Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

621 - 640 of 726 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
It's not pretty - but you can spray it with some black hi temp paint (grill paint) if you're vain.

Mine hasn't cracked yet though. Still uniform.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
talking about thermal coatings i got all mine done heads thermal barrier coating on the valves/chamber and intake/exhaust ports (keep heat in the chamber to make power), and teflon coating on the valve stems to stop wear, thermal coating on the valley cover to stop heat passing into the blower, thermal blower spacers, exhaust ceramic coated, outside of heads thermal dispersant coated to get any heat out of them, engine is built but not fitted yet so hope it all works out

Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #624 ·
talking about thermal coatings i got all mine done heads thermal barrier coating on the valves/chamber and intake/exhaust ports (keep heat in the chamber to make power), and teflon coating on the valve stems to stop wear, thermal coating on the valley cover to stop heat passing into the blower, thermal blower spacers, exhaust ceramic coated, outside of heads thermal dispersant coated to get any heat out of them, engine is built but not fitted yet so hope it all works out
Holy shit, you got it all coated. I like the idea of the valve face coating and piston coating (top and skirts). I originally wanted to do the thermal coating on the piston face, but didn't have the budget for it at the time. I've read that those coatings don't last. Didn't extensively research that claim though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Holy shit, you got it all coated. I like the idea of the valve face coating and piston coating (top and skirts). I originally wanted to do the thermal coating on the piston face, but didn't have the budget for it at the time. I've read that those coatings don't last. Didn't extensively research that claim though.
this company i use over here in Aus is good they do it properly the skirt coatings last a long time they shown a 1500hp+ boosted LS with his coatings on it and even after almost couple hundred quarter passes and the engine letting go the skirts only had few scuffs on them but otherwise was fine, there are some cheaper ways to do it that just dont last, the pistons im using are the JE ultra which have there coatings on them so i didnt have to do that and when u spend a heap on a build may as well just go all out so i got all the heads fully done, should be interesting with the intake ports done should keep the heat out from affecting the intake charge and the exhaust side will stop the heat absorbing into the heads, i also got the inside of the heads done in teflon so any oil will run back super fast as its slick

·
Premium Member
15,930 Posts
Bro... I like your style.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
@Rubber Duck

Quick question for you. Might be a couple actually.

First, do you think I'm ok with running 4 bolt LSA heads. These were ported by Frankenstein Engine Dynamics and have pretty good flow characteristics. They had .030 shaved off the deck in order to bring chamber volume back down, so I'm concerned about the current deck thickness and high power levels.

I have the Dart LSNext block that has the 6 bolt provision for the heads. I was wanting to upgrade to a thicker deck head that uses the 6 bolt head pattern. Now, I don't think I need some extreme head since I'm at my power goal. I just don't want to take steps back in power. I'm currently using LS3/LSA Yella Terra 1:7 shaft roller rockers. The TSP heads are the only head that allow me to keep them. The heads require a different rocker setup. There are better heads out there, but I want to keep the cost below $4K. The M311 would be max budget because I'd have to purchase new rockers and that would bring me close to $4K. The cam going in is 236/246, .627/.615, 115LSA.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The Texas Speed PRC heads:
  • $2,829.99
  • NEW PRC 13-Degree Valve Angle LS3 Castings
  • Improved Piston-to-Valve Clearance For Extra Compression & Larger Camshafts
  • Smaller Than Stock Intake Port Volume For Improved Port Velocity
  • Stainless Steel 2.170" Intake, 1.60" Inconel Exhaust Valves
  • Billet Rocker Pedestals
  • Completely Assembled and Milled to Your Specifications
  • 60-68cc Chambers
  • CHE Bronze Guides
  • 260cc Runners
  • Unknown Deck Thickness
FED M311 Heads
  • $3,250
  • 11° valve angle
  • Solid, stainless 2.165” intake / 1.600” inconel exhaust valves
  • 4.000” minimum bore size
  • Manley Polished Nextek HP Dual 0.660” lift Spring Kit
  • 273cc equivalent
  • FED Billet M311 Rocker Stands can be purchased for an additional fee.
  • CHE Bronze Guides
  • 0.750″ Deck Structure
Been busy JA, so have not been paying much attention to what has been happening.

No, I would not run 4-Bolt heads on your engine.

You have a lot of info within your post, which in turn
raises many questions. But you stated that your at
your power goal, so then I would think you would
desire to increase durability. . . .

Regarding the cylinder heads, JMHO!

No on the Texas Speed Heads.

We don't want to decrease port area when we move into boost.
Flow Benches don't lie to you, but they don't tell you everything.

Flow Benches work @ 28" of water drop / depression.

That might be good if your only worried about 'Mean Flow'.
Lets say meeting 'Mean Flow' will yield 100% cylinder fill.

But most building an engine for race purposes desire
more than 100% cylinder fill. . . Much More!

Now the port must become larger, especially with an
FI Engine, as we attempt to achieve a much higher
cylinder fill, via using the additional piston speed to
draw in more mass charge, as the crankshaft moves
toward the 70° ATDC crank pin position on the intake
cycle.

=======================================

I believe the cylinder head you mentioned => FED M311 Heads
is the same cylinder head that Raymond / Blades
purchased from [email protected] Extreme CFM.

You might want to compare flow numbers..<Big Wink>!

If you have anymore questions, try the @rubberduck again
even though I did not receive an alert last time?

Raymond also has all of my contact info if you want to talk. . . .

Cheers

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I believe the cylinder head you mentioned => FED M311 Heads
is the same cylinder head that Raymond / Blades
purchased from [email protected] Extreme CFM.

You might want to compare flow numbers..<Big Wink>!

If you have anymore questions, try the @rubberduck again
even though I did not receive an alert last time?

Raymond also has all of my contact info if you want to talk. . . .

Cheers
The only problem with [email protected] Xtreme is he can be slow and little uncommunicate. A member here recently asked me about it. But I am VERY happy with the final product.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
The only problem with [email protected] Xtreme is he can be slow and little uncommunicate. A member here recently asked me about it. But I am VERY happy with the final product.
And that’s pretty much the problem across-the-board
amongst good cylinder head Porters.

If they tell you one month, at least double that and you’ll be close… LOL

But when one Porter is porting the same cylinder head as another, and the one Porter gets as much as 90 rear wheel horsepower more than the other… Maybe it’s best to wait…

Does the camshaft have something to do with that;… You bet!

But then we port the cylinder heads first, and quantify them
on the flow bench. . . Before we select a camshaft.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #632 ·
Bit of a snag with the fuel system upgrade. Apparently you need an adaptor for the fuel pressure sensor. It just can't thread over 1/8 NPT 6AN T fitting. There's an O-Ring on there that is needed to seal properly. I ordered the adapter that utilizes the male NPT/O-Ring end of the fuel pressure sensor and then adapts it to basic 1/8 NPT.

Also, I went on an AN EVERYTHING under the engine bay. Vacuum lines coming off the intake manifold are all 4AN and the MAC valve plumbing to the gates is also all 4AN.

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #633 ·
I've decided to wrap my exhaust. Even ceramic coated headers are pretty hot and I'm going for the coolest possible scenario. Anyway, When I pull the heads, the exhaust will come off and get blasted, painted and then wrapped.

Murica.

Reactions: jcs003

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I've decided to wrap my exhaust. Even ceramic coated headers are pretty hot and I'm going for the coolest possible scenario. Anyway, When I pull the heads, the exhaust will come off and get blasted, painted and then wrapped.

Murica.
I thought you were having Swaintech done...or are you going downstream from there.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
@Rubber Duck

Quick question for you. Might be a couple actually.

First, do you think I'm ok with running 4 bolt LSA heads. These were ported by Frankenstein Engine Dynamics and have pretty good flow characteristics. They had .030 shaved off the deck in order to bring chamber volume back down, so I'm concerned about the current deck thickness and high power levels.

I have the Dart LSNext block that has the 6 bolt provision for the heads. I was wanting to upgrade to a thicker deck head that uses the 6 bolt head pattern. Now, I don't think I need some extreme head since I'm at my power goal. I just don't want to take steps back in power. I'm currently using LS3/LSA Yella Terra 1:7 shaft roller rockers. The TSP heads are the only head that allow me to keep them. The heads require a different rocker setup. There are better heads out there, but I want to keep the cost below $4K. The M311 would be max budget because I'd have to purchase new rockers and that would bring me close to $4K. The cam going in is 236/246, .627/.615, 115LSA.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The Texas Speed PRC heads:
  • $2,829.99
  • NEW PRC 13-Degree Valve Angle LS3 Castings
  • Improved Piston-to-Valve Clearance For Extra Compression & Larger Camshafts
  • Smaller Than Stock Intake Port Volume For Improved Port Velocity
  • Stainless Steel 2.170" Intake, 1.60" Inconel Exhaust Valves
  • Billet Rocker Pedestals
  • Completely Assembled and Milled to Your Specifications
  • 60-68cc Chambers
  • CHE Bronze Guides
  • 260cc Runners
  • Unknown Deck Thickness
FED M311 Heads
  • $3,250
  • 11° valve angle
  • Solid, stainless 2.165” intake / 1.600” inconel exhaust valves
  • 4.000” minimum bore size
  • Manley Polished Nextek HP Dual 0.660” lift Spring Kit
  • 273cc equivalent
  • FED Billet M311 Rocker Stands can be purchased for an additional fee.
  • CHE Bronze Guides
  • 0.750″ Deck Structure
Hello JA,
I just read your signature line and realized that you going with twin turbo's.

