Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Couple issues maybe one

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  tinman 
#1 ·
Started up the V today and I heard the “power steering fluid low noise.” Looked at the dash and it was saying service power steering. Put fluid in because it was a little low. Started it back up and the steering was fine but I still heard the noise. Checked the dash again and it said battery saving mode. I have read that it’s a possible alternator issue that may be effecting the power steering pump. Any input would be greatly appreciated

#3 ·
That’s one I didn’t think of since I don’t hear any squealing. Still doesn’t mean belts not slipping. Thanks for the suggesting.

Reactions: Spearfishin
#4 ·
Probably the alternator. What's the voltage on the DIC say?

Reactions: Bigwilly1267
#5 ·

#8 ·
Dang it.

#10 ·
Thankfully, they're cheap and easy to replace! :D

#11 ·
After your 2nd time they do get easier 🤣
I've never had cars "eat" alternators like V does, wonder if maybe it's a QC issue ?
I would check the voltage at the alt as well, and check the little ring thingy (whatever it's name is) on the battery cable in the trunk, it measures the voltage, and essentially tells the alt to start pumping out more, or less. Even thu in these cars 90% of the time it's the alt that will go bad, and will possibly wipe out the battery as well.

#16 ·
Only use OEM or rebuilt OEM alternators.
I have a lot of experience with the Gen II regular CTS and some experience with the V. I have not had to do any repairs to my V as of yet, but I have been involved with the CTS family for 12 years. The regular Gen II CTS will only play well with the OEM alternator or rebuilt OEM. ONLY. Many have used aftermarket and those folks have become experienced at how to remove and replace alternators.

#19 ·
Man that dang alternator was a headache. Fixed the power steering issue and the other codes but the codes keep coming back. P0030, p0040, p0443 and a CIL. Also the temperature goes all the up and I get a engine overheat. Turn the car off or reset and everything is back to normal immediately. Start the car and it’s running great. I have blown the emm1 fuse two times though. I read I may need to change my O2 sensors, so I’m going to try that also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.