Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I watched the last hour of the race. Ryan Newmans crash - I thought he was dead and I am glad he will be ok. Watching them bump and use cars as rams is no bueno in my book. #77 caused a 2 car wreck as he was tapped and then turned into the car on his left causing 2 cars to go off. I would hate to be the keeper of the greens after a NASCAR race.

The crash before that the #17 car dive bombed on the inside and caused a mess. How that type of driving is allowed is beyond me.

These guys are inches apart at 200 miles per hour, what could go wrong. No way would I get in that ring.

Can someone explain stage 1,2 overtime and the flags? I am lost when is comes to NASCAR rules.

Hamlin is a great tactician and driver, congrats on the win. Toyota beating the Fords and Chevy's gotta love it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The pushing is a derivative of "rubbing is racing".

Overtime racing is pretty simple...just going to be sure that race is not finished under yellow flag. You have to have 2 good laps at speed.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
In my world if you have to wreck him to beat him you don't deserve the win. The amount of contact I was seeing was downright terrifying. At those speeds, with that amount of traffic, I am surprised there are not more injuries after the crashes. Newman took a full broadside at 180 mph and into the air, barrel rolled and was on fire. Testament to the build quality of the product.

His crash was caused by the tap from behind, period. The announcer called the crash just like a pass, no biggie all part of the show.

Thanks for the update on the rules. I did enjoy the last lap sans crash. Watching them draft was a sight to behold and you don't get any feeling of speed on TV. I am in awe of those tubs and the speeds that they do and how close they race each other.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
NASCAR racing is very different from the other types....that is why they all exist. They have their own appeal.

I miss the NASCAR when they ran cars that you could buy...just slightly modified.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hi Blades,

Not knocking the series, all of the crashes were a result of 'bump drafting.' The only other series where it is allowed that I know of is Spec Miata. Those cars top out at 125 MPH and have 150 HP.
The guy who hit him was very subdued after the race. I wonder how he would feel today if Newman had sustained serious injuries or god forbid death.
Part of the attraction to the sport I guess.

·
Premium Member
12,474 Posts
you had guys on only 2 tires being very loose and guys who took 4 tires trying to get around them, once they came down low the car basically aims itself into the wall when pushed from behind
everyone tries to block it makes it a sketchy situation for sure

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
I don’t watch much NASCAR anymore, but happened to be at bar yesterday and caught the end.

Newman’s wreck was brutal, that roof Tbone was the worst hit I have ever seen. I figured that he was gone.

I don’t think Blaney wrecked him, I think he was trying to push him for the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Good article on the topic. Yesterday’s wreck reminds us of the danger of the sport and how fragile life is.

It also woke us up since there have been so few deaths in recent years.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Good article and I agree with Ernest. I am truly amazed that there are not more injuries in NASCAR, especially on the faster tracks with the driving styles. Bumping is permitted so there will always be the potential for a wreck. Add in the last 2 laps not under yellow but under racing conditions and it's a powder keg.

I looked up the rules. Each team is permitted 16 chassis, 12 active and 4 inactive. Engines: 8 long block and 8 short block engines (sealed). that is a shit ton of spares and being a paid driver there most likely no consequences if you wreck a car. Especially if you are bringing in a sponsor.

Conclusion - Send it.

·
Premium Member
14,574 Posts
It's like hockey - everyone's in it for the fights. If you made fighting illegal (as an example, changing it from what it is), it would fundamentally change the sport, the action and thus the attraction. Clearly, the sport has evolved around the "Rubbin' is racin'" concept - and people watch for the accidents IMHO. Formula 1 it is not. :D

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
It's like hockey - everyone's in it for the fights. If you made fighting illegal (as an example, changing it from what it is), it would fundamentally change the sport, the action and thus the attraction. Clearly, the sport has evolved around the "Rubbin' is racin'" concept - and people watch for the accidents IMHO. Formula 1 it is not. :D
As an avid hockey fan I disagree. Fighting is down significantly in the sport, primarily due to concerns over concussions, but like football, there is still quite a bit of physicality with checking that is a big part of the game, although rules have been implemented over the years to eliminate blind hits and those to the head.

However I do agree that many people do watch auto racing for the crashes and as the article stated, many began to believe that NASCAR had become too safe.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
People who watch racing for the crashes are people who have never been behind the wheel of a car (or the passenger seat) on a track or dragstrip. Fuck them. The fact that someone would suggest that you can make driving at 200 mph for hours while contacting others cars "too safe" is someone who needs to be taken for a ride in a race car at 2/3 of race pace with no other cars on the track. Then ask them again.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
People who watch racing for the crashes are people who have never been behind the wheel of a car (or the passenger seat) on a track or dragstrip. Fuck them. The fact that someone would suggest that you can make driving at 200 mph for hours while contacting others cars "too safe" is someone who needs to be taken for a ride in a race car at 2/3 of race pace with no other cars on the track. Then ask them again.
Funny that you say that. Auto racing will never be safe, the safety equipment has grown leaps and bounds to make impacts less deadly.

I had a student in my track car a few years ago and took him out for an instructors session. Never went past 6/10ths with him and never would with anyone in the car.He got out and did not speak for a few minutes and I had to ask him if he was alright. He wanted to know what 10/10ths was like (race pace) and I said lots of fun so long as all four wheel are on the tarmac. He then realized how much he had to learn. We all are continually learning on the track.

Watching them last night millimeters from each other at that speed, I am amazed at the level they can drive at. Having raced that track several times on 2 wheels and 4 (Fastest I have gone is 160-165 mph) 200 MPH is a whole new level.

So you are correct in getting people that think it is safe in a car at speed, they would shit their pants.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I had a student in my track car a few years ago and took him out for an instructors session. Never went past 6/10ths with him and never would with anyone in the car.He got out and did not speak for a few minutes and I had to ask him if he was alright.
So you are correct in getting people that think it is safe in a car at speed, they would shit their pants.
This perfectly describes my brother in law. He notoriously drives like an asshole. To the point it is the topic of conversation at family events. He thinks his MB E350 is a E63s with the full suite of Renntech upgrades. So a couple of years ago I take him for a ride in the G8. There is a nice straight piece of road a few miles from my house. I ease into it in second, let it shift to third and start to go WOT. He immediately reaches over and starts hitting my leg. I let out and look over and he's white as a ghost.
We've never talked about it since.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ryan Newman's surviving the crash yesterday is a testament to the construction of the NASCAR cages.

A regular car would have been spilt in 2...at least.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ryan Newman's surviving the crash yesterday is a testament to the construction of the NASCAR cages.

A regular car would have been spilt in 2...at least.
This and all the additional safety equipment... HANS, form fitting seats, etc. VERY lucky to still be alive to talk about it!

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Hi Blades,

I wonder how he would feel today if Newman had sustained serious injuries or god forbid death.
Part of the attraction to the sport I guess.
There was a somber, worried mood after the race last night. I'm sure R. Blaney felt horrible too but I didn't talk to him. As the teams walked out to the planes, we were all concerned and nobody knew his condition. A lot of speculation with comparisons to Dale Earnhardt's wreck 19 years earlier. When we landed, the news came in that he was alive, we were all relieved. I just hope he fully recovers.

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts