Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

61 - 80 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would have to believe that some level of modification and performance enhancing options must be on the horizon, but from what I understand there are not any currently. I can't comprehend that any major auto/motorcycle company would completely alienate all the aftermarket companies that support their vehicles much less their own accessories/upgrade department. I've rode Harleys for 35+ years, they make more from accessories, performance upgrades, and clothing and marketing than the bikes themselves. As we all know on this forum, performance upgrades is a huge market that employs a lot of people and keeps it fun. There would really be no need for the performance section if you can't make different levels of mods, whether you do them yourself or have them done at a respected shop.

I don't see the EV's in the same category as ICE autos. The performance market for cars grew naturally. When cars were a new invention, the first hot rodders started not much after that and they sorta of grew together organically with the manufacturers occasionally taking cues from the rodders to make their cars better. It grew because even though the manufacturers liked the win on Sunday, sell on Monday and the bragging rights of putting out the hottest cars, the engineering section was still held back by the corporation bean counters which left cars that were relatively easy to modify and make faster, and everybody wants to go just a little faster. Fast forward to modern times and you can buy a car that easily out performs most peoples skills and abilities. In fact you can buy cars that could be considered down right dangerous. How many roads can legitimately hold our cars power on a full-on max acceleration attempt where traction is not an issue? But we have cars like ours because they appeal to us. We know they are dangerous and they have evolved to be what they are because we have driven them to it.
Now the EV's are different. The car is no longer new. The people who are pushing the EV's for the most part aren't car guys. They are more akin to activists than enthusiasts. Their invention is designed to be a killing blow to the ICE and the traditional car. They are not building and evolving with the market. They are trying to redirect the existing market. They have taken a modern car and said, what do we have to do to beat it? Being fast is one of the bench marks they came up with. So now you have refrigerators that can legitimately run 10's with no mess and no drama and no excitement. Face it, most regular people do not want to go that quick so I don't really see much of a market for trying to get them to go faster and since they are already faster than most cars there is no incentive for them to hot rod. I'm sure some individuals will hack the system but I don't see much aftermarket support for EV performance. After all, an EV is just an appliance and I don't see anyone hot rodding refrigerators.

Reactions: nsaness

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I don't see the EV's in the same category as ICE autos. The performance market for cars grew naturally. When cars were a new invention, the first hot rodders started not much after that and they sorta of grew together organically with the manufacturers occasionally taking cues from the rodders to make their cars better. It grew because even though the manufacturers liked the win on Sunday, sell on Monday and the bragging rights of putting out the hottest cars, the engineering section was still held back by the corporation bean counters which left cars that were relatively easy to modify and make faster, and everybody wants to go just a little faster. Fast forward to modern times and you can buy a car that easily out performs most peoples skills and abilities. In fact you can buy cars that could be considered down right dangerous. How many roads can legitimately hold our cars power on a full-on max acceleration attempt where traction is not an issue? But we have cars like ours because they appeal to us. We know they are dangerous and they have evolved to be what they are because we have driven them to it.
Now the EV's are different. The car is no longer new. The people who are pushing the EV's for the most part aren't car guys. They are more akin to activists than enthusiasts. Their invention is designed to be a killing blow to the ICE and the traditional car. They are not building and evolving with the market. They are trying to redirect the existing market. They have taken a modern car and said, what do we have to do to beat it? Being fast is one of the bench marks they came up with. So now you have refrigerators that can legitimately run 10's with no mess and no drama and no excitement. Face it, most regular people do not want to go that quick so I don't really see much of a market for trying to get them to go faster and since they are already faster than most cars there is no incentive for them to hot rod. I'm sure some individuals will hack the system but I don't see much aftermarket support for EV performance. After all, an EV is just an appliance and I don't see anyone hot rodding refrigerators.
I completely agree

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Making the investment in an EV, but then not making the investment in a dedicated 240v charging outlet at your home is just a special kind of dumb. Like going to the Costco gas station on a Saturday afternoon and pulling up to the pump on the opposite side from where your fuel door is so you drag the hose across the roof of your CUV, then once the car is full you start filling several gas cans, completely oblivious to the 500 other people waiting for you finish failing your IQ test.

·
Premium Member
17,378 Posts
Got a dedicated 240v charger at my house, still prefer going to the gas station once every 8-9 days.

Remembering to plug in at the right time of day, every day is meh. Also, don’t forget to remove plug every day. Repeating when I get to work and leave......

Perhaps that is just undoing my normal programming that has been engrained for 34 years of driving.

Even when charging was free at work, still annoying to plug and unplug at work, not to mention when raining and snowing or just bitter cold and that is when you need charging the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Outstanding and well articulated response! I hadn't considered from that perspective, they probably can make them faster but no real incentive to do so. They are already quicker than what the average driver is comfortable with or would use. I worry about putting that much power in the hands of regular/distracted drivers that don't know how to control a fast car. After reading your post I have to agree, their objective is not to win drag races or take over the performance market, they are simply using the technology available to them to make ICE vehicles obsolete all together and consume the overall car market. With enthusiasts like we have on this site and have existed for generations I think that will be a hard fought battle. Thanks to your insight I no longer consider them a competitor or even in the same class, it would be like racing motorcycles against cars, not the same dynamics or parameters of performance. I will continue to own and modify ICE cars because it makes me happy and I have the company and competition of people like those on this site. I appreciate everyone here and the existence of this site, I have learned more than you could ever know and has been an invaluable resource.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I'd swap my wife's 340 for one in a heartbeat.
Is your wife's 340 an Xdrive? Cuz like I said before, with some very minor bolt ons that 340 can match or beat that 3s 0-60 lol.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Is your wife's 340 an Xdrive? Cuz like I said before, with some very minor bolt ons that 340 can match or beat that 3s 0-60 lol.
It is Xdrive.
But again, she doesn't need or want more power. My plan was to replace her 330 with a 328, but the 340 fell in my lap for close to the same price. I'm sure she's never gone past half throttle. Lastly, I need another modded car like I need a hole in my head.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
It is Xdrive.
But again, she doesn't need or want more power. My plan was to replace her 330 with a 328, but the 340 fell in my lap for close to the same price. I'm sure she's never gone past half throttle. Lastly, I need another modded car like I need a hole in my head.
You already have 7 holes in your head, whats just one more?

Do you think she would use the acceleration in a Model 3 either? If not, then whats the point. Get a Bolt.

61 - 80 of 140 Posts