Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
After opening up two of these diffs, finding and replacing bearings and seals and trying to salvage a worn set of gears, the juice is not worth the squeeze. In my opinion the gear noise comes from lack of oil to the input and carrier bearings. The bearings eventually overheat expand and ruin the mesh between the ring and the gear pinion. The small shift results in play between the ring and pinion and ultimately a non-ideal contact patch. The gears wear on each other with time and eventually render them completely damaged.

The new diff unit that I received from GM was extremely tight on the backlash. I couldn't measure any on it at all. So any slop is going to make it whine. If you wanted to rebuild your diff, you would have to catch it as soon as it happened and pull it before damage to the gears occur. The other difficult thing is that you can't tell if it will whine until it is under load. So after rebuilding two of these things and doing my best at mating the gears with different shims the thing still whined. Essentially 10 man hours of my labor wasted as well as all of the money on bearings.

I contacted a gear company to see if they would be interested in producing the ring and pinion. The engineer replied and said that they would need a run of about 500-700 gear sets to make a profit on a new gear. He said that they were taking a big loss on the late model Camaro's expecting that people would want different gear sets for the drag strip but it has not been the case and they have not been selling. So I definitely do not think that there are 500-700 CTS-V owners willing to break open their diffs.

Sorry for the bad news but your best bet is to get on the waiting list for a new one. They are out there, they just take a long time to get in. Once installed, find some sort of diff cooler if you don't want to see that whine again down the road.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Sorry for the bad news but your best bet is to get on the waiting list for a new one. They are out there, they just take a long time to get in. Once installed, find some sort of diff cooler if you don't want to see that whine again down the road.
Thanks for all the work. Really trying to do a diff cooler this summer before hitting a road course again.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
There are a couple of aftermarket differential setups out there now, including of course G-Force's option.

Honestly, what $3000 for a new GM unit with shipping, plus the wait; then $500+ for a cooler and the time to replace it, only to risk having it happen twice for almost $4k after odds and ends - or just jump on an aftermarket setup for $6k with stronger everything? I might just wait until mine dies then do the swap.

·
Registered
760 Posts
There are a couple of aftermarket differential setups out there now, including of course G-Force's option.

Honestly, what $3000 for a new GM unit with shipping, plus the wait; then $500+ for a cooler and the time to replace it, only to risk having it happen twice for almost $4k after odds and ends - or just jump on an aftermarket setup for $6k with stronger everything? I might just wait until mine dies then do the swap.
Once Creative Steel comes out with their driveshaft adapter, their kit will be well under 6k. Closes the gap considerably.

·
Super Moderator
16,452 Posts
Just curious is the GU5 diff for the regular CTS the same diff as the CTS-V? I need to find a diff for my car. If not do you guys know the part number of the V diff that would be amazing
Not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 108 of 108 Posts