Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
281 - 300 of 627 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Write a check for an 8 second EV.

Or, go through the process of this build.

Both people would sleep well that night.

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
If I were in a position to buy a $2m car that went 8's at 170+, I wouldn't care if was propelled by gasoline, electricity, napalm, Asbestos, Roundup, or the ground up placentas of virgin unicorns. And I certainly would give zero fux what you fine gentlemen think about it or me. As if I do now...
View attachment 151392
You took it personally?

Reactions: subaru335i

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Not at all. I just don't get the obsession with the power source. Like someone telling you that nuclear powered subs have no soul. The old diesel powered ones, with the glorious diesel fuel and exhaust smell, with their beautiful exhaust sound, they just so much more passion! And all the repairs and maintenance just made it so much more engaging. Please. Technology allowed for a better, more efficient propulsion system.
ICE had a good run. There were some truly amazing engines and cars that should be remembered and celebrated. But time and technology have moved on. So instead of buying 12 second cars and pouring blood, sweat, tears and a bunch of money to turn them into 9 second cars, we can just buy 9 second (or faster) cars and have more free time to spend with friends and family. And watering and mowing the lawn.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Not at all. I just don't get the obsession with the power source. Like someone telling you that nuclear powered subs have no soul. The old diesel powered ones, with the glorious diesel fuel and exhaust smell, with their beautiful exhaust sound, they just so much more passion! And all the repairs and maintenance just made it so much more engaging. Please. Technology allowed for a better, more efficient propulsion system.
ICE had a good run. There were some truly amazing engines and cars that should be remembered and celebrated. But time and technology have moved on. So instead of buying 12 second cars and pouring blood, sweat, tears and a bunch of money to turn them into 9 second cars, we can just buy 9 second (or faster) cars and have more free time to spend with friends and family. And watering and mowing the lawn.
The expression you are looking for is DBF...Diesel Boats Forever....and the do have more soul and they are actually quite good.

With that 2.5 Mill car, put in the Telsa scanning system and you are moot. You'll no longer driving, you'll be doing nothing more than being superfluous luggage.

Reactions: m13s

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Do you regret buying that Durango yet? Just curious.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
But the beauty is you have a choice. Turn on auto pilot / self driving when you want, and turn it all off and drive it yourself when you want. To me, the self driving aspect of Tesla isn't a selling point. I just love power and performance. But given the skill set of the average, often distracted driver, perhaps them being driven by their car would be an improvement.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Nah the submarine thing isn’t a great analogy, no one personally owns a sub and doesn’t have the cultural significance as cars.

This is just an extension of the old manual vs auto debate taken to extreme.

Also why don’t you just replace your grass with fake Astro turf? Always green and no chemicals so it’s better for the environment and no watering or mowing! It’s great!

Or replace those friends and family with robots and sex dolls! Progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Nah the submarine thing isn’t a great analogy, no one personally owns a sub and doesn’t have the cultural significance as cars.

This is just an extension of the old manual vs auto debate taken to extreme.

Also why don’t you just replace your grass with fake Astro turf? Always green and no chemicals so it’s better for the environment and no watering or mowing! It’s great!

Or replace those friends and family with robots and sex dolls! Progress!

Greg, knows that I served on a sub...but like I said he's mistaken.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I guess what I don't understand is this:
Fast vehicle powered by gasoline = cool.
Fast vehicle powered by electricity = not cool.
Not cool because I can't change the oil.
Not cool because I can't spend time and money rebuilding the engine.
Not cool because I can't make it faster than the next guy (yet. I'm sure it's coming).
Almost all sanctioning bodies in racing have ways to try to create parity in their respective races. Yet someone wins and someone loses and millions of people watch and care.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
I think it’s that my grandmother can buy the Model S Plaid and line up at a stop light with you. With no knowledge of how it happens, she beats you off the line, all while you are working your ICE off to keep it straight. What does that day of her? Is it basically a life size R/C car? It’s the no skill of the driver to achieve 8 seconds.

Also, to play the game and say 90% of cars on the grid today were EV could not happen without mini nuclear plants across the nation, well, where does everyone stand on that?

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
The cars are stupid fast, there is no question of that and if you can afford one, good on you, no judgement here. I imagine crazy fun to go that fast although I don't think most people should have that power available to them when they are more focused on texting. Having a fast car does not make you a good fast driver. I think the point many here are trying to make and I was when I initiated the thread is where is the enthusiast factor? There is a long standing thread here, "What did you do for your V today?". What can you say you did for your Tesla today other than cosmetic? Better brakes/tires but really that is about it unless Tesla releases a new firmware upgrade or eventually offers bigger battery packs or more effeicient motors at the wheels. The whole drive and attraction of muscle cars has always been competition and pushing the limits. If you have a drag race event of stock Hellcats racing each other it's going to be boring AF. The mods they are able to do is what makes it interesting and even us V guys sometimes hold our own. Until you can do individual performance upgrades to an EV there is no competition or a basis for enthusiasm/competition.

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
449 Posts
I think they are secretly pissed that a soy boy blew thier doors off after they spent $15,000 on modding thier car and thought they were the coolest thing around. That's what I think.

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
Fake grass sounds good, good point on chemicals, mowing,seeding, f all that when I can just buy grass and enjoy it right away and its always there. I bet it’s much Better for the environment too.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I guess what I don't understand is this:
Fast vehicle powered by gasoline = cool.
Fast vehicle powered by electricity = not cool.
Not cool because I can't change the oil.
Not cool because I can't spend time and money rebuilding the engine.
Not cool because I can't make it faster than the next guy (yet. I'm sure it's coming).
Almost all sanctioning bodies in racing have ways to try to create parity in their respective races. Yet someone wins and someone loses and millions of people watch and care.
For me, I enjoy the build far more than the finished product. I’ve yet to own a car more than 2 years after I have hit whatever goal I had for it. I know that doesn’t apply to guys that live at the strip or competitively race and their argument may be different.

I got into working on cars to win money off the guys that thought they could go buy something shiny off the showroom floor and pick on guys like me with what looked like a shit box. There is another level of satisfaction I feel when my knowledge, research, and skill can beat a car that costs 2-3x what I have in mine. My very closest friends were met through these races and have similar mindsets so it grows into a set of values. At the end of the day, I couldn’t care less what makes someone else excited about their car they just bought and wish them well. It just won’t garner the same respect from me as a guy that knows the inner workings of what makes their car fast and can pick up their own wrenches to fix what breaks. Grown ass people that don’t know how to drive a stick shift get thrown in the same category.

Doesn’t mean I won’t be nice to you or respect you as a person, it just won’t be the same respect as a guy that works on his own car or can jump in/on anything with wheels and get where they need to go.

281 - 300 of 627 Posts