Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 674 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 52yo and grew up on muscle cars, it is my passion. Learning to build and tune to get a few extra HP to go one tenth of a second faster is what makes it fun and why we spend so many hours and dollars in that pursuit. Now your 20 something next door neighbor who has never turned a wrench in his life can drop a $100K and go faster than most any car you have built. All he has to do is show up at the strip, press the pedal (that has no mechanical linkage) and go, will probably blow you away with AWD and instant torque on street tires. Not only is he faster, it is a regular daily driver sedan. He can't even do any mods if he wanted to other than changing the tires unless the company offers a new firmware upgrade. I fail to see where the fun is in this, don't get me wrong, I love going fast. But if you can reach these speeds with no knowledge of how or time and money invested, then where is any sense of pride? In my opinion it completely removes the sense of competitivenes if anybody can buy the same car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I know what you mean. It's the old built versus bought conflict. It's just the same as someone buying a car straight off of the showroom floor, taking it to a car show and walking away with a trophy. Unfortunately, it is the way of life. New replaces old eventually. They may have the bragging rights but they don't know the love, the blood, the sweat, the tears, and ultimately the joy and pride in realizing, I did this.

Reactions: SimplyDreamin

·
Registered
199 Posts
the one thing EV's will never replace is the fact of building and tuning a mechanical rotating mass with as close to perfection as u can to make the most power u can, sure they are and will always be fast but there just isnt fun in sitting at the lights ready to mash the throttle in pure silence...

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
752 Posts
It doesn't matter WHAT it is, there will always be someone faster. If you're lacking fulfilment in life because some goofball beat you at the track in something they BOUGHT, instead of wrenching on it themselves, well then I feel sad for you. 😕

·
Registered
319 Posts
EV’s are the future and Cali is trying to do away with gasoline burning engines ASAP. However, I felt pretty good about having a steady car length on a dual motor Tesla 60-140 awhile back. Not gonna try a dig on street tires. Kinda odd feeling only hearing my own car and not the one next to me, he didn’t seem to be having as much fun either. Faster or not I can’t see giving up the sound feel and rush of an “ICE.” Or working on them myself, not much to do on EV besides gut the interior and charge it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm not sure what world you live in, but it has always been that way. It has always been possible to buy speed with a big wallet. Yenko, GNX, Cobra Jet, GT2 RS; the list goes on and on. Every race I've ever been to, the fast guys are the ones who burned big money, regardless of whether they bought it from the factory, or they bolted it into the car themselves.

Hell, everybody on this forum "bought" speed; it's not like we all bought some clapped out impala and spent hours tuning carbs or remapping injection curves to eke out a few more horsepower, we bought $60K (or more) of factory 650HP, then threw more money at it to make it faster. There are guys out there who buy teslas and modify them for more speed, too. Just because the technology changes doesn't mean that people do.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
When I was laying under my car last weekend, struggling to get the oil filter off, as sciatic nerve pain was shooting down my leg, aggravating my sketchy lower back, I thought to myself, man, a 9 second EV sounds pretty good to me.

·
Registered
2014 6M, Recaros, Slicktop, Stock
84 Posts
I was all set to buy a Trackhawk but after a 15 min test drive I realized it was as uninspiring as my auto V. Honestly, how many launches can you do before it gets old? I did get some emotions out of the test drive but it was mostly fear because I felt like I was driving a file cabinet strapped to an Acme rocket. I personally have had more fun driving a 150hp manual car then I ever did in my auto V or the Trackhawk. Although an electric car may be faster, I'm having way more fun driving which is more important to me than how fast I can go in a 1/4 mile. Long live the M6 and open headers!

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
9 second quarter and plastic control arms lol.
Why, exactly? Because your past experience with plastic says it's not strong? Fiber Reinforced Plastic is both lightweight, strong and flexible (and cheap) and can easily fill the need for an upper control arm.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
To paraphrase from The Right Stuff, if you're in an EV you're just "spam in a can". The car is doing all the work, you're just ballast. A win in a car like that isn't a win for the driver. It's a win for the car's computers. For me, driving is about the experience and EVs dumb that down more than I am willing to accept.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Plastic control arms that I've personally seen break bother me, and then there's the whole other issue of Tesla not wanting anyone to work on their shit. Fun finding parts.

1 - 20 of 674 Posts