Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V coupe 6 speed manual and while getting my driveshaft re balanced the shop noticed a crack in my subframe drivers side. So I try to order a new subframe or find an aftermarket subframe can't find one so I head over to ebay find a "good used one" but it is cracked as will as anyone had an issue with there subframe? Last two pictures are of the one I got from eBay
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Grey

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Road surface

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface
su
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grey

· Registered
813 Posts
Wow.

Well since you’ve already purchased a replacement and have the part out of the car. Maybe try contacting a local machine shop and see what their suggestion is for reinforcement or strengthening that weak area?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I sent it to a fabricator he can repair the cracked portion hopefully he can find a way to strengthen it I found a company that makes one for our cars but it doesn't have a position for the ABS module and you have to lose your sway bar which I don't want to do
Bicycle part Sports equipment Font Musical instrument accessory Recreation

· Registered
206 Posts
It's still available from my GM source in Canada... which I can tell you gets ordered from the USA.

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's still available from my GM source in Canada... which I can tell you gets ordered from the USA.

View attachment 157845
Yeah I checked with my gm parts representative here in the USA and said there is no eta when it will be available also I don't want the new one to crack as well I wonder if any one else has had the same problem

· Premium Member
3,042 Posts
If a fab shop is gonna fix it for you, make sure they do the same to both sides.

· Registered
54 Posts
Geez now I gotta check mine.

• Wow
Reactions: MrSurly

· Registered
30 Posts
Just know the weld can often times be weaker due to the base metals faster heat dispersion than steel. Now I'm not sure what the series/grade of the base metal is but that can have an effect on the strength of the weld based on what type of filler is used.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geez now I gotta check mine.
That's one of the main reasons why I posted this for us to check our cars I don't know how many years of mine has been cracked for and also to find out if it has happened to the people
Just know the weld can often times be weaker due to the base metals faster heat dispersion than steel. Now I'm not sure what the series/grade of the base metal is but that can have an effect on the strength of the weld based on what type of filler is used.
Yeah but that section is not welded it is a machined

· Registered
499 Posts
Mine was cracked when I started installing the CS bushings. Paid about the price OP listed from GM. Found a good used one for $1k but was willing to pay slightly more for a critical piece. This area does seem a little thin considering all the stress it is under…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
54 Posts
Yup, mine's cracked too. Looks like I'm pulling a sub frame and doing some welding today unexpectedly.

I cannot believe these highly loaded structural areas are machined sooo super thin, like 2-3 mm is shaved away leaving only about 3 mm remaining.

· Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Yup, mine's cracked too. Looks like I'm pulling a sub frame and doing some welding today unexpectedly.

I cannot believe these highly loaded structural areas are machined sooo super thin, like 2-3 mm is shaved away leaving only about 3 mm remaining.
Boo. Hiss. Sorry to hear this.

Please let us know how the welding goes. You know. "Just in case."

· Registered
54 Posts
Well I'm sure you've been through this. How'd it work out for you?

· Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Well I'm sure you've been through this. How'd it work out for you?
Nope, no experience (yet). I'll be checking on it though.

I'm hoping the steel inserts from the poly mounts keep the tangs from collapsing too much.

If it happens, I'll have to pull everything and find a local welder I guess.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
17,826 Posts
Well, no cracks. Lucky me!

I'm surprised given I have 95,000 miles - mostly lowered and on wider wheels - compared to stock.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
5,984 Posts
Boo. Hiss. Sorry to hear this.

Please let us know how the welding goes. You know. "Just in case."
Would this, possibly be. . . Your last mod..lol

· Registered
309 Posts
I have a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V coupe 6 speed manual and while getting my driveshaft re balanced the shop noticed a crack in my subframe drivers side. So I try to order a new subframe or find an aftermarket subframe can't find one so I head over to ebay find a "good used one" but it is cracked as will as anyone had an issue with there subframe? Last two pictures are of the one I got from eBay
Was this causing any suspension noises/clunks for you? I need to check mine...

· Premium Member
2011 CTSV Coupe M BLK LSX376-B15
1,161 Posts
I have a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V coupe 6 speed manual and while getting my driveshaft re balanced the shop noticed a crack in my subframe drivers side. So I try to order a new subframe or find an aftermarket subframe can't find one so I head over to ebay find a "good used one" but it is cracked as will as anyone had an issue with there subframe? Last two pictures are of the one I got from eBay View attachment 157841
View attachment 157840
View attachment 157836
View attachment 157839
View attachment 157837
View attachment 157835 su
View attachment 157838
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll make sure to check mine next time on the lift. Wonder if it was bad alloy or process failure in manufacturing that may have caused the issue, design maybe?

1 - 20 of 212 Posts