Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

D3PE Presents: Malone Racing Compound Boost ZR1

5K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Icemanthrilla 
#1 ·

Thank you Morris, of Malone Racing, for choosing D3 Performance Engineering for your ZR1 Corvette build. His ZR1 was shipped to us with an LSX engine upgrade along with a complete nitrous plate system for which he was looking to remove and add some more power without having to refill nitrous bottles all the time. The decision was quickly made to build a compound boost setup to decrease spool up times with the factory supercharger while adding the top end power from the turbo. Our fab department engineered and fabricated a rear mount system using a Precision ProMod 88 billet turbocharger, placing the turbo in the rear of the vehicle but keeping centered to evenly distribute weight in the rear. Boost control was done with a pair of Tial wastegates with matching Tial blow off valves in the front. All hot side was handcrafted out of aircraft grade stainless steel while all the cold side from high grade aluminum.

This turbo system is completely designed with no additional intercooler system aside from the factory bricks, modified by D3PE, and a D3PE ZR1 HX System with an added ice tank used for long pulls during top speed events. We also upgraded the engine cooling system by adding our direct bolt on PWM Dual Spal Fan Shroud kit.

We upgraded the fuel system to a Fore Innovations Level 4, E85 compliant, triple Ti 267 pump setup matched with Injector Dynamics 2000cc injectors to handle the new horsepower while running Ignite E98. We also upgraded the clutch to a RPS quad carbon with Tilton adjustable slave and Tick adjustable master.

To complete the build, we added a D3PE ZR1 ProEFI package to help protect the engine as well as put the power to the ground. The standard package was installed along with a back pressure sensor (used to actively make fueling changes based on back pressure), flex fuel sensor, I-boost for on the fly map selecting, and boost control. The package also comes standard with traction control, launch control, and rolling antilag.

On our dyno this setup made 1425whp and 1198wtq at 34 psi making it the highest horsepower ZR1 in the world!

Keep an eye out for Malone Racing at all of the half mile events!

See less See more
#4 ·
Mother of god that is sick, I looked at this car when it was for sale with like a 400 shot on it, then the guy decided to keep it and do this I read later in the for sale post. Pretty insane.

P.S. Hurry up with your Gen V Viper ProCharger setup, want to see that finished.

#7 ·
I was wondering how long it would take to see compound setups... with an 88mm no less haha. AWESOME.

#9 ·
My thoughts exactly.

OP, what were the IAT2's on the dyno?

#13 ·
Awesome build, very clean & professional!

#17 ·
Sorry bro...gotta laugh a bit. Yes - I will admit I haven't built that many compound boost cars. My only experience is with nuclear propulsion systems on US submarines. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the same principles probably apply.

If it's a dumb question and I offended anyone, truly sorry. I won't muddy up the waters with any actual science going forward.

#20 ·
We are only using the intercoolers in the supercharger with our HX system.

#23 · (Edited)
On their thread on the corvette forum the owner posted this yesterday:
Was doing some test hits and checking everything out yesterday on the new tire and after a few back to back pulls with just water in the system no ice the highest it saw was 135. I haven't iced down the 10 gallon system we have in the car yet to see how much it affects the temps but once I do I will report back.
I also saw a post about pre-TB and post SC boost numbers but I can't find them anywhere. I'm watching the build on instagram, facebook, here, corvette forum and I bug all of them via chat all the time too :p
The dyno was at 35psi from what I read but I'll let the guys answer all your questions, they know better than I do, I'm just an HP stalker :D

EDIT - owner also posted this
As far as boost the car is on a 2.35 upper pulley and stock diameter lower. I would suspect it would be about 10 lbs on my heads and can and header set up if it was just blower ( would be 15-16 on a stock head cam car). Turbo is putting out 23/24 lbs and it's making about 36 manifold pressure post rotor

Read more: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...acing-s-compound-boost-zr1.html#ixzz3oSp5p3i9

#24 ·
#26 · (Edited)
damn this is a crazy build.

Volvo now has a supercharged/turbo 4 banger out on many production cars. Compound boosting is kind of unusual but I think it's cool as hell.

Wish I had 120k sitting around right about now. Lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.