Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am a new 2013 CTS V owner and found this community noodling around the internet.
My question and need for your help is that I was given one electronic key and would like to get a second one.
I look in the forums and got some good information and some not so much.
I thought I could buy an e-key and program it from inside the car via the original key and the key insert in the arm rest.
But I have conflicting info that I need to have an automotive locksmith or equivalent use a portable programming device.
What say you CTS V group. Thanks, Christopher

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
There's a procedure for programming a new one yourself. I've done it on my coupe but don't remember all the steps. I do recall having to use the metal key in the trunk lock while having the new fob in the console slot.

My local Ace hardware has the programmer and programs fobs for free. Found that out when mom lost her fob to her Lincoln. Took the guy about 3 minutes.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I've ordered a new e-key and I will give it a go. I bought one off Amazon and it didn't work. They said it had the wrong frequency and they did not have the right one.
Kind of frustrating as I am a locksmith of the "older variety". I used to make keys to automobile locks before air bags and electronics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts