Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone has dropped in a complete LS9 to replace the LSA? What’s required and does the dry sump tank fit or would it have to be converted to wet sump? Thanks folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Curious if anyone has dropped in a complete LS9 to replace the LSA? What’s required and does the dry sump tank fit or would it have to be converted to wet sump? Thanks folks.

I don't think you will find a way to fit the dry sump
within the engine compartment. This has been
discussed fully on this forum some years back.

Even if you install a wet sump, I would be sure that the
cylinder heads will accommodate all of your accessories.

I believe the heads and block will accommodate all of
your accessories, but I would spend as much time as
it takes to make sure they will.

Also, be sure the crankshaft snout (front), as well as
be sure the rear crankshaft flange are the same.

It's 'Hell' if you install the engine and the converter
or input shaft won't fit..:mad:

Good Luck!

Cheers,
RD

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Premium Member
17,443 Posts
LS9 crank is 9 bolt flange.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Isn't the dry sump crank snout longer also - so the crank has to be pulled (and shortened)?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Isn't it easier just to buy the ZR1 intact?

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Isn't the dry sump crank snout longer also - so the crank has to be pulled (and shortened)?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Yes it is, but I don't know if it would have to be modified or not?

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Convert to wet and flexplate conversion. Easier to forge an LSA
And I was hoping you would reply to this thread..:)

Reactions: Lt1z

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Yeah, way easier just to build one you want. And, maybe even less dough!

Reactions: Rubber Duck

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks. I figured it would be a large undertaking. Reason I asked is because I have a line on one and was contemplating buying it and building a restomod 69 Camaro but then the thought crossed me mind if it would be an easier swap in the V, I'd put the LSA in the Camaro.

·
Vendor
13,298 Posts
Thanks folks. I figured it would be a large undertaking. Reason I asked is because I have a line on one and was contemplating buying it and building a restomod 69 Camaro but then the thought crossed me mind if it would be an easier swap in the V, I'd put the LSA in the Camaro.
It would be easier to put the LS9 in the camaro with a dry sump

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have all the stuff machined to convert the LS9 crank to wet sump. It is not as simple as converting an LS7.

The crank snout is not only longer, it has a larger diameter step where the oil pump drive is located. There is also no keyway near the #1 main to locate the shorter timing gear.

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
I have all the stuff machined to convert the LS9 crank to wet sump. It is not as simple as converting an LS7.

The crank snout is not only longer, it has a larger diameter step where the oil pump drive is located. There is also no keyway near the #1 main to locate the shorter timing gear.
There we go, just the guy your looking for..lol
Long time no see you post Lonnie. . .

Take care,
Bruce

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes, it's been a while....
I got sidetracked with another major build & the LS9 is still scattered across the floor.

Here is a picture of the crank... you cannot see the step which is approx .003 larger about 2" from the end of the crank. just behind the front key way.

In addition to shortening the snout, I had it ground to remove the step and an ATI balancer hub honed to proper press fit.
I also got it machined for a full length key way to both locate the timing gear plus give better blower hub retention..

I also converted to an LSA style drive system & accessories instead of the impossible to find 10 rib accessories.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts