Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have practiced this on guitars for a while, and decided to try it on some, to the metal deep rock chips. Mind you this is a black metallic color, so there is no way to get it invisible, but you can get damn close.

1) First step is getting some custom color matched paint. I got mine of Amazon, and its pretty close.
2) Clean out the chip with rubbing alcohol.
3) Very carefully drop paint in the hole ( per the unfinished pick ) and make sure the drop is slightly higher than surrounding areas.
4) Wet sand with thin strips of 2400, and 8000 grit sand paper. I cut them in 1/8" x 4" strips and then press with a finger tip, and pull the strip end to end. It becomes a micro belt sander. If you need to, you can mask the surround area to make sure you only sand the drop.
5) Mirror glaze high cut followed by ultra fine cut, just rubbed in with your fingers.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have practiced this on guitars for a while, and decided to try it on some, to the metal deep rock chips. Mind you this is a black metallic color, so there is no way to get it invisible, but you can get damn close.

1) First step is getting some custom color matched paint. I got mine of Amazon, and its pretty close.
2) Clean out the chip with rubbing alcohol.
3) Very carefully drop paint in the hole ( per the unfinished pick ) and make sure the drop is slightly higher than surrounding areas.
4) Wet sand with thin strips of 2400, and 8000 grit sand paper. I cut them in 1/8" x 4" strips and then press with a finger tip, and pull the strip end to end. It becomes a micro belt sander. If you need to, you can mask the surround area to make sure you only sand the drop.
5) Mirror glaze high cut followed by ultra fine cut, just rubbed in with your fingers.
Great info!

Btw, how are you liking your RS7?? That, and the V3 would be the only two I’d consider If I got rid of my V2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info!

Btw, how are you liking your RS7?? That, and the V3 would be the only two I’d consider If I got rid of my V2.

So far its been a stable love affair!

·
Registered
54 Posts
That’s exactly how I imagine it lol, that’s an amazing car.

As for your technique on the rock chip, I’ll be trying that next with a couple of rock chips I have on the hood. I had filled some in before but did not sand it down, cause I was afraid to take any sort of sand paper to the car paint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you tried this on a vertical surface like a door scratch? I have about a 1/4 in scratch I'm looking to repair on a black raven door

1 - 5 of 5 Posts