Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V 2010, Mercedes SL 63 AMG 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Than you everyone for your help. I am looking for quick help. during an attempt to change my front shocks on CTS-v 2010 I had faced the problem of not being capable to remove the top 18mm nut that holds the shock to the mount (top control arm) the nut is turning with the shock inner shaft (not sure if that would be the correct name of this).
What are my options to remove the 18mm?

·
Registered
108 Posts
really fast impact gun has always worked for me on other vehicles.

Reactions: rpw1690

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
You're using a spring compressor right?? Thought I should ask. If you're in a pinch you can go to harbor freight racing and buy a set of the pass through style sockets. It's just a socket with a ratcheting box wrench style tool so you can turn it with an Allen through the middle... That said a good impact will do, or if you're junking the shocks good vice grips on the shaft.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,118 Posts
“It was bent so we had to do something extremely dangerous and stupid.”

No. You didn’t “have to”, the proper procedure would be to either use a different type of compressor OR scrap the unsafe assembly.
There is NO excuse for this and it would a firing offense at many shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
868 Posts
You wanna see something really fucked up? Look up lock ring loader tire accidents... Makes a spring to the face look like a dog licking your cheek lol. I had a kid come to swap some large loader tires for me, he must've been new... Came in and asked me if I knew how the rings worked, I was like, "Bud I suggest you call someone that knows, because I really don't feel like seeing a guy cut in half today.".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Every one, thank you for fast replays!

So absolutely I am using spring compressors, I don't think it would be possible to do anything without them.

Regarding using any type of passthrough sockets I think it is pointless as (at list on CTS-V shocks) there is no Alan key. socket (or anywhere socket) to hookup.

It looks that impact gun is only option, sadly I don't have one on hand.

·
Registered
150 Posts

this is what I bought off of Amazon and it worked great to do my struts on the V. something like $150 bucks. once the pressure is off it is easy to remove the nut. you are going to have to go to Harbor Freight and get the offset wrench to get the nut off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 149820
this is what I bought off of Amazon and it worked great to do my struts on the V. something like $150 bucks. once the pressure is off it is easy to remove the nut. you are going to have to go to Harbor Freight and get the offset wrench to get the nut off.
Wow looks grate, would love to have one but I would say that is a bit of overkill for one time of Jobe (DYI), I can assure everyone that there is zero spring tension on any of the assembly part(s). Basically it goes up and down and the 18 mm turn with the damn "shaft" and there is no way to loos that nut :( I would expect some hook point like only any other cur to stuff in some Alan key in stop it from turning! But there you go nothin :((((

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,118 Posts
You need to borrow or rent an impact wrench. Half-inch drive, electric (corded). Five minutes, you are done.
easy-peasy

·
Registered
265 Posts
Spend the cash to buy the correct tool for the job or have a shop do it.

Any small no name tire shop with a high torque impact would do this for cash if you had it already hooked up to the spring compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a big boy impact, spring compressor, and more, but nothing would break that nut loose. My shock DNF'd to get that nut off and luckily it was leaking before that. I had to cut the shaft, putting it in a vise, and hit it with the breaker bar to break it loose. I wish I had pass-through sockets as those may have worked, though the effort it took is a break bar was much more than I anticipated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts