Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So had a scare where I thought I blew my diff. Turns out I just broke an axle but it reminded me that I probably should get a diff cooler. Especially since the D3 diffuser I have is probably blocking a good bit of air flow over the diff that normally aids in its cooling.

I want to build a custom one rather than just buying the WeaponX one, even though it looks legit AF.

My vision for this is to mount a low profile trans or power steering cooler (or 2 in series) for direct airflow, under the car, with a thermostat controlled oil valve directing the diff fuild to the radiators after it reaches its operating temp.

The oil thermostat I've selected will enable a gradual warming/cooling of the fuild rather than a pump kicking on and shocking the gears with "cold" oil that was sitting in the radiator and hoses by allowing some oil to flow through to the radiators which might slow oil warm up a little, but allows all the oil to reach operating temp together so when the thermostat fully opens all the oil is the same temp.

I think this will be easier on the gears and more fail-proof than an electronic temp sensor starting the pump or cooling fan. Also less electronics the better, the pump i will use is very high quality but don't want a couple thousand dollar diff relying on a cheap electric fan.

My questions for you all are:
1) Anyone know what size & thread pitch the diff drain and fill bolts are?
2) What is the optimum operating temp for the diff fuild?
3) Anyone already give this a try?

After searching the forums, all the ones I've seen so far have either cut into the trunk or utilized radiators with fans and thats not what I'm going for.

Any info will help and I will share what I come up with if, if this works out, so we can all benefit from it.

Thanks,
Instagram.com/vetmotors

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Might want to PM jb_bgg as he designed the best solution I’ve seen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts