Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just talking to someone about my 2st round of mods and thy suggested a flex fuel kit and e85. Are there any downsides to running on corn?

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
too many variables to answer this question.

how close is a E85 station to you
what fuel system mods are you planning
how much do you drive the car
etc....

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Makes me want a shot of shine everytime I pull into my garage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the list I have so far is relatively safe and don’t think it will hurt the car long term. Originally I was shooting for about 550 at the rear wheel, but only if it’s low or no risk to the longevity of the motor and drive train.
So far my plan was
- 4” CAI - 160 Degree Thermostat
- Metco 2.50" Supercharger Pulley
- Metco Solid Isolator Coupler
- Injector Dynamics ID1050 Injectors
- 8-Rib Supercharger Belt
- NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
I wasn’t considering flex fuel but someone suggested it to me yesterday. I live about 3-4 miles from a place that sells it. I think the list I have so far is relatively safe and don’t think it will hurt the car long term, I just don’t know about E85. So far the only thing I have been told is not to store the car with it because it’s corrosive on the injectors. Is that correct, anything else I should worry about. Is it safe with a car that has cats? I am hesitate to remove them, I live in NY and they frown upon removing them.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
I have had a flex fuel kit on my last 2 V's and daily drive them. they run better on E85, throttle response is more crisp. E85 is cheaper than 93, but you use more of it. looks like you would have to blend way down on that setup and probably run 30-40 percent E, so you would have to do some math at the gas station when filling up.

it was the 1st mod I did on my V3 and am very happy with the way it runs even on as little as 30 percent E.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
You should use heat range 7 plugs. I would make sure your cooling is taken care of first, I don't see any cooling mods listed also if it were me I would save the time and money on the 160 stat.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have had a flex fuel kit on my last 2 V's and daily drive them. they run better on E85, throttle response is more crisp. E85 is cheaper than 93, but you use more of it. looks like you would have to blend way down on that setup and probably run 30-40 percent E, so you would have to do some math at the gas station when filling up.

it was the 1st mod I did on my V3 and am very happy with the way it runs even on as little as 30 percent E.
What is missing that would make it unsafe for him to run pure 80-85?

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
You should use heat range 7 plugs. I would make sure your cooling is taken care of first, I don't see any cooling mods listed also if it were me I would save the time and money on the 160 stat.

this

get a under hood tank and pump at least.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
And also a catch can is a must on these cars.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Every car I have seen with an Upper pulley and e85 was fine to run full e85 on the stock fuel setup, but literally any more than that and you will need an aux pump. I had 2 buddies just mod their cars. 1 did upper e85 setup and made 610 or 620 and was fine to run e85 and the other did upper e85 with headers and could not run full e85, had to limit him to about E60

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah it sucks. You can see the progression of my car in my signature, after stage 2 I went with a Boost-A-Pump and regret doing it. It worked but it is only a temporary solution. Just save the $$ and do it right the first time and save yourself all the headaches.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
Every car I have seen with an Upper pulley and e85 was fine to run full e85 on the stock fuel setup, but literally any more than that and you will need an aux pump. I had 2 buddies just mod their cars. 1 did upper e85 setup and made 610 or 620 and was fine to run e85 and the other did upper e85 with headers and could not run full e85, had to limit him to about E60
it really depends on weather as to how much you can run with just a pulley. here, when the DA is -3000 in the winter, you wouldn't want to run full E85.

the people who are running on a stock pump and no aux pump will need to figure out their max E content on their own based on atmospherics. you cant just make a blanket statement that person X can run Full E85 with just a pulley and then Person Y runs it and blows their motor because it went lean.

a person needs to know what the duty cycle is, fuel pressure is, and E content is to be able to figure that out and run a safe margin for error.

·
Registered
302 Posts
it really depends on weather as to how much you can run with just a pulley. here, when the DA is -3000 in the winter, you wouldn't want to run full E85.

the people who are running on a stock pump and no aux pump will need to figure out their max E content on their own based on atmospherics. you cant just make a blanket statement that person X can run Full E85 with just a pulley and then Person Y runs it and blows their motor because it went lean.

a person needs to know what the duty cycle is, fuel pressure is, and E content is to be able to figure that out and run a safe margin for error.
This is very true also. I always forget to take atmospheric conditions into account. It would be best to know where your car is at in regards to its IDC, FP, and E% as @Evil_V said. Not every car is the same and not everyone's atmospheric conditions are the same.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
unless your fuel system is totally upgraded with an aux pump or a new fuel system, theres always going to be math to do on it.

·
Vendor
12,884 Posts
Considering we are at sea level and basically living in the correction factor I have found 2.55 upper with 1000cc injectors and stock pumps will usually cover E70. Some cars with weaker pumps I will suggest E60 based upon rail pressure during tuning.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
Considering we are at sea level and basically living in the correction factor I have found 2.55 upper with 1000cc injectors and stock pumps will usually cover E70. Some cars with weaker pumps I will suggest E60 based upon rail pressure during tuning.

then at -3000 it would probably bat at 40-45?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts