Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Official Site Vendor
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
D3PE PROSPEED Front Mounted Heat Exchanger System

We would like to introduce our newest product for our PROSPEED CTSV series of parts. Using data and technology gained from our ZR1 heat exchanger system program, we have produced one of the highest quality units on the market. Our heat exchanger begins with its core, a genuine Denso motorsport core manufactured in the USA. These are the exact cores currently used for NASCAR radiators as well as used in the TUDOR world championship series. These cores can handle an internal pressure of 80psi, they are also have an extremely tight fin density, which dramatically increases surface area (5 tubes per inch vs most cores on the market at 2.25 tubes per inch, and less with a bar and plate air to air intercooler core), in turn increasing heat rejection. By using this higher end core we are able to run a thinner core (1.00" thick core, 1.50" tank), a thinner core allows a higher air speed through the core, helping even further with heat rejection, and allowing more air to get to the condensor/radiator. Using this thickness to our advantage, we were able to fit the core in front of the crash beam to take advantage of 100% of the grill opening also providing a very nice look to the front end. We are also able to keep the OEM air diverder flaps on the sides intact, this also helps with more airflow to the radiator. Construction of the rest of the heat exchanger is .125 aluminum which is 100% hand tig welded here in the USA. Weight is also reduced in our unit compared to others on the market, this helps prevent premature metal fatigue which can cause broken mounting points and leaking cores. This core can also be used inline with the OEM HX, however we recommend a pump upgrade, as with two cores, you will raise the system pressure and in turn lower fluid flow.

Core brand/country of origin: Denso Motorsport/USA
Core Size: 9.00" tall x 27.50" wide x 1.00" thick
Total unit size: 9.25" tall x 31.00" wide x 1.50" thick
Tubes per inch: 5
Inlet/Outlet size: 3/4" (.750")
Tank construction: .125" 5052 aluminum
Made: Houston, Texas

Retail pricing is $799.99, in stock and ready to ship! Dealer inquirys welcome.

·
Official Site Vendor
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this time we don't plan to offer a black version of the HX

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Tell me about the white air intake piece I see mounted. Looks similar to the 'sideswipe' people are using.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Looks like a nice unit. Any expected ship date for pre-orders? Got a track date coming up soon :)

·
Super Moderator
17,285 Posts
You guys drilling holes in the bumper bar or welding studs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Official Site Vendor
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys drilling holes in the bumper bar or welding studs?

During install it requires drilling 2 holes on the front of the bumper beam with a 1/4" drill bit, all other mounts bolt to existing areas, pretty straight forward install, can be done in the driveway if needed.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
ETA on shipping?

·
Official Site Vendor
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Thank you. Probably going to hold off until after my next road racing event since it is in a few weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Tell me about the white air intake piece I see mounted. Looks similar to the 'sideswipe' people are using. "

I'm interested in this as well...I've been researching creating something similar also utilizing some Vararam pieces to create a true "ram air" system to use in conjunction with the factory air box or any variation.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
"Tell me about the white air intake piece I see mounted. Looks similar to the 'sideswipe' people are using. "

I'm interested in this as well...I've been researching creating something similar also utilizing some Vararam pieces to create a true "ram air" system to use in conjunction with the factory air box or any variation.
Yes, it does look like they copied my idea.

·
Registered
405 Posts

The Sideswipe is a flat piece of plastic that channels the air toward the filter.

The D3PE piece funnels the air to the filter while minimizing the air escaping through paths of least resistance.

I don't see it as a copy. It's a definite improvement in design and function over the Sideswipe.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The Sideswipe is a flat piece of plastic that channels the air toward the filter.

The D3PE piece funnels the air to the filter while minimizing the air escaping through paths of least resistance.

I don't see it as a copy. It's a definite improvement in design and function over the Sideswipe.
Yet to be proven... There is no data to show to substantiate your statement.

SS1LE02 has data logged with and without his sideswipe and has proven his design works and works well. Several other member use it as well with great results... Also data logged.

I agree the D3PE unit "looks" different but you cannot prove that it works better or worse than his design.

Sometimes a simple solution is the best solution... The sideswipe is simple, clean, easy to install and efficient. We will see how well the D3PE unit works if and when it is actually used and logged with real drive time.

I have no affiliation with him whatsoever. I just have his sideswipe and know that it WORKS!

·
Official Site Vendor
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

SS1LE02 has data logged with and without his sideswipe and has proven his design works and works well. Several other member use it as well with great results... Also data logged.

I agree the D3PE unit "looks" different but you cannot prove that it works better or worse than his design.

Sometimes a simple solution is the best solution... The sideswipe is simple, clean, easy to install and efficient. We will see how well the D3PE unit works if and when it is actually used and logged with real drive time.

I have no affiliation with him whatsoever. I just have his sideswipe and know that it WORKS!
Actually, up until someone posted about the side swipe I had never heard of it before. The development of our duct was brought upon by a search result that showed people cutting thier brake duct in half and pointing towards the air box. This removed the brake cooling function of the duct, so we started work on this to allow the same result without loosing the brake duct. I'm almost done with my second revision and we will 3D print it and see how it does.

David Donnals
Owner/Engineer

·
Registered
405 Posts

I am also not affiliated with D3PE. These words are my own opinion.

Notice I didn't quote or reference any data, whether it be dyno numbers or IATs or some other form. I simply pointed out the differences in both designs and what I believe, based on the design and air flow characteristics, which one I think will work best.

Think about the simple concept of a funnel. You ever try filling your engine oil using a surface with a single plane? Most of the oil will not channel and flow into the fill hole on the valve cover because the surface doesn't promote it. Likely, you will have a huge mess because oil will be flowing off the sides of the single plane surface. Sure you'll get some oil in, but you'll likely need more quarts to fill to capacity.

Similar concept for the air flow. If you can focus the air more effectively and prevent air flow escaping, you're gonna get more air to the filter. You could also reference a non-shrouded vs shrouded radiator or air-to-air intercooler design. If you can get and keep more air flowing across the cores, they will be more efficient.

V-locity....I do agree with you that data will tell all. Even though a design in theory "should" work, doesn't mean that it will in application.

There's always gonna be areas to improve, on lets just call it "stuff". If people or companies existed to just leave things "as is" we would not progress as a human race. The first wheel was probably made out of stone and shaped like a fucking triangle, then it was made out of wood, then someone else thought to throw some rubber on it, and now we have sweet ass forged and three-piece "insert your favorite wheel company name here" and all types of tires for any size wheel and driving style/condition. Would you throw some wooden 20s" on your Caddy because they're simple (yes...I know this is a bit extreme) knowing that there are better options or that the design can be improved upon? We need more pioneers willing to design new things, improve on existing deigns, and take risks...not people who sit back and say "oh, something like that already exists so we don't need to do anything"!

David/Evan....Get some data on this stuff (I know you will).

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

Notice I didn't quote or reference any data, whether it be dyno numbers or IATs or some other form. I simply pointed out the differences in both designs and what I believe, based on the design and air flow characteristics, which one I think will work best.

Think about the simple concept of a funnel. You ever try filling your engine oil using a surface with a single plane? Most of the oil will not channel and flow into the fill hole on the valve cover because the surface doesn't promote it. Likely, you will have a huge mess because oil will be flowing off the sides of the single plane surface. Sure you'll get some oil in, but you'll likely need more quarts to fill to capacity.

Similar concept for the air flow. If you can focus the air more effectively and prevent air flow escaping, you're gonna get more air to the filter. You could also reference a non-shrouded vs shrouded radiator or air-to-air intercooler design. If you can get and keep more air flowing across the cores, they will be more efficient.

V-locity....I do agree with you that data will tell all. Even though a design in theory "should" work, doesn't mean that it will in application.

There's always gonna be areas to improve, on lets just call it "stuff". If people or companies existed to just leave things "as is" we would not progress as a human race. The first wheel was probably made out of stone and shaped like a fucking triangle, then it was made out of wood, then someone else thought to throw some rubber on it, and now we have sweet ass forged and three-piece "insert your favorite wheel company name here" and all types of tires for any size wheel and driving style/condition. Would you throw some wooden 20s" on your Caddy because they're simple (yes...I know this is a bit extreme) knowing that there are better options or that the design can be improved upon? We need more pioneers willing to design new things, improve on existing deigns, and take risks...not people who sit back and say "oh, something like that already exists so we don't need to do anything"!

Not saying their product won't work. I was just stating that you said it was "better" and can't prove upon that.

Although yes the air can use SOME direction you also can't direct only to a small area of the filter. Ideally you would want to cool the entire area around the filter because air is being pulled in from all directions and not just a small patch where you specifically direct air to.

I do appreciate their ingenuity that they putting into the V for is and look forward to their results. They do have the availability of expensive equipment to prototype designs and bring them to life with minimal cost before production of something that may/may not work. And they can always redesign and re-print. CAD design and 3D printing are awesome technologies.

**Hint hint... I would really like to see some block off plates made to block off the air filter area from engine bay heat. I have a New Era intake which takes advantage of the cool air coming from the lower bumper but would like another option to appear like a stock airbox in that corner without having to to cut up my factory box. As well as some block off plates to block the heat from the radiator area to lower bumper area where filter is.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Next time I will ensure I state that my opinion is not based on test data (since test data doesn't exist......YET!).

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

Yet, you seem to be on a first name basis with them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts