Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
161 - 180 of 212 Posts

· Premium Member
17,818 Posts
Don't forget the Prop 65 warning.
California just needs to admit to itself that Everything causes cancer- including living in California.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
4,444 Posts
Maybe they should tattoo that on all newborns before leaving the maternity ward.

Reactions: MrSurly

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Just out of curiosity - if you've noticed your subframe was cracked, are you running the stock suspension still, or have you made mods like, for instance, Eibach springs, bigger wheels/tires, sway bar upgrade, coil overs, etc...?

· Premium Member
2011 CTSV Coupe M BLK LSX376-B15
1,155 Posts
Just out of curiosity - if you've noticed your subframe was cracked, are you running the stock suspension still, or have you made mods like, for instance, Eibach springs, bigger wheels/tires, sway bar upgrade, coil overs, etc...?
No cracks, stock suspension, stock wheels. I am going to replace the cradle later this year with chromoly.

· Registered
2004 SRX, 2012 CTS Wagon
24 Posts
Just one man's opinion: you are fooling yourself.
I'm not saying you are doomed or that it will progress rapidly (maybe not at all) but I believe is a crack.
Keep an eye on it and take pics each time.

You were 100% correct MrSurly! Here I am 7 months later in the shop getting the upper and lower control arms and struts replaced. Now I'm waiting for the fabricator to come and weld the frame tomorrow. This is some scary stuff!
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Silver Tire

· Premium Member
1,155 Posts
You were 100% correct MrSurly! Here I am 7 months later in the shop getting the upper and lower control arms and struts replaced. Now I'm waiting for the fabricator to come and weld the frame tomorrow. This is some scary stuff!
View attachment 164191 View attachment 164192
Just a matter of time before small turns into big. Keep an eye on the weld repair, unless properly annealed there is a good chance it will crack again.

· Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I drive mine like I stole it. New brakes and tires every year. No cracks have come back yet. On the way to a new set of Pirelli tires…
Excellent news!

Read my #122 post. Posts #151 and #157 killed my offer to make chromoly cradles available. The cradle I commissioned will probably get installed later this year. Fortunately, I have no cracks at this time.

· Premium Member
1,677 Posts
90k miles and no cracks on mine.

· Registered
2004 SRX, 2012 CTS Wagon
24 Posts
SO..... the weld didn't hold up on the test drive. I am currently fighting with the shop owner, (who I like and have had work done there before) about why his weld tech removed so much material and I can plainly see the crack pattern before they put it back together. He is now looking for a replacement subframe. Any and all help from this forum is greatly appreciated. Mainly, is there an aftermarket subframe available for the 3.6L? It also looks like the lower bushing burst when the tab broke off.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Rim

2012 CTS Wagon, Premium, RWD, 3.6L, VIN #1G6DP8E39C0115024.having a little difficulty finding the correct part.

· Premium Member
Fun pedal, Few doors
3,678 Posts
Well, that’s the first one I’ve seen that fully separated.
But that is one ridiculously shitty excuse for a weld.
There was no adequate preparation AND no penetration (at all) and no actual repair was affected.

This is NOT evidence that a weld is not a viable fix…. it is proof positive that the welder didn’t know what he was doing, at all

· Registered
2004 SRX, 2012 CTS Wagon
24 Posts
Yeah, I'm mad as hell. He shouldn't have let that guy near my vehicle. He told me he had welded for him before and did good work. This shop specializes in lifted jeeps and trucks but do alignments and other builds including custom roll cages. I told them that you can clearly see the crack after they dressed it and they should have stopped there. Now the shop is looking for a subframe and I'm looking for another car as this is my daily and I don't have a backup. Can anyone verify the proper part number according to my VIN? (1G6DP8E39C0115024) It's a 3.6L RWD. I can't help to think that this is going to end up in court. Thanks for all the input.

· Premium Member
13,953 Posts
Yeah, I'm mad as hell. He shouldn't have let that guy near my vehicle. He told me he had welded for him before and did good work. This shop specializes in lifted jeeps and trucks but do alignments and other builds including custom roll cages. I told them that you can clearly see the crack after they dressed it and they should have stopped there. Now the shop is looking for a subframe and I'm looking for another car as this is my daily and I don't have a backup. Can anyone verify the proper part number according to my VIN? (1G6DP8E39C0115024) It's a 3.6L RWD. I can't help to think that this is going to end up in court. Thanks for all the input.
not to beat you up but no way would I have left the shop with that, that was dangerous
I think:

161 - 180 of 212 Posts