Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm currently in negotiations for a 2013 sedan. I have not been able to find anything local, so it is a long distance transaction, so I can't see the car in person. I had them put it on a lift an snap some photos. Attached is one showing that the car went over something, scraping the frame rail and crushing the driver's side exhaust between the cats. Questions:

Will the amount of damage in the photos cause any other damage, e.g., valves?
Is a reasonable request to have the exhaust replaced with a stock exhaust from the manifolds back?
Based on the photo, would you be concerned that the car slid down the frame rail?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Hey Joe. That is stock from factory. No reason to be concerned with the exhaust.
The frame does look scratched though, looks like it was jacked up from both sides by someone who didn't know the correct lift points as long as it's not cracked I'd say your fine.

Don't be concerned with the exhaust, they are all like that.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Also that car looks very clean from the underside.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yep the scrap is not factory, but the flat exhaust pipe is. I wouldn't be worried about that little scrap.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes the exhaust crushed is normal. I was surprised when I noticed that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, all! What is the reasoning behind the flattened exhaust on that side? Clearnace?

Thanks again!!

Joe

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Thank you, all! What is the reasoning behind the flattened exhaust on that side? Clearnace?

Thanks again!!

Joe
Probably clearnace with the way the cat outlet is, but not sure why they did it. With full 3" pipe there is no issue.

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
Probably clearnace with the way the cat outlet is, but not sure why they did it. With full 3" pipe there is no issue.
Well - I will say with my full 3 inch exhaust, and with the collector located where it is (Kooks), the exhaust does hang "too low" IMHO. Is it actually too low? Well no - but it does hang lower than the frame, and my guess is that's why Caddy did it. In the US (and maybe other places too), manufacturers have pretty high standards for warranty of the emissions control systems - 10 years I think. They probably situated the exhaust so that the frame would be the lowest point and possibly provide some protection for it to some extent.

OP-
A lot of people get bent out of shape (get it?) about the crushed exhaust. But at stock power levels, it's hardly a restriction. But many characterize it that way - probably because those same folks are selling exhaust parts! Now once you start modding up, you definitely can get into restrictions...but even then they aren't that much.

I too would say that car looks pretty good underneath. No reason not to buy it based on that photo at least.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well - I will say with my full 3 inch exhaust, and with the collector located where it is (Kooks), the exhaust does hang "too low" IMHO. Is it actually too low? Well no - but it does hang lower than the frame, and my guess is that's why Caddy did it. In the US (and maybe other places too), manufacturers have pretty high standards for warranty of the emissions control systems - 10 years I think. They probably situated the exhaust so that the frame would be the lowest point and possibly provide some protection for it to some extent.

OP-
A lot of people get bent out of shape (get it?) about the crushed exhaust. But at stock power levels, it's hardly a restriction. But many characterize it that way - probably because those same folks are selling exhaust parts! Now once you start modding up, you definitely can get into restrictions...but even then they aren't that much.

I too would say that car looks pretty good underneath. No reason not to buy it based on that photo at least.

Great feedback! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

OP-

I agree probably a warranty/regulation thing.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
There are a lot of guys on here from around the cuntry(lol) willing to look it over for you since it is lot local to you. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are a lot of guys on here from around the cuntry(lol) willing to look it over for you since it is lot local to you. Just throwing it out there.
Anyone in Minneapolis with nothing to do this morning? Hope to close the deal today. :)

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate everyone's time and support!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good luck with your purchase. I bought my 2013, Sedan, 6 speed, a little over 3 years ago and have been very pleased with it.
How many miles on it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good luck with your purchase. I bought my 2013, Sedan, 6 speed, a little over 3 years ago and have been very pleased with it.
How many miles on it?
Thanks, I hope it goes well.

Sitting at 18,750...

Edit: I'm coming from a two-door Corvette, so looking forward to the four-door version, specifically the space for the kids, comfort up front, and a much less conspicuous appearance. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Grand Sport, but when you are old and fat, you need to kick the damn door open and a lift to get out of that car.

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts