Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Even Cadillac has decided to go “all electric”.
As far as “off the line” speed, don’t forget what an advantage AWD offers (EV or ICE)
As far as buying fast cars, big money will always be the ticket to the top. This is only a problem if you aren’t wealthy.
Don’t lament, just go buy what you like (and can afford) in a car.

I bet you’re here, because you already have an amazing car that is very well rounded and was a relative bargain when you consider price, maintenance, and reliability...

There are some cars I want and can’t afford. There are cars that I appreciate. There are some cars that only do one thing well, and they would be unfulfilling over time. Never has there been a car I was jealous of. I say good for anyone and anything that supports our car hobby/obsession (y)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The power you get from an electric motor differs from the power you get from an IC engine in a very fundamental way. Electric motors make their most torque at zero RPM. And as we all know, it's torque that moves the car. So off the line, an electric motor makes torque that an IC car can only hope to compete against with launch control and 4WD. Which is why cars like the GT-R can perform as well as an electric, and cars like our CTS-Vs cannot.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
EVs are great.. off the line but otherwise, meh.

Had some guy last week in a P90D beside me at a light. Didn't think much about it since they're everywhere out here & generally driven by women. The light turned green & he just took off hard, kinda trying to prove a point.

Of course, I'm over here in my archaic blown V8 with 700whp (hopefully) & 3 pedals thinking.. "mamma, didn't raise no bitch. Your gonna learn today"

Pull up to the next lights, look over and he has a stupid smug look on his face so of course shits about to go down. As expected he jumps ahead like 2.5 cars but that didn't last long. Bang second, blow the tires off hit 3rd still blowing the tires off fighting traction but slowly reeling him in then he was a distant memory (I had to prove a point ;) ).

Wish I had a picture of his face when I came around him blowing through the tires... LOL

Cliff notes: fuck em

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Even Cadillac has decided to go “all electric”.
As far as “off the line” speed, don’t forget what an advantage AWD offers (EV or ICE)
As far as buying fast cars, big money will always be the ticket to the top. This is only a problem if you aren’t wealthy.
Don’t lament, just go buy what you like (and can afford) in a car.

I bet you’re here, because you already have an amazing car that is very well rounded and was a relative bargain when you consider price, maintenance, and reliability...

There are some cars I want and can’t afford. There are cars that I appreciate. There are some cars that only do one thing well, and they would be unfulfilling over time. Never has there been a car I was jealous of. I say good for anyone and anything that supports our car hobby/obsession (y)
Great comment sir, that is a great perspective that I agree with 100%.

EVs are great.. off the line but otherwise, meh.

Had some guy last week in a P90D beside me at a light. Didn't think much about it since they're everywhere out here & generally driven by women. The light turned green & he just took off hard, kinda trying to prove a point.

Of course, I'm over here in my archaic blown V8 with 700whp (hopefully) & 3 pedals thinking.. "mamma, didn't raise no bitch. Your gonna learn today"

Pull up to the next lights, look over and he has a stupid smug look on his face so of course shits about to go down. As expected he jumps ahead like 2.5 cars but that didn't last long. Bang second, blow the tires off hit 3rd still blowing the tires off fighting traction but slowly reeling him in then he was a distant memory (I had to prove a point ;) ).

Wish I had a picture of his face when I came around him blowing through the tires... LOL

Cliff notes: fuck em
And that is what makes it fun, plus your car sounded badass passing him, lol.

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
I don’t know what he future will be for “collectible” electric cars, especially if the car hobbiest cannot get parts. Are we seeing a future of disposable cars, sort of like disposing an old refrigerator?
OLD refrigerators are sitting in garages keeping beer cold since 1960, new fridge lucky to get 10 years out of

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
What will happen to racing? Rob your fridge analogy is perfect. Been involved with motorsports my entire life and this is a disruptive technology and will invade the status quo.
Ever watch Formula E? Yawn and double fucking Yawn. At the local level newbies have never been more plentiful. I instructed at a BMW event last weekend and it was the most newbies they ever had (HPDE). SCCA Club and nationals have seen record entries, so that's all a good thing and may be a function of disposable income. I can't see myself road racing and electric vehicle, hybird yes, all electric I'll hang up my racing shoes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My money is on the future ending up as a mix of Demolition Man and Idiocracy. Everyone in San Angeles will have self-driving EVs while the rest of us will end up underground eating rat burgers and only bring out the Vs out when the shit hits the fan. I won't go into the Idiocracy reference as it doesn't need explanation.

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
My money is on the future ending up as a mix of Demolition Man and Idiocracy. Everyone in San Angeles will have self-driving EVs while the rest of us will end up underground eating rat burgers and only bring out the Vs out when the shit hits the fan. I won't go into the Idiocracy reference as it doesn't need explanation.
I already have plans for my V.

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

·
Dick Pickles
5,901 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
The ICE isn't going away.
It seems that people are ignoring the fact that just changing the fuel contributes a lot to pollution control.
PORSCHE isn't ignoring that.
porsche-investing-24-million-in-e-fuels-for-traditional-sports-cars.html
Also, there are the "super hybrids", expensive yes, but they haul ass.
FYI if you think technology is gonna wait for you, think again.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I was all set to buy a Trackhawk but after a 15 min test drive I realized it was as uninspiring as my auto V. Honestly, how many launches can you do before it gets old? I did get some emotions out of the test drive but it was mostly fear because I felt like I was driving a file cabinet strapped to an Acme rocket. I personally have had more fun driving a 150hp manual car then I ever did in my auto V or the Trackhawk. Although an electric car may be faster, I'm having way more fun driving which is more important to me than how fast I can go in a 1/4 mile. Long live the M6 and open headers!
I agree with this. Going fast is fun in a way but I have had as much fun in my 250hp (with like 1 ft-lb of tq lol) S2000 as I have in the V.
Im sure someone will make a small lightweight EV sports car that will be fun to drive but I would for sure miss the sound of 9000 rpm.

·
Dick Pickles
5,901 Posts
I was all set to buy a Trackhawk but after a 15 min test drive I realized it was as uninspiring as my auto V. Honestly, how many launches can you do before it gets old? I did get some emotions out of the test drive but it was mostly fear because I felt like I was driving a file cabinet strapped to an Acme rocket. I personally have had more fun driving a 150hp manual car then I ever did in my auto V or the Trackhawk. Although an electric car may be faster, I'm having way more fun driving which is more important to me than how fast I can go in a 1/4 mile. Long live the M6 and open headers!
There aren’t too many vehicles that can launch like a Trackhawk. I can attest that it’s an absolute blast to drive in stock form from 0-80mph. A pulley and injectors will help solve the 80mph and up issue. It’s a boat, but damn can that thing launch. 🚀

·
Registered
2014 6M, Recaros, Slicktop, Stock
48 Posts
Yeah that thing can launch hard. I tried to like it, I wanted to like it, I even went there with the intention of buying it, but that test ride killed it. One of my favorite traits of the V is on the highway when I can use the open holes to get around an idiot doing 49mph in the left lane. Lets just say the Trackhawk didn't instill confidence as much as fear when trying that. I don't know if it's a combination of the magna ride and lower center of gravity but the jeep felt more like my Tahoe than the V. I feel like the V was designed around the engine where the jeep is kinda like lets just stuff a big engine into something that was designed with my wife and kids in mind. Wound up saving 35k and I'm smiling everytime I rev match down shift into a corner, which is quite often.

·
Dick Pickles
5,901 Posts
You don't buy a performance SUV instead of a sports sedan, you buy one in addition to one.
I couldn’t decide whether to buy a fast boat or a house, so I bought a Trackhawk. 🤡 The best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
when the zombie apocalypse comes we'll see who has the last laugh

·
Registered
OEM-ISH Coupe
108 Posts
Besides all of that shit. just look at the V sitting there static in a parking lot and compare that look to a tesla. If any of us here on this forum didn't know anything about cars, we would gravitate to the V... I'll maintain the argument that an attraction to a tesla is a pretentious one and secretly they would all rather be driving something with personality, if not a V, then maybe a 69 Camaro, or a 71 Mach 1, or a 80 Malibu wagon, or almost anything that doesn't exist in mass quantities. I've seen 2 other V's in the last week. I honestly can't say how many teslas I've seen because they are invisible to me in the sea of Hondas and Toyotas and crew cab diesel trucks. Let the world change, they'll never experience it the way some of us have!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Besides all of that shit. just look at the V sitting there static in a parking lot and compare that look to a tesla. If any of us here on this forum didn't know anything about cars, we would gravitate to the V... I'll maintain the argument that an attraction to a tesla is a pretentious one and secretly they would all rather be driving something with personality, if not a V, then maybe a 69 Camaro, or a 71 Mach 1, or a 80 Malibu wagon, or almost anything that doesn't exist in mass quantities. I've seen 2 other V's in the last week. I honestly can't say how many teslas I've seen because they are invisible to me in the sea of Hondas and Toyotas and crew cab diesel trucks. Let the world change, they'll never experience it the way some of us have!
I agree 100%!! That is probably one of the things I love most about the V, especially the coupe. You see very few on the road and unless you are a car enthusiast you don't even know what a V is. When you go WOT people are like what just happened, that was an old guy Cadillac? I still have picture on my phone of a stranger's V coupe sitting in a parking lot because I thought it was beautiful and dreamed of owning one some day. I don't have any pics of Teslas, lol. It is a nice looking car but does not have the same appeal. Everywhere I go I have people come up to me to compliment the car and ask questions about it's performance, especially when clean and polished which is nearly impossible to sustain with Raven Black. Technology will progress and there are faster cars for a lot more money but everyone on this site knows this is one of the most amazing cars you can own at this cost. With a few mods and the wealth of knowledge on this site, this car is a beast that can keep up or pass it's competitors.

21 - 40 of 139 Posts