Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue with the tranny not dropping down in a proper gear when hitting the full throttle to pass or just to go fast. What actually tells the tranny to downshift and you think i can make it drop into a lower gear. Seems to bog down sometimes and start dropping down gears while im full throttle.

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
Having an issue with the tranny not dropping down in a proper gear when hitting the full throttle to pass or just to go fast. What actually tells the tranny to downshift and you think i can make it drop into a lower gear. Seems to bog down sometimes and start dropping down gears while im full throttle.
I have an M6 but my understanding is you don't want the transmission to do that anyway - you want to force the shift via the paddle shifters.

Modded cars can have "longevity " issues when asking the transmission to downshift under full throttle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
You don’t want to do hard automatic down shifts from 5th or 6th. Big no no as the 4/5/6 is the weak link in the 6L90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
You don’t want to do hard automatic down shifts from 5th or 6th. Big no no as the 4/5/6 is the weak link in the 6L90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

But to answer the question it's the part throttle shift speed table. In there you can make it hold a gear longer and make it drop a gear faster.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess i need to learn to drop gears with the padel before i hit it. Im use to stabbing it and letting the tranny drop to the gear of choice. My new tune is probably saving the hard downshifts by design in order to save my tranny.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I guess i need to learn to drop gears with the padel before i hit it. Im use to stabbing it and letting the tranny drop to the gear of choice. My new tune is probably saving the hard downshifts by design in order to save my tranny.
Wouldn't count on it. Even in stock form you can break shit. And that tune is conservative.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
if you can find the old blucat spreadsheet where you can adjust some of these things with a little more preciseness. you can set it where it takes more or less throttle to downshift and it calculates the tables for you. but as said, you really never want to make a 5th or 6th gear full power downshift as it can cause bad things.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you can find the old blucat spreadsheet where you can adjust some of these things with a little more preciseness. you can set it where it takes more or less throttle to downshift and it calculates the tables for you. but as said, you really never want to make a 5th or 6th gear full power downshift as it can cause bad things.
This is good to know...I've been on this thing hard with downshifting. I thought these trannys were solid as rocks and you wouldn't have to worry about downshifting from 6th on WOT.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
This is good to know...I've been on this thing hard with downshifting. I thought these trannys were solid as rocks and you wouldn't have to worry about downshifting from 6th on WOT.
as long as it was tuned by a person that knows what they are doing, and you aren't making full power downshifts, they are really solid transmissions.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Question related to this thread. Once I get my E85/2.55 pulley installed is it a no no to use the throttle to down shift one gear at a time? That is to say, if I'm cruising in 6th can I use the throttle to down shift to 5th, a little more to get to 4th and then 100% throttle to get to 3rd. This is how I drive the car now, I rarely stab it in 6th even in relatively stock form.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
part throttle downshifts a gear down shouldn't be an issue unless you are making big power, and the person who tuned it didn't turn downshift tq management off. I used to do that and roll into it when it dropped that gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts