Registered
4,246 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,571 Posts

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Sucks to hear this, especially since the girls dad died. Dead battery for a 60k mile car and unobtanium to replace it?

Nice.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
As a Lot Boy in the 70's it was a huge selling point to have a car that was way under 100k miles and buying one over 100k was a risky thing.

I think that this situation will occur more and more often with buying used EV. The more it occurs, the less resale value the EVs will have.

Reactions: subaru335i

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Exactly. That's why these cars are "soulless". There's nothing of the owner/driver's "soul" in the win. It's all the car. The driver is just spam in a can, along for the ride.

I would strongly disagree with the soulless comment. <y electric brings a smile to my face every time I drive it, just like the V did. Even my F car did not do that.

YMMV.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I would strongly disagree with the soulless comment. <y electric brings a smile to my face every time I drive it, just like the V did. Even my F car did not do that.

YMMV.
IIRC you have an Audi Etron which is a lot more uncommon and most likely more engaging to drive than most EV's especially Teslas.

I don't hate EV's but I sure as shit hate Teslas (and their fanboys). People spend $140k on a Tesla Plaid and it looks almost no different than the thousands of boring ass Model 3's and Y's and base model S AND they have to deal with awful interior and garbage quality and numb steering.

I would own a Taycan and a few other interesting EV's but I will never own a Tesla no matter how fast.

I saw an EV Hummer at the valet stand at my hotel in Cinci yesterday and it was pretty cool and unique.

Im starting to feel the same way about most Dodge vehicles with a hellcat engine stuffed in it as I do about fast teslas lol. They are heavy, bloated, outdated, boring looking, with shit interiors, and numb handling.
They aren't exciting and I have no desire to own one.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
The other day, Sect Transportation Pete B was in front of Transportation Board of Congress.

Rep Thomas Massie and him had this exchange.

We've, members here in CTS-V owners, have discussed the grid and EVs but this number is huge.

Just watched the video. I don't care about Charlie Kirk.

Reactions: m13s

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The math is simple. And when you do it (like I did, many years ago), it becomes immediately evident that if everyone bought an electric car, the nation's power grid would collapse the first time any more than about 1/4 of the owners plugged in to charge. Look at Texas and California, where they have had to issue warnings to electric car owners not to charge their cars during the heatwave, lest the State's power grids fail from the overload. There isn't enough spare generating capacity to charge everyone's cars. So for us all to go electric, a lot of money will need to be spent on enhancing the power distribution infrastructure in the US.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
They are even faster if you turn off the speed limiter.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
The math is simple. And when you do it (like I did, many years ago), it becomes immediately evident that if everyone bought an electric car, the nation's power grid would collapse the first time any more than about 1/4 of the owners plugged in to charge. Look at Texas and California, where they have had to issue warnings to electric car owners not to charge their cars during the heatwave, lest the State's power grids fail from the overload. There isn't enough spare generating capacity to charge everyone's cars. So for us all to go electric, a lot of money will need to be spent on enhancing the power distribution infrastructure in the US.
Seen elsewhere but with what has been occurring in California, the "math" rings true.

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Rectangle

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Right now, for the most part, we use fossil fuels / oil to generate our energy.

This was put in place many years ago, and it’s working now.

You simply can’t take and remove what’s working today, before you have the new energy system working sufficiently & reliably.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll never own an electric car! I like loud honkin' V-8s like the 440 ci six-pack in my old Dodge Challenger, and hopefully after I add the long-tube headers I'll like the sound of my CTS-V. I'm too old to change at this point in my life, so I'll just go out in a cloud of gasoline smoke :D. And like has been discussed here, unless we start building a LOT more nuclear reactor power plants, we're not going to have enough electricity to charge all of these EVs, and somehow I don't see the greenies going along with that...

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
And it was reported that EV manufacturers raised the prices of their vehicles by more than the tax incentive.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Probably won't be long until this is pulled from YouTube

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Probably won't be long until this is pulled from YouTube

I am simply cutting and pasting a post from Speed-Talk here.

Re: Only in California ... maybe not ...coming to your State ??
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Cool Beauty Event Happy Metal

Comment below from me. . .

Some people need to understand;
Batteries don't generate electricity, they simply function as a storage vessel.

Also, again;
Why would anyone remove a system today, a working system => oil, gasoline refinery, gas station, gas pump, which is currently supplying us with all of the energy we require. This system currently is available, and used by millions around the globe every day.

Why do they feel the need to replace that 'Life Sustaining' system, which was developed about 140 years ago, still is working well today, but still move forward and force us to use storage batteries, in just a few years time?

What's the rush?

On top of the above; the battery only stores energy, and does not generate, or replenish it's energy. The energy stored within the battery, will be depleted when an electrical current flows.

Now, how will that energy be re-generated once electricity has begun to flow? Maybe by Coal, or maybe by continuing to refine oil into gasoline?

Would they not still be polluting the air!

Finally, large amounts of taxes are collect every day, for every gallon of gas purchased.
How will they replace those taxes?

·
Registered
434 Posts
here in Australia with the new gov we are about to (with 20/20 Hein site) jump off the cliff like everyone alse, our climate minister is pushing for EV rollout, the way this guy thinks is that if everyone has EV's then at night time it can also support the grid as they will all be plugged in to charge.... did everyone hear that right ? if u charge your EV at night it will also be used to support the grid so ur going to want to go to work in the morning and if the grid needed power ur EV would not be charged... also the batteries dont like cold temps so its recommended to have a heated garage to store ur EV in winter....

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
here in Australia with the new gov we are about to (with 20/20 Hein site) jump off the cliff like everyone alse, our climate minister is pushing for EV rollout, the way this guy thinks is that if everyone has EV's then at night time it can also support the grid as they will all be plugged in to charge.... did everyone hear that right ? if u charge your EV at night it will also be used to support the grid so ur going to want to go to work in the morning and if the grid needed power ur EV would not be charged... also the batteries dont like cold temps so its recommended to have a heated garage to store ur EV in winter....
During a phone call with my distributor in Italy, he stated it best:
If someone wants to purchase and drive an EV, let them do so.
He continued; but I don't, and I do not want to be forced to do so!

And my opinion is; they need to leave the gasoline stations alone.
And if they feel they must; build out all of the EV Charging stations, over a longer period of time.

861 - 880 of 915 Posts