Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done some searching on the subject with limited results. As the title says I will hit 100k miles in the near future. I was wondering how long a well maintained stock car will go? What kills them?

·
Super Moderator
20,841 Posts
If it’s well maintained, it should be good for another 100k, maybe.

It’s when the maintenance is lacking, or if you overhear it, then there’s problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
212,377.2 miles. At that point, they crack the engine block and spray innocent bystanders with piston debris and oil (3 stooges style).

Honestly, I drove 4 V2's up to 100k without any "maintenance" or "issues" (other than oil changes). If you don't count the 1 rear end differential replacement, never even had a hiccup hiccup on any of them (daily drivers with drag racing duty on any warm weekends).

No reason you can't see over 300,000 miles on a (well maintained) stock LSA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about the rear diff? I had one fail already. I believe I have found isolated cases on this site of multiple replacements. Is it common to need a diff several times?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Slightly on subject but there is a 140k wagon for sale in Atlanta for $25k, pics look pretty good too
is that the red one? It has been for sale forever. I never went to check it out though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Auto transmission is most likely going to be the first major component to go out. On a stock v2 with 86k trans was ok, upper pulley and a tune, trans toast. So basically I say that once you get near 100k either keep it bone stock, or build it to The tits.

·
Premium Member
12,769 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Auto transmission is most likely going to be the first major component to go out. On a stock v2 with 86k trans was ok, upper pulley and a tune, trans toast. So basically I say that once you get near 100k either keep it bone stock, or build it to The tits.
Thanks, that's good to know. Have considered the pulley with supporting items but will now take a pass.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
212,377.2 miles. At that point, they crack the engine block and spray innocent bystanders with piston debris and oil (3 stooges style).

Honestly, I drove 4 V2's up to 100k without any "maintenance" or "issues" (other than oil changes). If you don't count the 1 rear end differential replacement, never even had a hiccup hiccup on any of them (daily drivers with drag racing duty on any warm weekends).

No reason you can't see over 300,000 miles on a (well maintained) stock LSA.
You did this with modded ones or stock only?

I only ask cause guys say the oil pumps die around the 100k mark

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks, that's good to know. Have considered the pulley with supporting items but will now take a pass.

i started modding my v with 72 k on the clock 21 months ago. the only stock parts left are the short block minus the cam,lifters,oil pump & the trans. just took the car on a 1200 mile trip. no issues. (besides gas mileage) i wouldnt hesitate to modify a high mileage v2. i do change the oil every 2500 miles and cut the filter open. i dont expect it to live forever but i have been impressed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've changed out all fluids multiple times and I just put in a cam and heads and I have around 93k miles. My piston tops did have quite a bit of buildup that we cleaned.
I drive it in traffic and I drive it hard but I always manually downshift if i'm going WOT. My trans shifts as good as new (knock on wood)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Reactions: random84

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Reactions: random84
1 - 20 of 49 Posts