Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on this for a local guy. He wants a parachute and a sheet metal drag style wing. I'm going to make it happen.

I'm still building the wing in my mind over and over every night while I'm trying to fall asleep. So parachute first.

The first cut is the most nerve racking. I think I measured 4 times before easing that hole saw through the bumper cover. There is some sensor right above the hole I made, so I was careful to miss it.

It was at this moment, the owner knew he fu#### up. Actually he's really happy with it, but it became reality when that hole went in there.

Trigger warning. I cut the bumper bar. With my best engineering judgement, this bumper bar with the 3/16 plate has a better area moment of inertia and modulus of elasticity than a piece of 1 3/4" chromoly. In less nerdy terms. It's stronger, less bendy.

I've got plenty more work left to finish it all up, but all the heavy lifting is done.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice work!

What type of hole saw (carbide tipped?) did you use to drill through the bumper bar? Or did you use a plasma cutter?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work!

What type of hole saw (carbide tipped?) did you use to drill through the bumper bar? Or did you use a plasma cutter?
I just used a regular bi-metal hole saw. I think it was a lenox. But, I had the bumper bar rigidly clamped in a mill. I tried cutting it by hand and it just wouldn't hardly cut. Probably because I just can't hold the drill steady enough. But with everything rigid and extremely slow speed (80rpm) it cut through pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's pretty much exactly what he wants. He texted me those exact pictures asking me if I could build that on his car.

·
Registered
996 Posts
That looks awesome! I would be scared as hell to drill through my bumper lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks awesome! I would be scared as hell to drill through my bumper lol.

He’s not drilling through HIS bumper

Correct. I couldn't do this to my car. I can't even bring myself to drill holes in the frame rail to mount an aux fuel pump kit. Other than two holes for my sideswipe, I won't drill holes in my car. My GN was like swiss cheese in some places (from previous owners) and it always bugged me.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Correct. I couldn't do this to my car. I can't even bring myself to drill holes in the frame rail to mount an aux fuel pump kit. Other than two holes for my sideswipe, I won't drill holes in my car. My GN was like swiss cheese in some places (from previous owners) and it always bugged me.
I get it. I hate drilling into anything. Took me weeks to drill into my gas tank for my aux kit.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Interesting that he has a chute now, with stock exhaust ends.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finished up the chute Sunday and he came and got the car. He wanted to go to a CTSV & TBSS event at Beech Bend Saturday. Then it's coming back for the wing.

I wasn't completely happy with the lever mounting, there just isn't a good spot to put it. Typically you would mount this to the main hoop on the roll bar or cage, but there's no cage in this car. The issue is you can't move the passenger seat too far forward.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That’s a very neat setup. I like that handle mount.

Out of curiosity, is bracing it to the bumper all that’s needed? In cars like mine they go back to the chassis rails.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks real clean; awesome work for modifying a universal kit to look that good. One question - if he wanted to run around without the chute now will he have that tube just sticking out the rear bumper all of the time?

Looks a bit like something out of James Bond lol.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That’s a very neat setup. I like that handle mount.

Out of curiosity, is bracing it to the bumper all that’s needed? In cars like mine they go back to the chassis rails.
Some bracing tying back into the frame rails would be ideal, but not practical in a car that's still 90% factory with all the backup sensors, wiring and trunk structure. With only one Stroud 420 chute and a car that will struggle to break 140 mph, this is enough support. If he starts running high 1xx mph, then it might need more brace. The stock bumper bar is better than the piece of 1 3/4" DOM that's normally used with this "universal kit". I did suggest he pull the air bag fuse before he pulls the chute the first time. I don't think it will hit too hard when it blooms, but it would sure suck for it to hit hard enough to set of the air bag sensor.

Looks real clean; awesome work for modifying a universal kit to look that good. One question - if he wanted to run around without the chute now will he have that tube just sticking out the rear bumper all of the time?

Looks a bit like something out of James Bond lol.
Yes, it can all be removed and only that stub hangs out of the bumper.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Onto the wing:

I measured and double and triple checked measurements on the car for the wing. I layed it all out in autocad and then sent it to the local metals shop to have the patterns laser cut in 16 gauge aluminum. I picked them up today and just quickly mocked them up to check the fit on the trunk lid and around the tail lights. There is still lots of bending and drilling, but this is a good start. The jagged tabs on edges get bent down to attach the spill plates and wickerbill.

And since the third brake light has to go, this is a filler panel that will bolt into place to cover the holes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great work! Most people don't put that much attention to detail on chutes and wings.... I really hope you at least semi-daily that car just to throw people off in traffic!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts