Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have been searching forums and reading. So my rear diff bushings were shot getting the clunk diff was moving around. I replaced them with the creative steel ones. Took it for a ride and it's now a bang when letting off the clutch in mostly 1 through 3 and reverse. If I feather it no bang/clunk. I also replaced diff fluid. I chocked and jacked the car up looked under the back you can see the drive line jolt then release back again. Is this normal or is something else wrong thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,761 Posts
It's hard for me to imagine what you're talking about - but check every bolt and torque spec again. Swaybars, diff, driveshaft, mounts and couplers. You also might want to inspect the Trans mounts.

Bang kind of makes me think something is loose

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I feather the clutch it won't do it. I also went under the car today. The driver side axle has 0 play in it it's nice and tight. The passengers side you can slide side to side and replicate that noise. I checked the center bearing and mounts everything is good. And it only does it in reverse to 1st and second.

What I'm trying to say is if you try and slide the passengers side axle side to side or left to right it clunks metal on metal ka clunk. It's not moving at the diff to axle mount or hub to spline mount. It's Inside the boot also when you slide it and let it go it springs back on its own. Driver side is solid no play. So from what I'm thinking when you are on and off the clutch it's putting tension on and off causing it to clunk inside it self?

·
Registered
342 Posts
If I feather the clutch it won't do it. I also went under the car today. The driver side axle has 0 play in it it's nice and tight. The passengers side you can slide side to side and replicate that noise. I checked the center bearing and mounts everything is good. And it only does it in reverse to 1st and second.

What I'm trying to say is if you try and slide the passengers side axle side to side or left to right it clunks metal on metal ka clunk. It's not moving at the diff to axle mount or hub to spline mount. It's Inside the boot also when you slide it and let it go it springs back on its own. Driver side is solid no play. So from what I'm thinking when you are on and off the clutch it's putting tension on and off causing it to clunk inside it self?
Interesting. One post I read mentioned a rear-end cradle alignment fixed the issue. It is possible one side is binding while the other has too much play and it's not centered. Seems too good to be true though, but it's prob your cheapest possible solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it wasn't the axle but I found out what it is. I looked at the center bearing closer it's loose and the rubber is rotted around it. You can move it up and down and side to side. Can the veering itself be changed or do I need a while new drive shaft

·
Registered
342 Posts
So it wasn't the axle but I found out what it is. I looked at the center bearing closer it's loose and the rubber is rotted around it. You can move it up and down and side to side. Can the veering itself be changed or do I need a while new drive shaft
I don't know if that driveshaft is serviceable without maybe getting a specialty shop involved. You might be better off getting a one piece unit and doing away with the CB altogether, but you may have an increase in transferred vibrations when doing away with the CB.
There is also a place that will replace your CB with one with a polyurethane bushing if you want to go that route. Other than that you have to fully replace the driveshaft

·
Registered
35 Posts
New driveshaft is in definitely a difference clunking is less still there though. I'm assuming it's just how these cars are from what I read. It's definitely a huge improvement though.
Did you go with a one-piece or stock?

Reactions: ThunderOne

·
Registered
342 Posts
New driveshaft is in definitely a difference clunking is less still there though. I'm assuming it's just how these cars are from what I read. It's definitely a huge improvement though.
Cool, I am not going to worry about it then, I just put in a "new" driveshaft that I got from @Ctarb1 and it is better than my previous unit which made a definite "dry" squeak noise when load/unloading

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.