Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Broward Sheriff's deputy Scot Peterson has been arrested and charged with 11 combined counts of failing to protect a child and negligence, over his failure to act during the Valentine's Day mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last year.

The records appear to support Broward Sheriff Scott Israel’s contention that Peterson, a longtime school resource officer, should have entered Building 12 to engage Cruz and try to prevent deaths. They also appear to show that other deputies may have refrained from rushing into the school at the direction of Peterson and a Parkland captain. The response by the agency has been the subject of national scrutiny, and is currently under review by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. -Miami Herald
Peterson resigned before he could be fired. In May, he wrote a 14-page letter to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission insisting that he was simply following his training.

"I assessed the situation and acted accordingly to the real-time intelligence I assessed on the scene," wrote Peterson, adding that he was "in compliance with the Broward Sheriff’s Office Active Shooter Policy."
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-04/coward-broward-arrested-former-sheriffs-deputy-who-ran-mass-shooting-faces-11
------------------------------------------------- END NEWS CLIP -------------------------------------------

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. My first reaction is that it shouldn't be a crime for a cop to get scared when unknown person(s) start shooting, specifically when there may be contradictory "policies" en force from the PD. It's tragic that these children died, and that there were not responsible adults armed nearby to stop it (or, perhaps, say, an involved parent to keep the shooter from going on a murderous rampage in the first place!)...

But this also feels a hell of a lot like Monday Morning quarterbacking and needing someone to blame, since extracting a pound of flesh from the Shooter is politically incorrect. For fucks sake, this guy was a resource officer, not SWAT? It kind of smells like a set-up so the city has someone to blame, but at the same time I suppose it was in the job description and his failing to act could be similar to that of a soldier deserting.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Cowardice and dereliction of duty are certainly grounds for dismissal, public scorn, and disdain. Not criminal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,924 Posts
"Coward of Broward" LEO facing

Yeah it’s not criminal in my opinion.

We would all like to think we would run towards the shooter and take him out.

As a parent, that % would be high if it was to protect your child or family.

But a retired cop without direct family, I would say less than 50% would fight and 50% would flight.

Fireable offense but not criminal.

Living with his decision could be enough punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Agree with the fireable offense but not criminal angle. It certainly smells like Monday morning QB and blame game to deflect the fact that this (shithead) shooter had multiple contacts with police in the past and no action was taken.

These active shooter situations are fluid and confusing by nature, so it seems like proving the guy knew where and when to engage a shooter or shooters would be next to impossible. I'll be stunned if they can convict this guy.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
We all would like to think we would be the Brave Soldier & stand up in the face of enemy fire but nobody knows what they will do in a given situation, hearing rapid automatic gun fire would give anybody seconds thought of entering the building with only a single shot side arm ...

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
You can’t control how you will react in certain circumstances. Training helps prepare you, but it’s a game time decision when it happens. I’ve seen guys freeze. This sets a bad precedent for Law Enforcement.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The guy took a Oath for the job.

To uphold the law and enforce the policies n place.

Criminal maybe ,I don't know.

But I got the popcorn ready for this one, going to be interesting how this is handle ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
928 Posts
Unless he moves to a new country, he'll never be able to escape this or live it down. Charges serve no purpose.... such as 'justice' so I see no call for this, except to maybe burn his name & face permanently into our brains. Maybe that's it, in which case, GOOD.

On the other hand, had he performed the DUTY he took an oath to carry out, some of those children he was supposed to PROTECT might still be alive today. I certainly won't cry if he burns for this.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The Supreme Court has ruled that law enforcement is under no obligation to provide aid to a citizen in distress.

You read that right. This will get thrown out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds like a witch hunt. The guy is a POS, no doubt, but he's not in the military, which is the only place I can think of where being a coward is a punishable crime. Can cops be criminally charged for dereliction of duty?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
So does that mean law enforcement pick and choose when they want to fight crime?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
From a liability standpoint, yes. As a condition of employment, no.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
The Supreme Court has ruled that law enforcement is under no obligation to provide aid to a citizen in distress.

Yeah, the only angle they could possibly take is that, as a SRO, Peterson had a special circumstance where he was obligated with a special duty. But historically the SCOTUS has ruled according to Warren vs DC so it will likely get thrown out. Any competent lawyer will get these charges tossed.

When it first happened I was upset that a SRO was present but unwilling to aid. But looking back, self preservation is a very strong instinct. I don't fault the guy. As was hinted by others before me, no one knows what they'd really do if thrown in that situation. We'd all like to think we'd be Billy Badass and take the shooter(s) down or die trying. But when the shit does hit the fan, true fear of death affects everyone differently.

I actually don't like the charges. It does feel like someone is trying to pin some blame elsewhere to help give some solace to the victims more than it feels like any true justice.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
In the court of public opinion, there is nowhere this guy can run to to escape the wrath. Justified? Maybe, probably. As was said before, it may not be a chargeable offense, but he has to live with himself the rest of his days, that may well be sentence enough. There is no bringing the lost souls back, there is only closure, and he appears to be the one to be tied to the stake...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Not sure why The DA's office would bring charges on a case that will get tossed other than to place blame elsewhere.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah it’s not criminal in my opinion.

We would all like to think we would run towards the shooter and take him out.

As a parent, that % would be high if it was to protect your child or family.

But a retired cop without direct family, I would say less than 50% would fight and 50% would flight.

Fireable offense but not criminal.

Living with his decision could be enough punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He wasn't retired when it happened. He was active duty. He retired to avoid being fired and lose his pension.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We all would like to think we would be the Brave Soldier & stand up in the face of enemy fire but nobody knows what they will do in a given situation, hearing rapid automatic gun fire would give anybody seconds thought of entering the building with only a single shot side arm ...
Correction: It was *NOT* automatic gunfire.

That said, having had to draw a weapon in defense of myself and/or others more than once, I know exactly what I would do. It was on;y by the grace of God that I did not have to discharge my weapon, but was prepared to do so.

·
Registered
56 Posts

This.... Unfortunately.

You are responsible for your own protection. Which is why I am carrying pretty much everywhere I go. Including most places (non-governmental) with "no firearms" signs.

That being said. What he did was cowardly, and I hope he burns in Hell for it. It was not, however, criminal.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have always believed that as a law enforcement officer it is your duty to run towards the sound of the gun fire. Get close enough to assess the situation and act accordingly. Much as a firefighter running into a burning building to save lives. You're not doing a lot of protecting and serving standing outside waiting for backup while gun fire is going off inside the building. At that point the only thing you're protecting is yourself and the only thing you're serving is your will to live.

Look at the Columbine shooting. There were 2 armed officers onsite. One of the actually exchanged gun fire with one of the shooters but neither of them made any attempt to enter the building. It was until an hour after the shooting began that SWAT finally entered the school. By the then the 2 shooters had taken countless lives in the library before turning the guns on themselves.

I have 2 good friends that are police officers and family men. One of them if ex-military and is in the narcotics division. The other one is a former patrol officer turned detective who has made it clear that he will do what he can to protect people but his goal is to go home to his family at the end of his shift.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts