Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I've searched and searched and found nothing. Any tips or suggestions before I pull this out Thursday?
Like dropping the cradle? or you pulling the assembly out the top. I've used lifts to pull motors out the top many times.. If you are dropping the trans 1st it wont be that bad. What does suc is the bottom 2 bolts to the A/C compressor ( I didnt want to disconnect mine). My past experience would tell you to pull the wheels so you can have the car lower once you get everything loose and its ready to come out other wise they will hit and will be a PITA.. Oh the motor mount arms are kind of a PITA, especially on the passenger side, they will want to hit the hard brake lines mounted on the frame/shock tower. Good Luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've searched and searched and found nothing. Any tips or suggestions before I pull this out Thursday?
Like dropping the cradle? or you pulling the assembly out the top. I've used lifts to pull motors out the top many times.. If you are dropping the trans 1st it wont be that bad. What does suc is the bottom 2 bolts to the A/C compressor ( I didnt want to disconnect mine). My past experience would tell you to pull the wheels so you can have the car lower once you get everything loose and its ready to come out other wise they will hit and will be a PITA.. Oh the motor mount arms are kind of a PITA, especially on the passenger side, they will want to hit the hard brake lines mounted on the frame/shock tower. Good Luck
I was planning on dropping it out the bottom since that's just normally easier with LS cars. If I'm guessing wrong let me know, I can take it out the top too. I was planning on leaving the trans in and the a.c. lines connected though..

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would think it has to be much easier to pull it out the top. There's too much going on around the k-member. The radiator stack is half held by the k-member, half by the core support. Lot's of cooling lines running all over the place too. Unlike a 4th gen camaro, everything is easy to get to from the top.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think it has to be much easier to pull it out the top. There's too much going on around the k-member. The radiator stack is half held by the k-member, half by the core support. Lot's of cooling lines running all over the place too. Unlike a 4th gen camaro, everything is easy to get to from the top.
Yeah I've talked to a couple people and think im gonna take it out the top.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to update this, it is definitely alot easier to pull it from the top on this car. I should have done a how too but I was in a time crunch. I'll do a quick run down and if anyone has questions let me know. Remove the bumper (not needed but I don't like scratches) directions can be found in this section, drain the radiator by removing the lower hose, there is no petcock. Remove all the clips for the coolant lines going into the radiator (vacuum caps help with spills) unbolt the a/c condensor and remove all the clips for the wiring on the fans. Un-plug the fans and remove the 4, 10mm bolts on the radiator supports. radiator and fans should come out as one now. Next I undid all the grounds on the back of the heads and required wiring for removal, removed the exhaust, steering rod, fuel lines, 4 bolts for the A/C compressor, and heater lines. Then I pulled the blower, supported the trans with a metal bar wedged on top of the k-member, removed starter and flywheel bolts then removed all the trans bolts. At that point, you can remove the motor mount top nuts and pull it. I do recommend a balancer for your hoist. Please excuse the typos I'm on the cell and rushed this out. Some things were harder than others but it took me about 7hrs by myself. If I had to do it again I could probably do it alot faster but there really wasn't any guidance out there. I did not mention anything about the hx, or ice tanks, intakes that's all relative to what you have on your car so that's why it's not in there. Again if you have any questions shoot me a message I can go alot more in depth.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot the power steering pump, no need to pull the lines must to have to bleed it, remove the 4 bolts and just tie it up where the intake goes. Plenty of room to pull the motor out without hitting it. Also when you disconnect the steering link bar do not turn the steering wheel. I'm probably forgetting other stuff but hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Forgot the power steering pump, no need to pull the lines must to have to bleed it, remove the 4 bolts and just tie it up where the intake goes. Plenty of room to pull the motor out without hitting it. Also when you disconnect the steering link bar do not turn the steering wheel. I'm probably forgetting other stuff but hopefully this helps.

Nice work.. Yeah I think dropping would still be harder IMHO
One thing I notice is the motor mounts that attach to the side of the block. Going back in, I found it easier to leave the DS off until I had the motor most the way down and past those PITA lines on the DS side. Then just take and impact and pop it on. I was also very careful to watch the brake lines on the passenger side, one could easily drop the engine on those. I hope you took some pics of the wiring and how it goes along both sides of the pan (between the headers and block) as that got a little foggy for me to remember when going back in because it had been a fuckin month.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it will probably be about a month for me too it seems. I did take some pics for that though. I actually did put it back in to mock it up and really I had no problem leaving both mounts on so that's pretty weird but my lift makes it pretty easy to move it around in the air so I just twisted it alittle and dropped it right back down. I'll take some pics on install and put them in here, hopefully it helps someone.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yeah it will probably be about a month for me too it seems. I did take some pics for that though. I actually did put it back in to mock it up and really I had no problem leaving both mounts on so that's pretty weird but my lift makes it pretty easy to move it around in the air so I just twisted it alittle and dropped it right back down. I'll take some pics on install and put them in here, hopefully it helps someone.
Yeah when I pulled just the short block out I twisted as well, but I went in with motor and trans as one.. wasnt a lot of twisting I could do.. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts