Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
9 Second Club
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving in some good rain yesterday on the highway with some fairly worn "normal" street tires (285 Kumho Ecsta) and felt fine, I get some new Nitto NT05R drag radials installed today (305/35-19) and they sure aren't confidence inspiring and a little scary.

I had read that MT were terrible but someone said they drove in some rain with the Nittos and they were fine, well I don't know what to say other than it must have been sprinkling? :confused:

I had a good rain going (not torrential down pour) but a good normal rain and when I tried to accelerate pretty light on the throttle I could feel the rear swaying around getting loose. I got on to a highway and was running about 60 and felt it shimmy a little again so slowed it down to 50 and was very easy on the throttle just cruising.

Fortunately I had passed a local duck pond, so I stopped real quick and plucked a few feathers and was controlling the throttle with those because even when not using a lead food and just one made of mahogany I was a little nervous. After it quit raining hard and started sprinkling with the road wet still it wasn't quite as bad but when it was actually raining fat drops of rain I really didn't want to be driving down the road or highway with those tires on the rear.

Just figured I would give my experience. And if it means anything, the tires have 30psi in them.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
don't they basically have no tread pattern?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i must live in a vastly different part of the world than you guys. I drive on the hwy and in the streets. my office if not at the other end of the drag strip ;)

hence why I could never put on 5" tires in the front. I got ramps to negotiate!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I've driven in rain, snow, and a flood with NT05R, drop the pressure in them and they will be just fine. Just don't expect to go blasting through a corner at 80mph.

·
Super Moderator
16,473 Posts
I don't think the claim was any drag radial is anyway a replacement for a street tire. I would say they are tolerable in moderate rain being cautious. Come up on a large puddle and I would say hydroplane is probable. The sway you feel is the same dry, lack of sidewall and the 305 on a 9.5 tends to wiggle. But at 650+rwhp, street tires suck ass. Nto5r hook great on the street and I love them. But I already don't drive in the rain.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
my drag radials suck in the snow- what am I doing wrong guys?
ROFL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
LMFAO. Expecting a drag radial to function well in water

·
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
1,411 Posts

·
9 Second Club
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think the claim was any drag radial is anyway a replacement for a street tire. I would say they are tolerable in moderate rain being cautious. Come up on a large puddle and I would say hydroplane is probable. The sway you feel is the same dry, lack of sidewall and the 305 on a 9.5 tends to wiggle. But at 650+rwhp, street tires suck ass. Nto5r hook great on the street and I love them. But I already don't drive in the rain.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
No, this isn't sway from a drag radial ran at low pressure type thing, this was from the rain (more than a drizzle). I drove around earlier in the day in the dry and it felt like a normal tire, it started raining later in the day when I was out and that is when I experienced all this. When the road was just wet and light rain it was ok but any more than that is when it got sketchy, have to be real easy on the throttle and almost just let the car coast along. I have driven on MT drag radials on my E55 just not in rain so today with the Nitto drag radials on the V it was a new experience.

LMFAO. Expecting a drag radial to function well in water
No, that is not what was expected at all. Just found it odd that someone else said they drove in rain with these same tires and it was fine when I immediately felt the car dance around while even being easy on the gas when there was a decent rain coming down.

I've driven in rain, snow, and a flood with NT05R, drop the pressure in them and they will be just fine. Just don't expect to go blasting through a corner at 80mph.
I figured I would run them at 30psi driving around for normal daily stuff since the car is heavy and then lower pressure when needed.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
NT05r i think are great if you're under 650whp. But 700+ i think you wont get a good 60ft and you REALLY need to get them hot. On the street, you so much spit on the road it over, zero traction. So if it just rained on the road, just make it a cruise day not a race day.

·
Premium Member
17,292 Posts
NT05r i think are great if you're under 650whp. But 700+ i think you wont get a good 60ft and you REALLY need to get them hot. On the street, you so much spit on the road it over, zero traction. So if it just rained on the road, just make it a cruise day not a race day.
Wow...I was considering the NT05R but now I'm thinking of just going with a spare set of wheels and the MT ET Street II.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

This has been by far my best 60ft. I break lose quick if I launch any harder. On the street I'm comfortable on 3rd gear. Maybe 2nd if no rain present for a few days and with a good sunshine and hot street.

But I've been impressed with Tread life. So I'm pleased so far.

·
Super Moderator
16,473 Posts
Just installed 305/35/19 mt's on stock rears after 6000+ miles on nto5r 305/35/19s..... The sidewall feels better in the Mickey. I will continue the comparison over the next few weeks.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408132757.685847.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408132765.256180.jpg
The nittos were hooking great on the street but they were full slicks and the cords were getting close.

Just got back from a full heat soak and now jacked up cooling overnight ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408133088.505542.jpg

The Mickey fits the sedan rim better than the nitto, about an inch narrower and much less sidewall bulge. Contact patch is pretty full. But the Mickey is a half inch taller. No codes thrown yet.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Looking forward to seeing them at the Dream Cruise today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 44 Posts