Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I vote clean start as well. You are playing with failure, and when it fails it is always in a very inconvenient place.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
See what money you can get from the powder coater and move on with new brakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just rebuilt a set off a Corvette. I can assure you the bore looked absolutely nothing like that. They definitely sand blasted them. The bores should have a machine finish of around 32 Ra. I doubt you would even be able to hone those out to make them smooth enough.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
They are toast. Whatever arrangement you can make with the coater, take it and run. There was a guy on here (edit) that redid calipers for folks that had all the correct hardware to plug and seal the bores and banjo fittings so they could be refinished properly. His work was flawless, don't know if he is still around?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hmm. Interesting thoughts here.

As a former brake designer…

Yes seals seal the bore…not the piston to bore clearance. That ish could be .0001” on the diameter and pressurized fluid would still get out. That said, a wallowed out bore could allow for piston cocking and resulting leaks.

Many brakes have a boot or a wiper seal that is to keep the piston clean as it travels in and out. Those would still have a high pressure seal doing the real work underneath.

The critical surface is the diameter located in the seal groove. It is that wall that seals the seal OD and then the piston seals the seal ID. It would have been hard for them to directly blast those faces, but they definitely got hit indirectly while the bore itself was blasted. Should have been taped up for sure.

Are all the calipers they touched leaking? And how did the pistons look?
Funny thing about it is so far the rear calipers arent leaking, just the fronts. Id have to pull the rears to confirm they are in as bad of shape, but id assume they arent far off. Maybe just not leaking due to less pressure being handled by the rears? Either way I will be asking for a full set as I dont want any issues in the future. All the pistons loo great too. I did make a post on a powdercoating facebook group, and it was suggested they werent necessarily damaged by blasting but left in an acid bath for far too long. I found out I had covid shortly after i made the original post, so I will be making my way to the shop for a conversation soon. Will update....hoping this wont be a long drawn out process.

·
Administrator
21,977 Posts
I believe you are correct on both accounts. His throne was a $2500 Toto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts