Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a good time playing with my V. To date the mods are light. This wouldn't be the car I have to get the most power from, however, 4 door caddi that creates more power than a stock V sure can be a lot of fun.

First mods included blower pulley, headers, and a tune. I stayed with stock exhaust outside of the headers and love the sound. This was my idea of a sleeper I guess. Would love to throw a cam in it but I dunno.

What else would you guys recommend thats 'minor' and worth it?

I'd have to look at the dyno but if I recall correctly it was around 525 at the tire.

Thanks!

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you go any farther you will need injectors. As it is check the duty cycle before you do anything else. Also address cooling with an upgraded HX.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've had a good time playing with my V. To date the mods are light. This wouldn't be the car I have to get the most power from, however, 4 door caddi that creates more power than a stock V sure can be a lot of fun.

First mods included blower pulley, headers, and a tune. I stayed with stock exhaust outside of the headers and love the sound. This was my idea of a sleeper I guess. Would love to throw a cam in it but I dunno.

What else would you guys recommend thats 'minor' and worth it?

I'd have to look at the dyno but if I recall correctly it was around 525 at the tire.

Thanks!
My first round is as follows. It might be a bit more than you want though. Should be good for 600+ depending on E

2.4 upper
8.6 lower
50mm/100mm idlers
ID1050s
Flex Fuel Kit
Headers (car came with a full borla exhaust)
Airaid intake
90mm TB
Ported Snout
160* T-stat
And I think a Heat Exchanger
Oh and a catch can if that counts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I've read that the rear end is the weak point on these cars. Is that true and what power do you advise not to go beyond?

·
I need about tree fiddy.
1,059 Posts
Thanks!

I've read that the rear end is the weak point on these cars. Is that true and what power do you advise not to go beyond?
Rear diff is weak in the 2004 to 2007 Vs.

There are a bunch, if not dozens, running around with 700 to 800 on a stock drive line, and running in the 10s (and some 9s for the A6 guys). Granted, all bets are off when you get to that power level...or any power level above stock. The vast majority of these car's stock driveline hold high power number very well, all things consider. Especially when you think about the V1 shredded rear ends (mainly CVs and axles) at stock power levels.

If you have an M6, the stock clutch (from what I read) will start having its problems around 700-750 whp. The A6s limit seems to be around 800, if the trans tune is good and you don't just mash the throttle in 5/6. The sudden drop down to second or third it will create a lot of havoc in the 6L90.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Perhaps i missed it; first common mods i see others get are intake and bigger throttle body. not sure how drastic with the mods you already added, but intake and throttle body are spoken of highly.

·
Super Moderator
20,543 Posts
Perhaps i missed it; first common mods i see others get are intake and bigger throttle body. not sure how drastic with the mods you already added, but intake and throttle body are spoken of highly.
Negative.

First mods, most common, are intake, TUNE, upper pulley, injectors, some go for exhaust for sound (no power to be gained except maybe the B.B. midpipes).

Porting the throttle body helps with throttle response, but not much power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Negative.

First mods, most common, are intake, upper pulley, injectors, some go for exhaust for sound (no power to be gained except maybe the B.B. midpipes).

Even a 90mm?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Negative.

First mods, most common, are intake, upper pulley, injectors, some go for exhaust for sound (no power to be gained except maybe the B.B. midpipes).

Upgrade the HX, get a tune, and you should be good for a while, correct?

·
Super Moderator
20,543 Posts
Even a 90mm?
A 90 upgrade alone isn’t worth it, IMO, unless you just get a ported 90. Reason being the porting price is the same, so go for the extra 5 hp or so while you’re at it.

It really only starts making a difference once you start to really increase the airflow through the engine. Cam, heads, ported blower and pulleys, now you’re making power.

This is independent of the ethanol since the gains from ethanol is not directly related to increases in airflow.

Upgrade the HX, get a tune, and you should be good for a while, correct?
Tune should have been on my list. Definitely with anything more than an intake, and it will make the biggest difference of anything you can do.

But, it does void powertrain warranties and can affect emissions testing, but can be worked around that, oftentimes.

Upgrading the HX and HX pump is always a good idea, especially as you spin the blower faster and increase boost, and/or road race.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Negative.

First mods, most common, are intake, TUNE, upper pulley, injectors, some go for exhaust for sound (no power to be gained except maybe the B.B. midpipes).

Noted... thank you for the clarification!

·
Registered
618 Posts
For first round mods, Karch pretty much summed it up for you. I seen a lot of posts from people fighting high IAT's because they jumped right into the mods and neglected cooling. Listen to the other folks and include a good HX into your next round of mods.

Also if you want to stay sleeper-ish and gain lots of horsepower then you may want to consider corn, if that's an option. I gained 60 rwhp just off of corn alone on a stingy mustang dyno. I'm sure any of the vendors on the forum can give you an injector/flex fuel sensor packaged deal at a good price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@Force_Recon, your mods look really similar to what i'll be having installed in the next 30 days.

How long have you been running your stage 2 set-up and how do you like it? Are you addicted to the corn?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I switched to corn back in February 2018 and since then I haven't looked back. Over the years I had heard and read all the hype and high hp gains just by switching to E85 but it never set in until i saw it with my own 2 eyes on the dyno. The HP was just steadily climbing as the car was being tuned and dyno'ed. If I recall correctly it took about 5 pulls to get it dialed in on E85. It's a conservative tune so there was still a bit more left in it.

My personal stage 2 setup consisting of ID1300 injectors and Fore triple pump setup is overkill for most. I would say a DSX Aux pump and ID1050's is all that most would need. I only did that because that fuel setup paves the road for lots of high HP possibilities such as the 427 iron block that I have an itch for.

If corn is an option I highly recommend it. It will also give you the opportunity to get to know all the gas attendants on a first name basis.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts