods were on that.
Reactions: 4
Grabs a good set of hawks. The stock brakes on these cars are good for the street, terrible for a road course.
Thanks for the help, any advise on which compound. I am not going to track this a lot, I am thinking 3-4 times a year.

Get motul 600bor equivalent fluid. You should see a noticeable improvement.
Thanks for the info on the pads.
I did put in Wilwood 600 brake fluid, had no problem with brake temp. Just had to brake way earlier than I am used to.
I think the pads will be a big help.
Hawk HP+ are terrible from my experience with them. And they squeal like crazy when cold, sound like they could wake the dead. At that point you're going to be switching between a set of pads for the track and a set of pads for the street anyways and you could be running something like a Raybestos ST43 or G-Loc R10 if they have that pad shape. Also another vote for using Motul RBF660, or Castrol SRF brake fluid. If you ever get better tires the ability to put a lot of heat into the brakes will definitely become a factor.
I've had good luck with the hawks for HPDE. DTC is a better choice but may net be as street-able.
Hawk HP+ are terrible from my experience with them. And they squeal like crazy when cold, sound like they could wake the dead. At that point you're going to be switching between a set of pads for the track and a set of pads for the street anyways and you could be running something like a Raybestos ST43 or G-Loc R10 if they have that pad shape. Also another vote for using Motul RBF660, or Castrol SRF brake fluid. If you ever get better tires the ability to put a lot of heat into the brakes will definitely become a factor.
Agreed on both the hawk hp+ and st43 assessment. Hp+ is great pad that will eat your rotors. Not really a track pad, but ideally Autocross pad, with lots of deliverance....as in SQUEAL!
The raybestos are a superior track pad, easy on rotors, easy to modulate and works over wide temp range. If you're going to track more than a few times will need to bed each time to get most out of pads or get a dedicated set of track rotors. Rubber side down!

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
Reactions: 1
1 - 13 of 13 Posts