Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radio antenna receiver on the roof of my wife's Ford Flex is stripped out (the antenna screws into it) and I can't get a good bite for the antenna to hold. I've tapped threads into it (twice) but now there's really not enough in there for the antenna threads to bite. I'd love to just use some JB Weld for a permanent hold, but I'm afraid it will inhibit the radio signal. Suggestions?

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I'm finding - super expensive to use silver.

Also finding this at a much more reasonable cost, but certainly the lesser option.

Think JB Weld is a hard no? Or would there still be enough direct contact between the antenna and the housing?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
JB Weld isn't conductive, I thought that was a pre-requisite.

Instead of tapping holes in set epoxy, why not use it to hold a threaded conductive insert?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure I follow your last statement.

I do understand that JB Weld is not conductive, curious if a small amount would hold the antenna in the socket but the connection still predominantly be metal to metal.

As a temporary solution, I've stripped a small piece of strand wire, flattened it out, and inserted it in the hole while threading in the antenna. It has a decent hold but don't think it'll survive a car wash.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Is there enough material left to helicoil it? That would definitely be conductive.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't believe so.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I do understand that JB Weld is not conductive, curious if a small amount would hold the antenna in the socket but the connection still predominantly be metal to metal.

As a temporary solution, I've stripped a small piece of strand wire, flattened it out, and inserted it in the hole while threading in the antenna. It has a decent hold but don't think it'll survive a car wash.
I would like to see a pic.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
how about attaching a nut with some JB weld or other product , this way it tightens and still makes contact with the roof

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pics. Think this will work fine, but a permanent solution would be nice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just spitballing some ideas here:

1. use your wire trick there to get a solid electrical connection, but then use in addition some jbweld on the black area just outside of the hole. Like where the bottom cupped area of the antenna is, so the jb is hidden underneath.

2. Use some soldering filler wire, melt into a liquid and dump into the hole. Then thread in antenna and let harden.

Reactions: SilverSedan

·
Registered
739 Posts
Reactions: 04chase

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have to drop the headliner to change the base.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
probably just the rear part, its not bad to do ive replaced /painted a bunch of them in my lifetime . are you sure there isnt some kind of access panel on the inside?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read the procedure on a Flex forum. While it would be preferable to have a new base, that will be a last resort for me.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Just put some epoxy in the hole and screw the insert in. Stripped doesn't mean there is no contact, there'll still be plenty of metal on metal contact, and you only need a tiny little point of contact for the antenna to work. If you want to maximize contact, wrap some aluminum foil around the insert threads before you screw it in... This is an antenna, the electrical current is measured in µAmps, a big contact area isn't required. It'd probably work just fine with the tiniest, infinitesimally small point of contact.

·
Premium Member
12,809 Posts
Did you try no antenna ? The radio part of it may actually be in one of the windshields

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you try no antenna ? The radio part of it may actually be in one of the windshields
Reception is shit without it.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
lol who uses the radio ?

id helicoil that with some thread locking

1 - 20 of 20 Posts