Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Epoxied Oil Drain Bolt

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Kjwhit 
#1 ·
So I just got my V late last year, mid September from an undisclosed Jaguar dealer in Northfield, IL. I wasn't very happy with the deal but it was a V coupe, hard to find especially in black. It had a burnt out DRL light, ratty tinting, loose seats, suspension squeak. They refused everything...replacement bulb, service manual, $50 off...but no budge. But it was a V right? Three days after I bought her the rear suspension sensor rusted solid and broke the shaft. How does that happen in three days? Then the rear shocks went bad, oh well figured par for the course on these.

Anyways I hit the final straw. I'm under there replacing bushings, shocks, etc. and notice an oil film on the bottom of the pan and on the front of the trans. After looking closer I notice this on the drain bolt. I chipped at least half of it off before realizing what it was and taking a picture. Haven't removed the bolt yet to see if it's stripped or what but who does this?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

Brown Motor vehicle Wood Handle Door

See less See more
#2 ·
I would check the carfax to see who changed the oil last. Usually the selling dealer changes the oil prior to sale.
I would show the dealer what they did if you have proof that they changed it last. Sad to see. Good luck.

Reactions: gunnermjoyce
#3 ·
You have oil directly above the drain bolt. You likely have a leaking rear main seal as well.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

#5 ·
You know that was my first thought, some sort of paint pen marking to determine bolt rotation. But it's on the bottom, top, and like I said I chipped a chunk at least as bog as you see in the pic. The rest I bet fell off in service.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Then I saw the epoxy. Could be both unfortunately.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Then I saw the epoxy. Could be both unfortunately.
Hah, or maybe they thought it was the drain bolt and actually is the rear main.

#6 ·
That looks like "tamper seal" to me, that's what we called it when I worked as a lube tech. Quicklube style oil change places apply it to see if anyone has changed the oil on the car after they did it. It falls off when you remove the plug, so the lube tech would see that it is no longer in place if you came back and tried to blame something on them.

It looks like your oil leak is probably coming from above, maybe rear main.

#7 ·
Interesting, didn't know there was such a process...but then no one has ever changed my oil but me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.