-you wrote-
The cam going in is 236/246, .627/.615, 115LSA.

Is this your camshaft from your PD Blower engine?
Did someone (who?) spec this camshaft for Turbo's?

Cheers

2014 Sedan - Thompson Motorsports Dart LS Next 427 - Huron Speed Twin T67s - Tial 44mm WGs - Tial 50mm BOV - LS3 Intake - Manley Pro I-Beam Rods - Turbosmart E-Boost Controller - Callies CCW Crank - Diamond Pistons - 10.1:1 CR - FED Stg 2 LSA CNC heads - YT 1:7 RR - LT1Z Turbo Cam - E-85 - DSX Aux - ID1300 - Johnson 2110 Lifters - Borla mufflers

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #636 ·
Hello JA,
I just read your signature line and realized that you going with twin turbo's.

-you wrote-
The cam going in is 236/246, .627/.615, 115LSA.

Is this your camshaft from your PD Blower engine?
Did someone (who?) spec this camshaft for Turbo's?

Cheers

2014 Sedan - Thompson Motorsports Dart LS Next 427 - Huron Speed Twin T67s - Tial 44mm WGs - Tial 50mm BOV - LS3 Intake - Manley Pro I-Beam Rods - Turbosmart E-Boost Controller - Callies CCW Crank - Diamond Pistons - 10.1:1 CR - FED Stg 2 LSA CNC heads - YT 1:7 RR - LT1Z Turbo Cam - E-85 - DSX Aux - ID1300 - Johnson 2110 Lifters - Borla mufflers

Bruce,

I had the cam spec'd by a very respectable vendor. I'll PM you about that. I've had the turbos on the car for several months now with the PD blower can still in there. I've got Brodix BR3 heads on the way to take advantage of the 6 bolt design. They also have a 3/4" deck and are going to have Inconel exhaust valves and CHE guides. I chose these heads because I wanted to retain my LS3/LSA style roller rocker arms. Even though they may be a bit heavy, the Yella Terra RRs are robust and well built. They are a shaft like system as each cylinder has the two rockers tied together on a single shaft. The weight isn't going to hurt me as I won't be twisting past 6,500-6,700. Plus the cam isn't radical and doesn't require crazy strong valve springs.

I was going to go with the FED M311, but they are cast in China. I wanted all American heads made out of good aluminum. The M311 heads also would have ran me $3350 for the valve and guide upgrade and I'd have to buy new rockers or use the stock rockers, which I am not a fan of.

Plus the BR3s are ported by LME.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Bruce,

I had the cam spec'd by a very respectable vendor. I'll PM you about that. I've had the turbos on the car for several months now with the PD blower can still in there. I've got Brodix BR3 heads on the way to take advantage of the 6 bolt design. They also have a 3/4" deck and are going to have Inconel exhaust valves and CHE guides. I chose these heads because I wanted to retain my LS3/LSA style roller rocker arms. Even though they may be a bit heavy, the Yella Terra RRs are robust and well built. They are a shaft like system as each cylinder has the two rockers tied together on a single shaft. The weight isn't going to hurt me as I won't be twisting past 6,500-6,700. Plus the cam isn't radical and doesn't require crazy strong valve springs.

I was going to go with the FED M311, but they are cast in China. I wanted all American heads made out of good aluminum. The M311 heads also would have ran me $3350 for the valve and guide upgrade and I'd have to buy new rockers or use the stock rockers, which I am not a fan of.

Plus the BR3s are ported by LME.
JA,
If you wouldn’t mind, please put up the valve events plus the LSA
for your existing PD blower cam. Then we can compare them together.

Since you and Jesse talk all the time, Jesse has all my contact info.

He can give it all to you and we can speak on the phone, after you
put up the valve event information I asked for regarding your PD cam.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Valve events and lobe design are bit different on the turbo stuff compared to PD. This combo will work well for him ;)
OK, it’s not even close to what I would do for a Turbo, but I’ll leave well enough alone… Bye-Bye!

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
JA,
Please still post up the info on your PD cam for me to compare.
I just want to see it, and I won’t be discussing it!

Thanks,
Bruce

621 - 640 of 726 Posts