Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have gotten the first couple rounds of mods done to the car. I dynoed at 695/688 on E. I got the drag pack finished up so decided to go to TnT tonight.

I don't think the E was top notch this refuel as I trapped slower ET and mph than the time before without skinnies up front, but was pretty close.

I would like to know if you feel like these times are good for the power the car is making? I'd estimate the car was closer to 670whp or less tonight based on trap speed.

I set my best 60 of 1.59 so that was great. I feel like I'm leaving time out there in the 60. I do feel it spinning but always leave around 1100rpms. I'm going to try slightly above idle next time out.

305/45/17 MT ET Street R @ 18lbs was record pressure.
28x6x18 MT Sportsmans

I have tried 16-20psi and all of the pressures briefly spin when coming out of the hole. I do not ease into it. I let off the brakes and take the gas pedal to the floor.

Anyways, let me know what you think whether I'm on par for the power levels or where I'm leaving time on the table.

·
Registered
'14 Coupe
148 Posts
Me thinks you should be under 7 seconds in 1/8 and slightly above 100mph.
Try to do the shoulder roll method, or have gas pedal all the way down by the time you go past the tree.
18 psi works for me on 305 street Rs.
Log your next run and see if you are spinning, maybe check your trans tune as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me thinks you should be under 7 seconds in 1/8 and slightly above 100mph.
Try to do the shoulder roll method, or have gas pedal all the way down by the time you go past the tree.
18 psi works for me on 305 street Rs.
Log your next run and see if you are spinning, maybe check your trans tune as well.
My previous trip out I ran 7.02 @ 102.58 with a 1.62 60'. I'm not for sure how I lost almost 3mph of trap speed unless the fuel mix was really off more than I thought. So I definitely agree with you on the trap speed being over 100 as I have been 102.58.

I'm hoping leaving off closer to idle on 18psi next time out gives me the best possible 60 I can pull at my power level.

Here's the video of the 7.02 @ 102.58. Shifts sound good to me?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
These cars are very weather dependent. You may have made 695, but that was with some kind of weather correction on the dyno. At the track you get actual power based on weather. I'm not far from you and our weather was probably 2000' DA last night, that's .2s and a couple mph lower than 0' DA for me.

With 305/45/17's I ran 21 psi. I imagine Huntsville would be prepped better than my local track (Music City). But how to leave is all based on how the timing is in the tune.

What are your mods?

Reactions: db-guru

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
These cars are very weather dependent. You may have made 695, but that was with some kind of weather correction on the dyno. At the track you get actual power based on weather. I'm not far from you and our weather was probably 2000' DA last night, that's .2s and a couple mph lower than 0' DA for me.

With 305/45/17's I ran 21 psi. I imagine Huntsville would be prepped better than my local track (Music City). But how to leave is all based on how the timing is in the tune.

What are your mods?
True. I didn't check DA but we just had all those storms so it was humid and warm. I just calced it with yesterday's recordings and it came out to 2398.48. YIKES!

TSP 2" headers, no cats, Corsa Sport mufflers
Stage 1 cam kit - 225/243 .629/.629 116LSA 112ICL
Typical valvetrain with cam kit
2.38 upper and Lingenfelter 9.1 lower kit
2 DW pumps, 1000cc FIC injectors, 93/E85 tune
CAI
Dragpack, 305/45/17 rear and skinnies up front

I do not have any cooling stuff yet and looking at the ETs, car was heat soaking for sure as they climbed while 60's got better.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You really need some cooling. Probably a trunk tank, 3/4 lines and emp pump if you really want to race it a lot. That’s the biggest bang for the buck for a car that’s mostly raced at the track. IMO a heat exchanger isn’t going to do much and the stock lid is best with the brick reinforced. You could be in the 6.6x’s at 105+ with good weather and keeping the IAT’s in check.

For comparison, I dynoed 720 and went [email protected] right after. With track tuning, I got that down to [email protected] in good weather. My combo was similar, but with ported heads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really need some cooling. Probably a trunk tank, 3/4 lines and emp pump if you really want to race it a lot. That’s the biggest bang for the buck for a car that’s mostly raced at the track. IMO a heat exchanger isn’t going to do much and the stock lid is best with the brick reinforced. You could be in the 6.6x’s at 105+ with good weather and keeping the IAT’s in check.

For comparison, I dynoed 720 and went [email protected] right after. With track tuning, I got that down to [email protected] in good weather. My combo was similar, but with ported heads.
Jeez man! That's awesome ET. I feel like it's going to be hard for me to get .4 but it could be doable with good air and IATs. I was looking at the trunk tank as the next go to. Last night proved I could benefit from it. I don't have the ability to log runs right now so no way of knowing. Probably is pulling a lot of power out at the top end even though it feels like it's pulling hard the whole time.

Do you have a recommendation for trunk tank?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I made my own trunk tank.

I’ve built a few of them for locals.

I think most people use a PNR tank. I think mont motorsports carries them.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have a little less power than you (616 on 93, but hard to compare between different dynos) and have found the combination of track prep and DA make a huge difference. I keep a spreadsheet of my runs and here's an average of two days in 2019 showing the effect of DA. Diff of 2 MPH in 1/8 and 5 MPH in 1/4. It took me a couple of years to get in the habit of checking DA every time.
60'1/8MPH1/4MPHDA

·
Registered
'14 Coupe
148 Posts
As far as cooling mods, I'm just gonna say that meth is your friend, specially for 1/4 mile runs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made my own trunk tank. View attachment 149974
View attachment 149975
I’ve built a few of them for locals.

I think most people use a PNR tank. I think mont motorsports carries them.
Solid work man! Definitely took some skill! I'm in limbo right now trying to figure out what I want to do and when I can do it. I'll hit you up if I decide to go that route!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a little less power than you (616 on 93, but hard to compare between different dynos) and have found the combination of track prep and DA make a huge difference. I keep a spreadsheet of my runs and here's an average of two days in 2019 showing the effect of DA. Diff of 2 MPH in 1/8 and 5 MPH in 1/4. It took me a couple of years to get in the habit of checking DA every time.
60'1/8MPH1/4MPHDA
Great info! Thank you for this. It makes perfect sense now. The last time I went it was fall and around 50* in the middle of the day with minimal (for Alabama) humidity. Makes sense why I hit 102.58 with bad 60's but 99.7x with good 60's. -sigh- LOL. I'm going to start logging trips like this now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as cooling mods, I'm just gonna say that meth is your friend, specially for 1/4 mile runs.
Do you have recommendations or what do you run? I saw Alkycontrol- gets expensive quick depending on which route you got. Looked like at least 1k+ but was a solid kit.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
track prep isnt talked about enough imo . even with the best wheel and tire setup .

the best 60's ive seen are from idle , it will rev quick enough to flash the converter up to a higher rpm with the "slack" . Just lifting the brake nearly as fast as your WOT. 1.4x 60s are possible with a 600 whp car . tire size will also play a dramatic roll in 60'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
track prep isnt talked about enough imo . even with the best wheel and tire setup .

the best 60's ive seen are from idle , it will rev quick enough to flash the converter up to a higher rpm with the "slack" . Just lifting the brake nearly as fast as your WOT. 1.4x 60s are possible with a 600 whp car . tire size will also play a dramatic roll in 60'.
Track prep wasn't great last night. It was an impromptu TnT cause of weather and weekend stuff getting canceled. They never swept it, drug it, or sprayed after it started. Time before was glue every pass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts