Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Most people here don't know me as I rarely ever post unless, I have an important question to ask, or feel that I can add to a conversation. I never really post, just to post. However, I check the forum daily and read most of the issues and joys that so many have on this forum. What that said, I was able to purchase my dream car (at least to me) several months ago which was a CTS-V coupe with the manual in Black Diamond. Here is my introduction thread

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/2-n...new-guy-n-c-fayetteville-area.html#post336448

If you reviewed my intro post, I stated that I was active duty military (125D or Geospatial Engineer) and I learned a few months ago that I am going to be reassigned to Italy. After talking to a few buddies over there I have decided to lave the Cadillac behind. I have since put it into long term storage near my home town in Georgia. I researched and did all the prep work to set it up.(jacked up the tire pressure, sprayed fogging oil into the intake and into the spark plug holes Etc). Since the car is going to be in storage for at least the next three years. My plan is to save a significant amount towards modifications upon my return. My goals are to basically call Ben and go straight to the stage 5 with the addition of the squash fuel system and E-85. Also going to throw in some springs, sway bars, and some brake pads and lines.

This thread is basically a place holder, and a place for me to come back too three-four years from now, when it times to put her all together. So this build will be about a 4 year build when it is all said and done. Here is a few pictures of the car getting prepared for and in the storage, as I know everyone likes pictures.......In addition, the bike is a 2014 M109R.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly nobody is going to start(I am the only one with a key to the storage building). I did a lot of research before I left it there. It is currently sitting in a car bag, which completely seals it from the elements. I did change the oil, put it on Jack stands slightly(it is high enough to get some of the weight off the suspension but not the tires off the ground). Also bump the tire pressure up to 60 and put wood underneath the tires and jack stands. Also sprayed fogging oil in the intake until it stalled, pulled the spark plugs and gave them a heavy coat as well. Lastly, fuel stabilizer went into the tank and the battery is sitting on another piece of wood off to the right on a Battery tender. Just about every article I reviewed stated to NOT start the car every few weeks or months.

Who's going to start the car ? Doesn't seem good to leave a car 3 years without running engine? Unless everything was drained I guess?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I couldn't imagine leaving my V behind for 4 months let alone 4 years. Props for trying to preserve a pristine low mileage V for the future.

·
9 Second Club
1,953 Posts
Where will you be located? I lived in Naples/Lago Patria for 2 years while working on a big project for the Navy (I am a DoD contractor). It is in fact madness over there, it will blow your mind at first how terrible they drive and there seem to be no rules. We had rental cars and they always got dinged up, blown tires, etc.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man, and I really had no choice, the roads and drivers in Italy are horrible. The car would have came back looking like a crumbled up ball of aluminum foil with all the dents and scratches.

I couldn't imagine leaving my V behind for 4 months let alone 4 years. Props for trying to preserve a pristine low mileage V for the future.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for confirming what all of the soldiers over there have already told me. They said the EXACT same thing. Its like there are no rules, and running into someones car in Italy is the equivalent to bumping someone in Wal-Mart. You basically say excuse me, brush the guy off for being rude and drive away as if nothing happened. I am not ok with that, and will be getting a beater while I am there(a old school mini cooper from the 70's sounds cool).

I will be located in Vicenza with the 173rd.

Where will you be located? I lived in Naples/Lago Patria for 2 years while working on a big project for the Navy (I am a DoD contractor). It is in fact madness over there, it will blow your mind at first how terrible they drive and there seem to be no rules. We had rental cars and they always got dinged up, blown tires, etc.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That does sound cool, but I can't deal with the horrible drivers. I don't like swirls in my paint and won't drive to the malls because of the inconsiderate drivers. Could you imagine being SURROUNDED with people like that everywhere you go. Along with one roads that two cars drive down.

OMG! Imaging driving her through the alps... The autobahn... Taking on all those eurocars!

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
RKT SHP - In case no one has said it...THANK YOU for your service. EVERYONE serving in the armed forces is in someway helping our way of life. Airborne!!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I like your idea of preserving your V in a catatonic state but you said 4yrs. The only concern about storing it that long is the fuel stabilizer lasting. I would drained the tank to nearly nothing but a gallon of fuel mixed with the stabilizer that way when it's time to start her up you can add fresh fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Where'd you get the car bag?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did a lot of research on that very topic, and it seemed that the consensus was that it was better to leave it with a completely topped off tank with stabilizer in it, rather than leave it empty and deal with rust from condensation and consequently water. I believe that one bad tank of gas is much better than a tank full of rust and water.

I like your idea of preserving your V in a catatonic state but you said 4yrs. The only concern about storing it that long is the fuel stabilizer lasting. I would drained the tank to nearly nothing but a gallon of fuel mixed with the stabilizer that way when it's time to start her up you can add fresh fuel.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol.....

CarBag - Protective Jackets for Storing Your Car or Motorcycle. Made in the USA.

Again, I did a lot of research on this as well. I contemplated taking the car to Arizona ( I was stationed in Huachuca a few years ago), because I knew that I would be fighting the Georgia humidity. If you have ever been here you know EXACTLY what I am talking about. Luckily, I came across this company, and the reviews were amazing. After purchase the bag and putting the car into it. My first impressions are that this bag is he real deal. However, 3-4 years from now when it time to take the car out we will see how it looks.

On another note, I have no intentions of opening that bag until I am ready to put the car back into operation or something catastrophic happens (fire or something similar at the storage unit). When I come home on leave (Probably 2-3 times a year), I will just peep into the storage unit, check the battery tender, and give the bag a once over to make sure there are no holes, tears, or rodent infestation which there shouldn't be with the amount of moth balls I left in the storage unit.

Where'd you get the car bag?

1 - 20 of 165 Posts