Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New to the forum. I picked up a White 2018 V back in May. (Carbon Package, Black Wheels, Red Brakes, No Sunroof, 33K miles.) The car is a monster, but everyone knows that part :) This summer I've scheduled a couple events for myself and the car:

*HPDE at Summit Point in WV
*Airstrip Attack 1/2 Mile in Marion, Indiana

I've been looking around the forum for a bit and I've seen some scattered recommendations between the different generations of cars as to how to prep the car for the track (lots of posts from the Gen 2 guys). And then the owner's manual has little to say about it. (Swap the 5W-30 to 5W-40 and that's it??) Of course the two events are very different from each other, so I'd imagine me treating the car differently as well. What are a list of parts/fluids I should plan on bringing to both events? Stuff like a supercharger belt, etc. Someone said bring spare IAT sensors as well?

Does anyone actually change the oil from 5W-30 to 5W-40 for sustained lapping on circuit track days? Or is this Cadillac being careful? I'm not opposed to doing it, I just want to know what the community does.

For the half mile event, am I better off letting the car cool off a bit between runs? Or is it best to keep it hot and keep the fluids flowing and then just shut it down for the day when I decide I'm done?

The car is getting a clear bra applied and enamel coated as well - hopefully that'll minimize things like rock chips, etc.

TL;DR

What spare parts should I bring to a track day?
5W30 or 5W40 for circuit tracks?
Let the car cool off between half mile runs or keep it hot and shut it down when I'm done for the day?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just did the oil change. It's a cheap thing to do for peace of mind. Also make sure to swap your brake fluid for racing fluid. If you are driving anywhere near the limit on a road course, you will boil the OEM brake fluid and lose all braking...not a good feeling when braking into a turn (from personal experience). I recommend Castrol SRF for as close to OEM maintenance schedule as possible. Other racing brake fluid will probably need to be swapped back to standard after each session.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
516 Posts
Use 5W-30 at the track. Use 5W-30 all the time. It's a better oil. I posted someone else's writeup in here about it. 5W-40 provides less protection at the edges of performance (at startup & when racing). 5W-40 is a gimmick to use thinner oil and thus extend gas mileage.

Reactions: suprahero

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
516 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
516 Posts
Reactions: suprahero

·
Premium Member
2011 CTS-V Coupe with a blue wrap. Cam, smaller pulley, larger injectors, methanol injection.
328 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I don't know what's in my car now but I know what I'll be putting in there in the next couple days.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
You Must use a better brake fluid. I would also get better pads,. Remover it's not how fast you go it's how fast you can get it to stop.

What hpde group are you runing with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You Must use a better brake fluid. I would also get better pads,. Remover it's not how fast you go it's how fast you can get it to stop.

What hpde group are you runing with?
I'm in the first-timer run group. Frankly I don't think the V will be anywhere near its own limits the duration of the day, I just want to be careful and make sure I'm doing the right thing by the vehicle. I'll likely hit my own limit long before the car:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
What is the track day event host ? Remember - understanding and getting good at the basics is a must. Straight line braking, turn in, apex, track out. Master them. Forget what other people are doing and concentrate on yourself and practice your skills. If anyone mentions time(s) - RUN! It's a rabbit hole and offers ZERO benefit. Read up on Ross Bentley's advice for newbies. www.speedsecrets.com. God stuff in there.

Remember you are at a track day and not racing. HPDE's have many people that THINK they are racing and its counter to what the mission statement of HPDE's are. That's another story for another time.

Good luck and post your results.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Spent some time on their page, seems like a decent group. A few items stand out. No one in the organization has much W2W experience other than doing track days. (Keep in mind this is a great way to develop and reinforce bad habits.) They give out awards to their instructors from within the organization. No mention of ANY instructor training or association with MSF. Not saying that it is bad, according to their Instructor requirements the instructors must have a minimum of 30 track days with other requirements that I feel were not up to the level of other clubs. (PCA, BMW, Audi). The literature for run groups is good.

Get an instructor that communicates well and one you mesh with. DO NOT BE AFRAID to ask for another instructor if the assigned instructor is not a fit. It's ok to do so if you feel your not getting what you want out of the organization. Beware of any instructor that talks ragtime about his track conquests

You will have a lot to absorb in one day at the track as a neewb and you must not be concerned with the other cars unless passing. Your first pass you will feel like you just fucked the hottest chick on the planet. Get it out of the way as soon as possible. D0 not be concerned with getting passed. You have a big HEAVY car- remember that. Brakes will fade and fade fast.

read this: Driving Tips | Speed Secrets

Good luck and welcome to the best drug on the planet, spending a day at the track.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All!

To follow up on this. I went toSummit Point w/ Auto Interests on Friday and the car performed flawlessly. Only thing I did was change the oil beforehand. Brakes did fade, but it was minimal (10% or less). Went through 1 tank of gas on the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts